U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 03:43 PM

77 posts, read 393,688 times
Sorry dude - saw the blue dome and ate it along with the other pretend sites for entertainment in downtown tulsa. Tulsa is very conservative- the old folks had to(a lot of them) vote twice on a PENNY tax proposal to keep up with the times-it finally passed. Oral Roberts? if you are not familiar-then do some reading on his history and tulsa combined- they are literally combined- from the exageratted white and gold buildings trying to touch the sky-to oral robert universities praying hands-yes you will be changed- OKC is way liberal compared to tulsa-anyone with half a brain could tell you this-unless its a tulsan.

OKC-try Mesta park, Heritage Hills, crown Heights, edgmere park, nichols hills and others. these neighborhoods have historic gorgeous homes and mansions. My family lives in Nichols Hills-its a tiny enclave for the wealthy with huge parks and trails, major upscale shopping, tons of culture, finest malls/new apple store at Penn Square(dont listen to 'them' tulsans they are behind in the curve).They are still holding on to utica square!

Old 03-21-2007, 06:47 PM

442 posts, read 1,433,487 times
I went to ORU and loved it. I am neither liberal nor conservative. I call myself a moderate. I enjoy people of all opinions, because strawberry ice cream all day long would be boring. Washington, DC is my favorite city. I also like Boston and Dallas. Lived in Dallas for a year and had a great time. OKC is super nice, but I agree that it is the "liberal" city while Tulsa is the "conservative" city. Both places are nice, just depends on what you are looking for.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:05 PM

9 posts, read 24,697 times
Here in Sand Springs, I don't consider it liberal. If I did, I couldn't live here. It's a smaller town and no political correctness, especially in my daughters school which is west Sand Springs (thank goodness).

I did watch a show one night on the Churches in Tulsa and there is a lot of history here. I do have to say though that if you try to change the religious aspect like some people do in other cities, I don't think they would take it too lightly.

I wish you luck and I hope you like it in Green Country.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad8974 View Post
(dont listen to 'them' tulsans they are behind in the curve).They are still holding on to utica square!
Excuse me, sir or ma'am, I take great offense to the grievous libel that Tulsans are "behind in the curve." We are well educated citizens, just as are people from Oklahoma City. There are exceptions, in all cases, including New York and Oklahoma City. Tulsa boasts no fewer than six accredited institutions of higher learning. In my myriad trips to Oklahoma City, I've found it to be a dirty city that is nearly impossible to navigate. Tulsa was designed to be a near perfect grid, with the exception of some areas of downtown. Any out-of-towner would find it a breeze to find any destination, especially in the midtown area, and further south and east.

Since Tulsans are backward I suppose the fact that QuikTrip was founded and is currently headquartered here, and is, according to Forbes magazine, the thirty-second largest privately owned company in the USA, is a moot point. Also minimized then, is the importance of the ONEOK company, a Fortune 500 company founded, in Tulsa, in 1906, that provides most of the natural gas to Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas.

I think also many who consider themselves fine shoppers totally agree with you that Utica Square, with such shabby stores as Saks Fifth Avenue and terrible restaurants as P.F. Chang's China Bistro, is to be mocked.

While glancing through the posts earlier, I read the number of posts each contributor has submitted. It appears to this contributor that most of the participants demeaning Tulsa for having little in the way of entertainment spend most of their time on the computer anyway, and those in defense of my great town, have better things to do than be online in forums all day.

Personally, I am nearly finished with a finance degree, and I do enjoy the finer things in life, but I am also proud of my southern heritage, enjoy speaking the slang, and participating in all the activities this smaller city has to offer.

There. I feel much better now.

Last edited by Yac; 05-02-2007 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: offensive statement

Old 04-30-2007, 02:00 PM

634 posts, read 1,688,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peladac View Post
Here in Sand Springs, I don't consider it liberal. If I did, I couldn't live here. It's a smaller town and no political correctness, especially in my daughters school which is west Sand Springs (thank goodness).

I did watch a show one night on the Churches in Tulsa and there is a lot of history here. I do have to say though that if you try to change the religious aspect like some people do in other cities, I don't think they would take it too lightly.

I wish you luck and I hope you like it in Green Country.
Nice to see someone else from Sand Springs. I grew up in Prattville and attended CPHS (graduated in 85). Great area. I love and miss Sand Springs

Old 04-30-2007, 02:13 PM

1,591 posts, read 4,521,743 times
WOW- someone took major offense to someone else- i dont know- but tulsa is a nice place to live. I would also have to say with a firm reply that tulsa IS falling behind. I have also read previous posts about tulsa-by tulsans- that have complained about the growth which i geuss would justify that persons statement. Pfchangs?- I wouldnt touch that place. We have a cheesecake factory/pfchang and i wouldnt come close to those either. Cheesecake thing is by far a greater attraction...For me its the mac store/NBA- did tulsa get that first?....Mr. Ooleys sounds like where you should shop mr. elite- YOU WILL NOT FIND THAT IN TULSA/thats better than saks- seriously(lol). You also should check out B.C.Clark- both of these are OKLAHOMAS FINEST LOCAL SHOPS. I also didnt know okc was snobby- thats changed.
BUT you might retract the grid design- nothing is perfect. Okc has one also....its just way bigger-400 sq. miles BIGGER. But like everyone says..bigger isnt better? - ya right. I hope you feel better now.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:08 PM

3,490 posts, read 227,252 times
Default Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCarr View Post
Excuse me, sir or ma'am, I take great offense to the grievous libel that Tulsans are "behind in the curve." We are well educated citizens, just as are people from Oklahoma City. There are exceptions, in all cases, including New York and Oklahoma City. Tulsa boasts no fewer than six accredited institutions of higher learning. In my myriad trips to Oklahoma City, I've found it to be a dirty city that is nearly impossible to navigate. Tulsa was designed to be a near perfect grid, with the exception of some areas of downtown. Any out-of-towner would find it a breeze to find any destination, especially in the midtown area, and further south and east.

Since Tulsans are backward I suppose the fact that QuikTrip was founded and is currently headquartered here, and is, according to Forbes magazine, the thirty-second largest privately owned company in the USA, is a moot point. Also minimized then, is the importance of the ONEOK company, a Fortune 500 company founded, in Tulsa, in 1906, that provides most of the natural gas to Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas.

I think also many who consider themselves fine shoppers totally agree with you that Utica Square, with such shabby stores as Saks Fifth Avenue and terrible restaurants as P.F. Chang's China Bistro, is to be mocked.

While glancing through the posts earlier, I read the number of posts each contributor has submitted. It appears to this contributor that most of the participants demeaning Tulsa for having little in the way of entertainment spend most of their time on the computer anyway, and those in defense of my great town, have better things to do than be online in forums all day.

Personally, I am nearly finished with a finance degree, and I do enjoy the finer things in life, but I am also proud of my southern heritage, enjoy speaking the slang, and participating in all the activities this smaller city has to offer. Wanna see? Why don't ya'll pull yer snobby lil' heads out yer butts, 'fore ya fart and kill yerself?

There. I feel much better now.
You are hysterical! I don't live in Tulsa anymore, but did live there from 1993-1999. Have lived in Cali most of my life, also lived in TX for a few years as a kid, and just moved to Michigan last year.
I absolutely loved Tulsa! Who are all these haters? Yes, I have to say after a few years I was pretty bored with the area, and I hated the cruelly hot summers. But that aside, Tulsa is a beautiful town that is just big enough to have what you would need and want in a metro area, but isn't TOO big where you have tons of smog, traffic and crime. Those things do exist, but not comparatively to other places I have and do live!
Tulsa has a laid back vibe, a beautiful riverfront, a georgeous downtown, a vibrant mid-town area with tons of great parks, neighborhoods and nightlife. I still have lots of friends and family there and they are always telling me about all the new improvements that have happened since I moved, and it was pretty good then!
Here's a good antidote to show how even people from more urban parts of the country can be incredibly ignorant when it comes to the midwest or the south...
When I first moved there in 1993 I was talking to a friend back in Cali. I mentioned that I had watched a show on HBO. My friend literally was shocked to find out we had cable! Seriously! I informed him that yes, we have cable, and indoor plumbing, and paved roads....jeez.
They don't put Saks Fifth Avenue in the middle of the sticks, people.
And by the way, you are right on when it comes to OKC vs. Tulsa. I rarely went to OKC when I lived there, and when I did it seemed much less cosmopolitan than Tulsa. We referred to it as a "big cow town".
And yes, Tulsa is one of the easiest towns to navigate, having been to many cities across America!

Old 05-05-2007, 07:57 AM

9 posts, read 24,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawksweetie View Post
Nice to see someone else from Sand Springs. I grew up in Prattville and attended CPHS (graduated in 85). Great area. I love and miss Sand Springs

Sand Springs is nice, if someone likes a small town and yes, I love that. We live on the hill with an AWESOME view of Tulsa. How long have you been away?

To those bashing Tulsa, I do have to say that I have lived many places and they all had their pros and cons. I find the people of Tulsa and Sand Springs extremely friendly, unlike a lot of towns or cities. You can hold a small nice conversation with a stranger. Now, I would rather that than someone snub their nose at me. I always will believe it is how one acts toward others is how you get treated back. Of course you have some that you wish you hadn't met, but I have felt that way more from other places than Tulsa.

Regarding it "slow" or "behind"... Tulsa is NOT Oklahoma City, Dallas, Las Vegas or other big cities and thank goodness for that. If they were, we would not have moved here.

We moved from Houston and wanted to get AWAY from that big city, large amount of people. If someone wants more action, then go to a bigger city, stop trying to change what I moved to and love. I have felt so lost in other places and I finally feel like I am home. Love it or leave it, but leave it alone. Sure, it could use some upgrades, especially our pathetic roads, but don't try to change it to a large action city. Move if that is what you want.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:28 AM

17 posts, read 37,443 times
Unhappy Wow

This is an interesting thread. I would like to give my impressions of Tulsa having lived here just under two years.

A little background - I have lived in many places in the US, recently moved from Portland, ME to Tulsa - married, no kids, atheist (both of us) - living in mid-town (thank goodness!!)

So, initial impressions - Tulsa is literally strip-mall hell. There are more strip malls here than anywhere else I have ever seen. It's truly amazing.

- Tulsa is also chain-restaurant hell - more of the same.

- Aside from what some people think - we have NEVER been asked what church we go to by people we meet - although as we get to know more people, the subject of religion does come up.

- We are child-free by choice - we have actually met more child-free couples here than anywhere else we have lived.

- The Tulsa nightlife SUCKS - it is 100% meat-market bars - it's sad and pathetic. There is VERY little to do for mature adults (we are both in our 30's) - it is truly a sad state of affairs.

- Restaurants - well, there are some good ones - thankfully - for sushi - the best is Fuji on Peoria - great place - nice people and decent sushi....There are also some great Italian and other individual restaurants - also - if you want a decent pizza - we FINALLY got a good place - B-52 pizza

- Pretty? Not really - Woodward park is the ONLY decent park in town - the riverside is sad because usually the river is just a mud-bed - Riverwalk crossing in Jenks is nice - but it's in Jenks! DO NOT live south - getting to and from the south areas is nigh on impossible during the short rush-hour times - sure you can get a brand new, modern house - but why do you want to live down there - very sad - no culture at all

- sure there are two nice museums - but really, once you have been there - what's to do?

- Utica Square - sure it's nice - if you want to go shopping - I guess - we rarely go below 41st St - nothing for us down there unless we are forced to go to the big mall area for something we need.

- Portland Maine - with all of it's 60,000 people has, on a given night, FAR more things to do and keep your interest than this city of nearly 400,000 - that says more to me than anything else about this place.

- People - truly the nicest people I have ever met - we have met more truly nice people here than anywhere else in the US - Southern Hospitality actually exists here - and I have lived in Florida, LA, MS, and TX. The nicest folks I have yet found.

- Sure, there are some nice art-deco buildings - but you know what, this city's leadership is so dysfunctional that they actually tore down a bunch of the art-deco buildings in the 70's and made PARKING LOTS! and it has not changed since then - they cannot seem to get their heads out of their......

So, we make our own fun - we have founded a club - we meet up with friends - we try our best to enjoy the short time we have left - we are very anxious to leave - and we are leaving - in less than three months.

Trust me - I will NEVER come back - just not for us -

I have been 100% honest with this assessment - there are positives - and negatives - just like anywhere - it's not for us - it is for some people - it all depends on who you are and what you want.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:26 PM

17 posts, read 37,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
No, the leadership of Tulsa has done plenty of bad things wrong (and still do) and I've pointed that out on plenty of occasions; on this forum and plenty of others. [b]And here is where you had to start it all up again, didn't ya? So, the only thing jrdig saying that was wrong about Tulsa was about the destruction of downtown (which happens to be one of the only things that's true)?
Interesting - the people who told us about this are people who have lived here their entire lives - saw it themselves and told us what a shame it was........

Quote:
Originally Posted by synopsis
For one, if mr digs can find more things to do in Portland, Maine than in Tulsa that's about as much of a falsehood as the rest of the crap that mr. digs dredged up. And if you believe him then I really have to reconsider even responding to any of your posts - a city of 60K in the middle of nowhere is NOT going to have more to do than a city of almost 400K; unless you like to make out with crabs and drink saltwater.
A couple of items here:

1. Who is mr digs?

2. Have you ever been to Portland, ME? I lived there for three years - a fantastic little city - the largest in the state - no it's not a megalopolis, but there is, in fact far more to that place than there is here. The middle of nowhere?! Since when is 2 hours north of Boston the middle of nowhere? With Direct train and bus access to the entire eastern seaboard. Also Portland is a cruise ship destination with 2 of the top ten restaurants in the COUNTRY! (in that little berg of 60k people) How about the middle of the prairie being the middle of nowhere?

Quote:
The inconsistencies in mr. digs response were obvious "the nicest people anywhere," but apparently those "nice people" of Tulsa have just turned the place into a haven for strip malls and chain restaurants. mr. digs states that there are positives and negatives about Tulsa, but where were the positives other than the "nice people" remark? Oh yeah, the token "they have nice museums, but who really cares after one visit?" or "Utica Square, but ..." same ol' same old garbage from people that just don't like it anywhere and want to come on to a forum to rile up the natives.

Do you or your good buddy mr. digs think that one can't tell the obvious intent of that post? Apparently mr. digs can't count very well or doesn't know how to give a balanced opinion.
As I stated that was my own opinion based upon my own experience - never claimed it was balanced.........Oh, and by the way, you forgot to mention that we do like some of the restaurants and areas of the city (I am sure I mentioned that as well - you seem to be very selective in your response) Also, we started a social club and I also seem to have mentioned making our own fun with our friends - also conveniently 'forgotten' by Synopsis.....

Quote:
And mr. digs, have fun in San Diego, I'm sure with the attitude you have; having been everywhere but staying nowhere for very long, you'll like it there just about as much as you did in Tulsa, Florida, Texas, and the other places you can't seem to set down any roots.
Roots, well I guess I am just a shiftless loser, never staying anywhere more than three years or so......Something about serving your country does that, they actually order you and your family to move.....it's actually kind of tough on the family - having to pull up stakes (I won't use roots as apparently I have none) every two or three years - right when you get to know the people and the way of things, I suppose it's the sort of thing you have to do when you choose that career.......

By the way, never said I didn't like Maine, or any of the other areas, don't like Tulsa much, because, as I said, there is not much for two adults who don't want to spend all their time drinking in bars to do around here on a regular basis - sorry to offend, just trying to be honest - I think I said that as well........

Oh yes, again, who is mr. digs?

Quote:
Wanna talk about strip malls mr. digs? There's millions of 'em in OkC. Want to talk about sprawl? OkC is SPRAWLING more than just about any other city in the U.S. They even lay claim to the fact that it's one of the largest geographical cities in the United States. Not something I'd be so proud of with a population of just over 500K.
I really am not sure what the point of that tirade was. I never even mentioned OKC......

Quote:
And another thing; Portland, Maine! Are you kidding me? Tulsa, one of the most liveable cities in the United States of America is getting criticized by someone from PORTLAND, MAINE? Nice place (somewhat), and some of the NICEST PEOPLE you could ever meet, seriously... Ya, right.
You're going to lose this one....

Portland, ME

- Ranked #12 in the WORLD by Frommers (you know the travel people) for top travel destinations (2007).

- Ranked #20 in INC magazine (2006) on the boomtown list for hottest cities for entrpreneurs.

- Ranked #7 on the 2005 list of the 100 best art towns in America (Countryman press)

- Named #15 in medium-sized top US cities for doing business. (INC incorporated)

- Out of 25,000 cities examined - ranked #32 for doing business in the US. (same source).

- Recently voted the fourth most liveable city in the U.S. by Fine Living Magazine, clean air, a low crime rate, and solid schools have also gained Portland recognition as the number one city in America in which to raise children by The Children's Rights Council.

- #1 market in small business vitality - suggests Portland to be the strongest small-business sector of ANY large metro area in the US - ranked as the hottest small business market in which to develop a company. (american city business journals - Jan '05)

- Ranked #2 in SELF Magazine's 2006 healthiest cities for women.

- Portland Maine - ranked one of the ten great adventure towns by National Geographic Adventure Magazine.

- Named Bike-town USA by Bike-town magazine.

- #6 of 10 culturally most fascinating US cities from Travel Smart consumer newsletter.

- Maine is the 2nd safest and 4th healthiest state in the US.

There is much more - but I think I've made my point.........

Quote:
OkC (and Portland, Maine) - there are positives - and negatives - just like anywhere - they're just not for us - it is for some people - it all depends on who you are and what you want.

Have a Funtastic Evening. Sorry to "go off" on your cities (well one city and one podunky little town), but tit for tat you know.
I guess I am just all screwed up - my last "podunky little town" was the first stop on the Queen Mary II's US tour a couple of years ago - but hey, it's just a podunky little town, right?

Again, never meant this to go this route - I was just giving my honest opinion but I suppose even stating that makes you uncomfortable.....

Last edited by jridg; 05-06-2007 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa