Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 11:11 PM

2 posts, read 13,693 times

Advertisements

My husband just landed a job in Tulsa (his home town) and we will be relocating there soon. As a life long Californian I am quite freaked out with the idea of moving to this part of the country—particularly in this political climate. We are not religious and do not support the current political agenda. Will we find like minded people in Tulsa? Am I freaking out for no reason? (of course there are good people everywhere). But moving to Trump USA now? Where will I find a new community?? I am a hippy girl from Northern California who enjoys mountain biking, yoga, hiking and dancing to good music!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 07:33 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
You will find many like-minded people

Old 02-19-2017, 09:29 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim EE View Post
My husband just landed a job in Tulsa (his home town) and we will be relocating there soon. As a life long Californian I am quite freaked out with the idea of moving to this part of the country—particularly in this political climate. We are not religious and do not support the current political agenda. Will we find like minded people in Tulsa? Am I freaking out for no reason? (of course there are good people everywhere). But moving to Trump USA now? Where will I find a new community?? I am a hippy girl from Northern California who enjoys mountain biking, yoga, hiking and dancing to good music!
It's my observation that in this state you just need to think in terms of say being like a Mormon who moves from Utah to Oklahoma. You are not going to be the dominant culture but it's not like you can't find a Mormon church.

People like yourself are pretty limited in Oklahoma but it's not like they aren't here. Tulsa will be no problem finding like minded people.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:47 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Earlier this year, I heard a couple of friends debate which is more liberal Tulsa or Oklahoma City. What I mainly got out of it is that Tulsa has better hippy places and neighborhoods to hang out in but votes more conservative than Oklahoma City.

If you're fortunate enough to have a Democrat state legislator, like I do, who isn't too cowardly to speak out against and not vote in favor of Republican bills he sees as bad, it helps me to cope with living in a far right conservative Oklahoma.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 02-19-2017 at 11:56 AM..

Old 02-20-2017, 09:28 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,203 times
Midtown Tulsa, which is basically all of central Tulsa is pretty liberal. For example, Tulsa has the largest Unitarian Church in the world. Most of south Tulsa and all the suburbs are bright red. Overall you will find that Tulsa is more Libertarian than traditional conservative. Tulsa has a large gay population that has no issues. We have a large immigrant hispanic community. The Tulsa area is rather liberal on social issues and the city works hard on race issues.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:05 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
I am told that Tulsa is very conservative. I have a lot in common with you, hippie, Northern CA, There were two things I did after moving to Tahlequah. Unitarian Church, which Tulsa has a great one with three different services I understand. And then I joined a book group at the library. or join a democratic women's group. if you don't like groups, make friends and then leave.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 13,693 times
Thank you all! Pretty much what I thought. Although I would be in the minority in my views, like-minded people are everywhere or as the GD counter culture said (and continues to say) "we are everywhere."

Old 02-20-2017, 10:02 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Thank you all! Pretty much what I thought. Although I would be in the minority in my views, like-minded people are everywhere or as the GD counter culture said (and continues to say) "we are everywhere."
Hopefully by moving to Oklahoma you'll find out how messed up your liberal values really are. You should feel blessed to be moving to an ultra-conservative town like Tulsa. It is the home of Oral Roberts University and there are tons of good wholesome Christian radio stations to listen too. Good luck and be blessed!

Old 02-21-2017, 07:56 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,033 times
Why do you even care. Just vote the way you want. I've lived in liberal States and Conservative State. California, Ill, Utah, Kentucky and now OK. I have friends and church friends of both parties. I may be conservative in my voting but I am not nuts about it and certainly when Obama won I didn't have hissie fits. There are so many neat lakes, rivers, hiking and even museums here in OK. Just enjoy the area.

Wouldn't it be nice to take a year or two off of politics. I'd love to see it.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:04 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Tulsa is the most liberal part of Oklahoma so you should be able to find like-minded people. However, the overwhelming culture of the state is very conservative and very fundamentalist (particularly Baptist). If you live in central Tulsa, which is a more liberal area, you will be insulated from some of it but it will in no way be California or even another, more liberal red state.

The state government is virulently anti-LGBT and marijuana probably won't be legal here for another 30 years or more. In fact, Oklahoma hasn't fully moved past alcohol prohibition yet (want a beer after 9PM? You'll have to settle for watered down 3.2 beer because apparently that's all Jesus approved of). Atheists can get by here but be prepared to have religion shoved in your face constantly as it's an all-encompassing part of the culture and politics here, though Tulsa isn't quite as bad about this as OKC.

In a nutshell is yes, you should be able to get by here and meet like-minded individuals. If that is good enough for you and you don't mind living in an ultra-right wing culture, then Oklahoma might work for you. If you need to be in a "liberal" or even "moderate" overall culture I would look anywhere else. Tulsa is a nice town but unfortunately it is in a state that wants to be a Christian version of Iran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Earlier this year, I heard a couple of friends debate which is more liberal Tulsa or Oklahoma City. What I mainly got out of it is that Tulsa has better hippy places and neighborhoods to hang out in but votes more conservative than Oklahoma City.
Regardless of voting patterns, Oklahoma City is a good deal more evangelical/fundamentalist than Tulsa and it shows in the overall culture. Even if it isn't, Tulsa "feels" more liberal for this reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa