U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,271 times

Advertisements

DFW is my second choice. We'd like to visit both areas. The problem with Dallas area or San Antonio is that I really can't find any acreage unless we want a manufactured home. Housing is very affordable in Oklahoma and we can afford acreage. I am an investor and my husband works in manufacturing. As long as we're driving distance to a city that he can work in, I'm sure he'll get a job eventually. The reason why I said it would be easier for my boys is because if they start saving for a house when they're 16, by the time they're in their early 20's they could potentially have enough money to buy a house cash in Tulsa and be able to live off of one income. Houses in San Diego are $450,000 plus...and for nothing great at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 08:12 PM

241 posts, read 334,481 times
Well at that point it honestly comes to down to what you want from a city. I'm sure you could find some acreage in the far reaches of the DFW metro such as north Denton, Sanger, etc.

My personal opinion is I'd never live in Tulsa because I'm just not a fan of the vibe. But I'd highly recommend checking it out and checking DFW out.

Also, if you're really wanting acreage(although I don't know how cheap it is), have you thought about Waco? It's in the middle of Fort Wort and Austin. I-35 is pretty much six laned from Fort Worth to Austin and Waco is smack dab in the middle. Population roughly 145k or so and is growing at a steady rate. I'm sure you could find beautiful acreage out there.

Austin really isn't that cheap and I have no clue about San Antonio. College Station is another city closer to a huge metro(Houston) that I've good things about. Again, about 120k people or so.

The reason I mention those cities is they are close(within an hour drive or so) to large metros and could have some acreage you are looking for.

If anything else, I'd definitely hit up Tulsa, OKC, Arkansas(pretty cool state) or maybe Denver.

If you don't mind me asking, what is attracting you to Oklahoma specifically?

Old 10-25-2016, 04:14 PM

858 posts, read 1,410,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
It is all ok)) You go to ProCuts with a coupon. What is "cheap" here? Groceries, gas, utilities, houses? Car tags!!!!

Housing is pretty cheap in the Tulsa area. One of the lowest in the nation
Gasoline is just about the very cheapest in the nation
Utilities are also quite low, among the lowest in the nation
Home and car insurance are high here (hail storms)
Taxes are low (we have the roads and schools to prove it)
Food is about average, maybe a little less than average

As for haircuts, you can pay what you want. Supercuts for $10 or go to Ihloff’s and spend $120. Mine is about $27 with tip. I’m not sure that’s a shocking price, it certainly wouldn’t be on the coasts.

Overall Tulsa’s cost of living is very low nationally (ranked 53rd of the 70 largest metro areas) our while our income is just outside the top 10% in income (40th out of 381 metro areas). This leads to the fact that Tulsa has one the best affordability rankings in the country. For example, Tulsa is the 17th most affordable housing market out of the top 100 metros. These are all very good rankings.

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l.../north-america
BEA: News Release: Real Personal Income for States and Metropolitan Areas, 2014
Ranking Metros' Housing Affordability

Old 10-25-2016, 08:59 PM

241 posts, read 334,481 times
I can't believe how high car insurance is in California. For reason, I foolishly believed car insurance would be cheaper in California than Oklahoma, but it's not.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:18 PM

858 posts, read 1,410,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
I can't believe how high car insurance is in California. For reason, I foolishly believed car insurance would be cheaper in California than Oklahoma, but it's not.
Mexico City has better and more considerate drivers than LA

Old 10-26-2016, 12:27 AM

9,647 posts, read 12,669,354 times
Default Yesh!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Mexico City has better and more considerate drivers than LA

Yesh.........but they would probably ( Kidnap You ) in Mexico City Mexico

Old 11-23-2016, 02:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 839,559 times
DFW is a huge rat race. I've been in Tulsa since 1977. Still small for a big city and has lots of lakes close by. Just don't bring a big government mentality if you come. Hope you like freer gun rights.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:36 AM

16,957 posts, read 13,989,176 times
Life is how you make it, and if you want to try to make it by being poor, well, I'm afraid Oklahoma isn't a good state to do that in. The minimum wage in Oklahoma is still $7.25 an hour, indefinitely. In Arkansas, the min. wage goes up to $8.50 on Jan. 1. So if you're part of the working poor go there.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:30 PM

7,446 posts, read 4,804,449 times
I live in the San Diego area and have spent time in Tulsa. To me, Tulsa itself feels like a mini-San Diego in some respects, so it won't be a huge adjustment in that regard.

Outside of Tulsa things feel a lot like east county San Diego to me, especially the outer reaches of east county (i.e., Campo, Descanso). If you would be comfortable living in East County San Diego, then you should be fine living outside of Tulsa. (Of course, you won't have the east county mountains in Oklahoma).

But perhaps there is no need to move to Oklahoma (or Texas) at all. If your goal is to find more property at a lower price, and surround yourself with more people who share your values, then you might also want to look towards East County San Diego County. Check out places like Campo, Potrero, Dulzura, Pine Valley, Descanso, Boulevard. There are lots of people who homeschool their kids in these areas, who share values similar to yours, and you will find the home prices much more reasonable than more developed areas closer to the coast.

Or consider other less expensive areas in California. It's still possible to buy a nice home for $300,000 in parts of Riverside County, Imperial County, the high desert, the Central Valley, or northern California.

Then you are just a hop skip and a jump to San Diego proper to visit your family and friends, and you can easily get a fix of San Diego when you feel the need.

However, if you are buying acreage anywhere, your husband needs to get up to speed on how do things himself. It gets expensive quickly if one needs to hire help to do work around one's property. We live on close to four acres in East County and my husband and I have learned this by necessity.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by RosieSD; 12-02-2016 at 12:39 PM..

Old 12-03-2016, 07:46 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,503,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen627 View Post
Both my husband and I have lived in San Diego all of our lives. I'm white and my husband is Filipino. We are conservative Christians and we homeschool our 3 kids. We're considering moving to OK mainly because the housing is so much cheaper and also because we think raising a family in Oklahoma will be so much easier for our boys as adults.
I don't think you will have any issues.

I recommend visiting if possible. Check out Tulsa/OKC and DFW. You really can't compare DFW to the others because it has way more of everything.

Stay in Oklahoma if you want cheaper property taxes. I think while overall Oklahoma has some cheaper land there is some reasonable priced places in Texas. Your property taxes will be about 2x though.

No income tax in TX.

No grocery tax in TX.

There are some very good schools in North Texas.

Summers are about the same. Winters are much more mild in Dallas and on South. Tulsa and OKC you will deal with snow and Ice Storms....which is rarely a problem in the DFW area.

It sounds like what you want can be found .....outside....the bigger cities though. I would look at any place from about an hour or so south of DFW up to OKC and over to Tulsa. Any one of the larger small towns along this would be ideal for you. Corsicana, Terrell, Sanger, Sherman, Ardmore, Pauls Valley, etc.

I have seen some great properties around Sherman, Sanger and Valley View.

Look around at properties available in the smaller towns outside DFW and OKC.

I will give you a couple tips though. I highly highly recommend you purchase a home with (or add it yourself) some type of fireplace and a tornado shelter.

A wood stove is a better than a fireplace as it heats better and is easy to cook off of using regular pots and pans. Ice storms can knock power out in these parts for a month, even in the larger small towns. Last year about this time I think some 70,000+ people were without power for the weekend due to an ice storm. Some of them were in fair sized cities. In 2002 some 250,000 people lost power. Some for more than a month.

Something like this is ideal and is easy to add.....

Doesn't have to have the window doors in the front. The one we had growing up was a top load one with no windows. Worked very well to heat the entire main room, kitchen and dining room. We cooked many times on that stove with oil lamps while the power was out.

Secondly a good in ground tornado shelter can double as a good root cellar and I shouldn't have to comment on the need for a tornado shelter if your moving into to Oklahoma.

Last edited by justanokie; 12-03-2016 at 07:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or