Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 11:00 AM

91 posts, read 150,386 times

Advertisements

I was just offered a job in Tulsa this morning. I've been walking around kind of in shock. The trouble is, I only applied for this job because I wanted interview experience. It's a Federal position and happens to be with my favorite agency to work for. But my wife has ZERO interest in the area, and I can understand that since we don't know anyone there. They offered me the job without an interview, which is good for the ego but I still feel frustrated, as we have been trying to get my current agency to transfer me further east (Kansas City) and it has been one aggravation after another just to get answers out of people.

My wife has MS AND fibromyalgia. One huge issue is that a there are almost no suitable houses (all one level living) in our price range in Denver (and not that many in a LOT of cities; our price range is up to 250k); we had to take a crappy house here and it's negatively impacting her health. I know Tulsa would be a huge improvement in that department. But I'd have trouble coming up with other arguments for moving there (for her; the job itself is enough enticement for me).

Tell us why we ought to move to, or stay away from, Tulsa!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 02:21 PM

125 posts, read 211,156 times
Hey there, I basically made a similar decision. For us, KC was home for more than two decades, and I miss it dearly. I understand your pricing issue, although the KC area would allow you to pick up a single-story ranch at quite a good price/sq ft. ratio in most suburbs, it's way cheaper than Denver, but Tulsa has some of the cheapest housing anywhere in the country (plus).

I was offered a job down here with a big bump in salary, and a lower cost of living. We took it, but it's been a HARD four years or so (more outgoing and hard core conservative folks will probably have an easier time than we did, socially it can be pretty isolated).

Your price range will easily get you an almost-new 2300+ sq ft home here in many subburbs. The neatest place to live seems to be closer to the University and downtown. Tulsa's downtown is really coming back now, with some stuff to see and do. It doesn't compare to bigger cities, so don't expect that, but it's way less dangerous or congested. Also, because of it's size, people here are way more reserved and very slow to accept new folks. It's not a complaint, as most any smaller town/city will be the same way, just be aware of it. I find I can usually strike up a conversation with anyone from Dallas to St Louis to Boston and they'll help you out. Here, they want to know why you're speaking to them. It takes some time.

There are many outdoor things to do here, but I'm guessing that with your wife's challenges, that might not be useful to you. For indoor activities you'll have to do some research, but they are out there.

To sum up, buy in an area based on the folks on this board that can assist with commute times (think rush-minutes, not rush-hour, a big plus over Denver-sized cities) and with home resale (you'll want a growing suburb area if you're still attempting to move to another location with your co. in less than 5 years to preserve resale obviously). Let me know if you have specific questions. I've been in two homes up north.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:21 PM

91 posts, read 150,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllyam View Post
Hey there, I basically made a similar decision. For us, KC was home for more than two decades, and I miss it dearly. I understand your pricing issue, although the KC area would allow you to pick up a single-story ranch at quite a good price/sq ft. ratio in most suburbs, it's way cheaper than Denver, but Tulsa has some of the cheapest housing anywhere in the country (plus).

I was offered a job down here with a big bump in salary, and a lower cost of living. We took it, but it's been a HARD four years or so (more outgoing and hard core conservative folks will probably have an easier time than we did, socially it can be pretty isolated).

Your price range will easily get you an almost-new 2300+ sq ft home here in many subburbs. The neatest place to live seems to be closer to the University and downtown. Tulsa's downtown is really coming back now, with some stuff to see and do. It doesn't compare to bigger cities, so don't expect that, but it's way less dangerous or congested. Also, because of it's size, people here are way more reserved and very slow to accept new folks. It's not a complaint, as most any smaller town/city will be the same way, just be aware of it. I find I can usually strike up a conversation with anyone from Dallas to St Louis to Boston and they'll help you out. Here, they want to know why you're speaking to them. It takes some time.

There are many outdoor things to do here, but I'm guessing that with your wife's challenges, that might not be useful to you. For indoor activities you'll have to do some research, but they are out there.

To sum up, buy in an area based on the folks on this board that can assist with commute times (think rush-minutes, not rush-hour, a big plus over Denver-sized cities) and with home resale (you'll want a growing suburb area if you're still attempting to move to another location with your co. in less than 5 years to preserve resale obviously). Let me know if you have specific questions. I've been in two homes up north.
Thanks for these comments. I guess I'd like to know if you think the move was the right move for you. Obviously one major difference is that you moved from somewhere you considered "home"; we've only been here 2 years and while it's a nice area with a lot to offer to most people, it just doesn't work for us. We are not conservative but have lived in a very conservative area before (northern KY; they elected a Tea Partier as their state rep a few years back) and still loved the place. We've also lived in rural New Hampshire, the ne plus ultra of reserved people, so we at least have dealt with that before (although we didn't like it). But, all the moving has taken its toll on us and we want the next move to be our last. That makes the decision even more stressful.

All this is probably academic since I seriously doubt she'll change her mind. But while this option is out there, I have to consider it because it's such a major step.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:33 AM

240 posts, read 341,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swale View Post
Thanks for these comments. I guess I'd like to know if you think the move was the right move for you. Obviously one major difference is that you moved from somewhere you considered "home"; we've only been here 2 years and while it's a nice area with a lot to offer to most people, it just doesn't work for us. We are not conservative but have lived in a very conservative area before (northern KY; they elected a Tea Partier as their state rep a few years back) and still loved the place. We've also lived in rural New Hampshire, the ne plus ultra of reserved people, so we at least have dealt with that before (although we didn't like it). But, all the moving has taken its toll on us and we want the next move to be our last. That makes the decision even more stressful.

All this is probably academic since I seriously doubt she'll change her mind. But while this option is out there, I have to consider it because it's such a major step.
When I rent a car in San Diego, both renter and employee from Tulsa. They have the same experience as me: Tulsa sucks. It is a disrepair city in the middle of nowhere with bunch of toll roads. It makes me sick at least.

If all my kids leave college, I may give up Denver for Tulsa for building retirement savings quicker (you will spend much less in Tulsa). If not, I would not even think about it..

BTW, the best city to hunt a federal position should be in DC, i believe.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:10 PM

641 posts, read 1,064,899 times
Tulsa is less in the middle of nowhere than Denver. And a city is a city.

And if you don't want to come to Tulsa, don't come. Dilemma solved. If your wife has zero interest in the area, I'd say stay far away.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:38 PM

95 posts, read 153,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USERXXXX View Post
When I rent a car in San Diego, both renter and employee from Tulsa. They have the same experience as me: Tulsa sucks. It is a disrepair city in the middle of nowhere with bunch of toll roads. It makes me sick at least.

If all my kids leave college, I may give up Denver for Tulsa for building retirement savings quicker (you will spend much less in Tulsa). If not, I would not even think about it..

BTW, the best city to hunt a federal position should be in DC, i believe.
Your posting history indicates you live somewhere that isn't Tulsa (or even Oklahoma for that matter).

So you're forming opinions based on what you heard from someone at the rental car counter?

Tulsa is not in disrepair, and it has considerably LESS toll roads than a place like Dallas or Denver. The tolls that are in Tulsa, are cheap to use.

It's the 2nd largest city in the state, and its economy is built more on finance and tech. It's more hilly than the rest of OK due to proximity to the Ozarks. It's a great place to live if you want good cost of living, lots of space (acreage properties), and an easy drive to the Ozarks region for nature type activities.

OP - Based on your 1st post, I think Tulsa would be a great choice. $250k will get you a VERY nice home, and Tulsa has a lot of great medical facilities if your wife needs continuing care. Your dollar will go further here than almost anywhere else in the US, and the lack of congestion and crime makes it a very peaceful place to live.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:23 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,475,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
Tulsa is less in the middle of nowhere than Denver. And a city is a city.

And if you don't want to come to Tulsa, don't come. Dilemma solved. If your wife has zero interest in the area, I'd say stay far away.
If he can make more money in Tulsa, then his wife should be more interested in that aspect of things.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:35 PM

17,617 posts, read 13,429,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If he can make more money in Tulsa, then his wife should be more interested in that aspect of things.
I think another thing to consider about Tulsa is that with ORU and Rhema college, we have some really outstanding faith healers there.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:16 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,376,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I think another thing to consider about Tulsa is that with ORU and Rhema college, we have some really outstanding faith healers there.
If there were a prize for the best post ever, you would be the winner!

Old 01-02-2016, 03:25 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,475,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Can they heal newcomers of their hatred of Tulsa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa