U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2007, 10:42 AM

5 posts, read 24,854 times

Advertisements

So, I really don't want to spent time rebutting people's feelings, thoughts, but would rather just give my honest opinion of Tuls as a young professional, born and raised here. I must admit that I have been looking at moving out of Tulsa, but merely b/c I have been here my. whole. life. and a change would be very nice. However, I am very reluctant to leave b/c I have realized although I'm well-traveled, Tulsa is truly a great place to live. However, I must make the caviat that some of you will agree with.. it's a great place to live partly b/c I AM from here. I know where to go, what to do, what to see and have "roots" so to speak here.

I know Sallybell was worried about the conservative nature of this place. While I can feel your concern, I am, nor have I ever been, very religious. I mean, I have my faith, but I do not attend a regular church and find myself quite a bit more liberal than many here. HOWEVER, you must keep in mind that I have company in that I am 20something, a professional, and therefore have recently graduated college friends that are liberal. It's all about finding your crowd here. I have witnessed (and helped) people become comfortable here.. but have also witnessed people lock up in some shell. It, unfortunately, is easy to do here (lock up, that is) for the sheer reason that since there isn't as much going on (or so it seems), you must FIND activities instead of them finding you. Many large cities have ads, etc for things to do. Whereas here, I didn't even KNOW the Lion King came to our performing arts center until I looked out my office window at the bldg (below mine). I just think Tulsa has a HORRIBLE person doing their PR.. if indeed there is anyone doing it.

Look, here's the deal.. midtown is THE area you need to live in here. It has LOTS more liberal, young people. The conservatives tend to move out south to (Bixby, Jenks) or North (Owasso) (These are all very popular suburbs) The houses out there are a mass of look-alikes with no character. I am a fan of the eclectic midtown area. HOWEVER, beeeee careful in that some housing sites call "midtown" 51st. Um. I dont think so. Maybe people disagree, but to me, the true more-fun-liberal-more-stuff-to-do is like Florence Park (15th to 21st between Harvard and Lewis) or Brookside (31st and Peoria to 41st and Peoria) Check out those areas. I dont know how much you're wanting to spend, but those areas range in price. I LOVE the houses off 21st, 31st and Lewis, Peoria and some Harvard. People remodel them and keep them up. It's quite refreshing the way the houses maintain their character..and the people in them often have character reflecting the same.. less mass produced...less "suburbia." Additionally, these places sell fairly fast and move up in value, so you wont be out money. If you move "south" (as people call it around here), you will be moving into a house that wont sell as easily (in my opinion) b/c why would it when someone could just go build one out there for the same price as buying one? Some will say you get more bang for your buck, but I LOVE the midtown area and highly recommend if you're coming to Tulsa.

As for the having to "look" for everything in Tulsa.. Here's the deal... Tulsa is a city that is just functional. I mean.. it's very functional in that it's not advertising for tourists.. it's not advertising for lots of jobs...it's not really doing much.. b/c there are like 6 degrees of separation in this city. While it's a decent sized city, there are connections everywhere. I dont know if it's from old oil money, I have no idea.. but people fill jobs internally or through friends. The new year party I went to had 500 plus 20 to 30 somethings and it was simply AMAZING... a charity gala.. but was it advertised? Um. No. Total word of mouth. THAT sucks about Tulsa if you're not from here. I will freely admit that.

About the walking around, yeah, people are lazy. I LOVE to walk places and I agree that walking to Utica Square would be awesome. You need to find a good realtor like Jackie Crews or Gordon Shelton (from mcgraw davisson stewart) who specializes in midtown. They will understand what you want more. Trust me.

I advise you to get involved in order to find out about the fun things that us liberal, "cool kids" haha.. do.. I am involved in Tulsa young professionals (its not just for 20somethings.. it ranges quite a bit through late 30s) It's http://www.typros.org/ Check it out at least. Go visit Philbrook art museum. The area is to die for with gorgeous homes and the museum grounds are simply gorgeous.. The museum is good, but the grounds and surroundings are worth a look. My post is too long.. making it two posts.. so keep reading the next one...
Rate this post positively

Old 01-11-2007, 10:44 AM

5 posts, read 24,854 times
Default second half of my reply....

Night life: downtown blows. ass. I know it does. It makes me sad, but brookside is truly a fun place with restaurants, bars, etc. Cherry Street is great, too. I HATE chain restaurants. If you do (as you say you do) DONT GO SOUTH! Stay midtown!! STAY!!!!! Seriously. When you come again, eat at the following:
Tucci's Italian (its on 15th between Peoria and Lewis)
Thai Siam (31st and Sheridan in a kinda weird looking shopping center.. its good. promise) or Lanna Thai (on 51st and harvard in a shopping center. also VERY good)
Want a good deli/sandwich/dessert place? My FAVORITE is Queenies in Utica Square.
and you simply CANNOT pass up a breakfast at the Wild Fork in Utica Square. In the spring, it's crawling with people who eat outside, bring their dogs, etc.. it's seriously cute adn the food is GREAT for breakfast there.
Want something more liberal and casual for breakfast to see those of us who actually go to the bars and wake up and go to breakfast the next day? haha.. Go to Brookside by Day..on around 32nd and Peoria.
Want sushi? Go to In the Raw on Brookside. Good stuff and trendy/different scene than typical tulsa)

Check out this website http://www.bestoftulsa.com/

I could write more.. I understand your feelings.. I understand everyone's for that matter and can relate to them all. Don't be too harsh on Tulsa. Its full of good people, good food and is a city tucked in a community if you ask me. Just just have to know where to look. I'll offer more advice later. Good luck.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:18 PM

12 posts, read 41,427 times
Tulsalawyr: Your post was incredibly informative! I've been to Tulsa a few times over the past couple of years and consider myself pretty framiliar with how to get around and such but with plans to move there from Toronto, Canada next year finally starting to come together it's good to learn more.

I look forward to reading other posts from you.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 11,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
* Okiangel: I only explored a tiny part of Western Arkansas, around Siloam Springs and not reaching Bentonville (famous for Wal-Mart). It was very rural, seemed very poor and SO beautiful. Unspoiled nature and forests and rolling hills and just a great drive through real America. Coming from New York, it was a very welcomed change of a road trip.

* Sallybell: I had the same impression of Tulsa when I went there. There was nobody out in town! It was as if a nuclear bomb had dropped in downtown. Where are the people? Probably in their houses or driving. I should ask my Tulsan family.
So much for their "sophistication": even that Utica Square place they say is so cool is just an outdoor MALL (upscale, though) where Starbucks is listed as "specialty foods" and their restaurants include more Starbucks and Olive Garden. Take that.

* Mauigranma: But there must be a reason for you to move to Tulsa beyond cheap housing and escaping the California gang land. As my wife says, we could move to Alabama and be filthy rich with our Manhattan salary. But what's the point? We live in the greatest city on earth for a reason! And, as Philco well said, there is also a reason why houses are cheap in Tulsa. (Almost) nothing to do! (in my opinion).
You'll have a ton of money, but will you have enough to do and be entertained? Hope you find stuff.

Cheers-
Well Manhattan-ite,
I guess some people look outside themselves to find entertainment, and others can make their own. Since you asked, here's the SHORT list of what I intend to do in Tulsa:
Find a great lot, a good architect, and build our new home, decorate it, sew something new and wonderful, meet new people, have them over for dinner, try preparing a few new gourmet meals, sew, spend time with family, take my grandaughter everywhere, sew, try new restaurants, go to the museum, the zoo, sew, plant a garden in the spring, sew, get a dog, sew, volunteer at the local no-kill cat shelter, sew, learn to crochet, learn to golf, sew, finally learn how to do more than e-mail on my computer, sew, jump in my car and go see another state, sew, and maybe finally read a little Shakespeare, Twain, and all the "good" books I've never had time to read before. If I have any extra time I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Last edited by Mauigranma; 01-13-2007 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: corrected spelling

Old 01-16-2007, 04:14 PM

59 posts, read 302,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJo View Post
Its very enlightening to read all of your comments about Oklahoma life.

Ya'll seem to have a big need to be entertained at all times. Reminds me of when my boys were teens and whined that they were bored. Those darlins just needed jobs. But I digress.............

Don't any of you have friends and/or family? Ever just have each family bring a dish and take turns at different homes for food and poker or other games? We do that almost weekly.

Do you ever support the school kids by attending to sporting events? When Tulsa Union plays ball, thats where you'll see half of Tulsa.

I love people and I love to travel but I don't neccesarily have a need to be with big groups of strangers very often. That seems to be the difference is between Big City Yankees and Okies.

Mamma jo, unfortunately all my family live on the east coast and they don't travel so I will be all alone in Tulsa hence my desire to get out and meet people. I have not lived in the same place all my life so I have had to adapt and try and meet new people every time I move. I don't go to church and I am not religious so that's why I was asking about activities and things to do.

Also, I don't have children so I am not involved in sporting events etc. This should also explain my desire to be with "strangers." My husband works out of town so 99% of my time I will be living alone in a strange city. I hope you understand why I want to learn as much as I can about it and why I am asking about restaurants and museums and such. I also hope to find a job, but since I hear the economy in Tulsa is not doing real well, I am scared that I won't be able to find anything that pays over $10/hour. I have a college degree and many years of experience.

If your response is typical of most of the local people then I don't expect to meet anyone if all of you are inside playing cards and being with your families.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:34 AM

8 posts, read 47,456 times
I appologise for my rudeness Sally Belle. I was stupidly offended by earlier comments that insinuated that Okies are dumb and backward and too unsophisticated for a New Yorker to socialize with.

I grew up moving at least every 2 years all over the country until I was 20 and settled in Oklahoma. I do know how you feel. But if you give us a chance I think you are going to feel welcomed in Oklahoma.

My best advice to you is to look for opportunities to serve rather than to be served. Join a civic/service club. Look for ways to make the community better. You won't have any problem making friends.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:41 PM

184 posts, read 1,152,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallybell View Post
I will be all alone in Tulsa hence my desire to get out and meet people. I have not lived in the same place all my life so I have had to adapt and try and meet new people every time I move. I don't go to church and I am not religious so that's why I was asking about activities and things to do.

Also, I don't have children so I am not involved in sporting events etc. This should also explain my desire to be with "strangers." My husband works out of town so 99% of my time I will be living alone in a strange city. I hope you understand why I want to learn as much as I can about it and why I am asking about restaurants and museums and such. I also hope to find a job, but since I hear the economy in Tulsa is not doing real well, I am scared that I won't be able to find anything that pays over $10/hour. I have a college degree and many years of experience.
I, too don't have children but I discovered something so simple that was right in my face. I started walking at the mall. It opens around 6 so I could go there before work. I'd speak or smile as I went around and pretty soon I had this incredible group of friends. I'm actually an introvert. Several are business owners, some have retired from high level positions, there are stay at home moms....some work part-time ....others do strictly volunteer work...we have realtors....doctors...accountants...engineers....p ublic relations... There are older people who don't walk...they just go to socialize and that is fine.

What is your degree in? I will be glad to keep my ears open.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 8,172 times
Aloha to you all and all your wonderful insights about Tulsa. I'm writing to you from Busan, South Korea (not by choice). Oh yeah, my husband is considering to move the family to Tulsa for his career advancement opportunity. We're from island of Oahu. We moved out the island one year ago after 15 years of luau for an assignment in S. Korea. I'm interested to learn all about Tulsa; and, you guys are awesome for sharing thoughts. Here come my few questions:
1. How is the IT career market in Tulsa? I have MSIS and BSCS and int'l business experience. Where is a good source of job hunting in addition to people networking since we are newcomers?
2. Anyone has recommendation for a strong education orientated kindergarten for my daughter in Tulsa?
3. Any place for good Vietnamese "pho", seafood restaurants; and, where to get fresh herbs and spice like Thai basil, galanga, lemon grass and kaiffer lime leaves? TulsaLawyr, we'll definitely try your recommendation restaurants.

Thank you for your time and help.

Thank you for your time and help.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:46 PM

15 posts, read 66,050 times
I have been enjoying reading this thread and I hope you don't mind me chiming in. We just got back from visiting the Tulsa area to see if it was a place we would like to relocate to and we loved it. We walked through the neighboorhoods around Woodward park and Utica square and the lake with the swans and passed tons of people walking their dogs and kids playing in yards and people playing ball in the park. We sat outside the Starbucks at Utica square and people watched and saw everything from students to doctors on break from the hospital to business people. Everyone was extremely nice. The weather and sun were beautiful. It was extremely easy to find our way around.
To put it in perspective we are coming from New England. It is too cold to go outside here aobut 6 months out of the year so you NEVER see people, except the ones in cars next to you as you are stuck in traffic. We thought there was so much more going on in Tulsa than similar sized cities around here. As for entertainment-it seemed like there were things to do. I am not sure what people are looking for. Why do we need to be entertained all of the time?
We loved Tulsa and can't wait to get our house sold here and move out there. We are not religious but did not feel threatened by the religion at all. People were just really nice. Hopefully we are not looking through rose colored glasses.
By the way, we also checked out Nashville, TN on the same trip and even though there was lots to do the city was confusing, crowded, dirty, crime ridden, and expensive. No comparison in our minds.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:23 PM

687 posts, read 2,205,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
I have been enjoying reading this thread and I hope you don't mind me chiming in. We just got back from visiting the Tulsa area to see if it was a place we would like to relocate to and we loved it. We walked through the neighboorhoods around Woodward park and Utica square and the lake with the swans and passed tons of people walking their dogs and kids playing in yards and people playing ball in the park. We sat outside the Starbucks at Utica square and people watched and saw everything from students to doctors on break from the hospital to business people. Everyone was extremely nice. The weather and sun were beautiful. It was extremely easy to find our way around.
To put it in perspective we are coming from New England. It is too cold to go outside here aobut 6 months out of the year so you NEVER see people, except the ones in cars next to you as you are stuck in traffic. We thought there was so much more going on in Tulsa than similar sized cities around here. As for entertainment-it seemed like there were things to do. I am not sure what people are looking for. Why do we need to be entertained all of the time?
We loved Tulsa and can't wait to get our house sold here and move out there. We are not religious but did not feel threatened by the religion at all. People were just really nice. Hopefully we are not looking through rose colored glasses.
By the way, we also checked out Nashville, TN on the same trip and even though there was lots to do the city was confusing, crowded, dirty, crime ridden, and expensive. No comparison in our minds.

I always find it amazing that people from different walks of life tend to gravitate to this city once they've visited.

A case in point for this city. We have a minor league hockey team (CHL) with no upper-league affiliations. While some people would call it backwoods, the big hockey fans here don't. Tulsa's hockey roots began in the early twenties and continue to this day. We have some players that come in on an almost revolving-door basis, but we still have probably twenty players from the last 10 years still living in Tulsa when they could have moved back to the Northeast or Canada where most of them were from. Why? Every former player I've talked to said 'the people are among the nicest I've ever met, anywhere'. Hell, the NHL's old Iron Man, Garry Unger, has a home here from his days coaching the Tulsa team. His daughters went to Jenks schools.

The ones that deride Tulsa tend to be the ones with ADHD; they can't keep themselves focused on one thing for more than a minute.

And to those of you saying our downtown stinks, that's partially true, but check out the Blue Dome district on the weekends. Wait until our DT revitalization hits its stride once we have the centerpiece in place (the new Arena scheduled to open next year).

Most of the places the people here have mentioned (Brookside, Utica Square, etc) are awesome places to be. But you have to explore in order to find your niche.

Call me biased. I lived here all my life, save for the three I lived in Texas. Ask me why I returned, and I'll give you the same answer the former hockey players did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa