Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 8,864 times

Advertisements

There is a rather ugly ATT building downtown. It's rather brown or bashe with no windows. For many years I've wondered what that building is for at ATT. Does anybody know?

I tried to figure it out a year ago but could never determine what they did in it. Kind of drove me crazy because I used to work down town and I would see that building every day. They no windows think bugs me too.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 12:34 PM

793 posts, read 1,110,908 times
I'm not completely sure, but I think it's a telecommunications hub housing equipment and such. Many cities have such a building.

Other examples:
OKC:

Fort Worth:

Kansas City, MO:

Denver:

Old 06-03-2017, 08:36 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Neither does the A T & T in Stillwater have anything that looks like regular windows.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:42 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,335 times
Probably a long distance/toll center, this is where the area's "tandem" switches that connect your local phone exchanges into ATT's long-distance network are (probably also has the gateway hubs to the ISP for DSL service). There's one like that in Portland downdown. In the old days these used to be full of noisy step by step or crossbar machines (lots and lots of clicking relays!!! they'd sound like a thousand electric typewriters or machine guns all going off at once, constantly) but now they're all big Nortel DMX 250 or 500 computers. Depending on the arrangement they could also have a end office providing local phone service & centrex to the area surrrounding it in that same building as well. Long distance and 555-1212 operators used to work in these places before that all got centralized into just a couple locations to service the whole country.

your phone line -> your CO/local exchange -> local access tandem @ your CO -> trunk line -> toll switch -> another trunk -> greater PSTN
(that's kind of oversimplified but that's the basic idea)

Last edited by Ttark; 06-03-2017 at 11:54 PM..

Old 06-22-2017, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 8,864 times
Thanks for all the posts. A lot more information then I had before. It does bear a striking resemblance to the OK City pics.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:30 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,203 times
There's a huge one at the end of the Brooklyn Bridge in NY as well. Every city has them. Some are labeled AT&T and some are Verizon. They are all old Ma Bell artifacts.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,132 times
This building in Tulsa does mostly sales and call center work. There might be a Central Office (CO) inside but it is not a major telecom hub within the city. I work in telecommunications and i can tell you i have never installed any services to that location. Its really just an eyesore.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:35 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
There's a huge one at the end of the Brooklyn Bridge in NY as well. Every city has them. Some are labeled AT&T and some are Verizon. They are all old Ma Bell artifacts.
Manhattan AT&T building :

http://i.imgur.com/GdEcsiV.jpg

Ma Bell constructed these buildings without windows to protect them from weather elements (hurricanes / tornadoes, etc.) and the one in NYC is said to be built like a bunker in the case of a nuclear war so that they would keep functioning.
Scary thought! ( hence why they are so ugly ! They were built for functionality not beauty. )

Last edited by Bobdreamz; 09-08-2017 at 11:48 AM..

Old 09-15-2019, 05:18 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,335 times
Revisiting this thread for a moment.

See that vacant antenna tower in the upper left corner of the Denver picture that looks like a scaffolding to nowhere? It (likely) held an array of the big boxy AT&T/Western Electric model KS15676 "hog ear" C-band horn antennas, back when terestrial microwave L-carrier was still a thing. That office was probably a toll center with a microwave station or group of stations. Long Lines phased out by the mid-80s and declared the system completely obsolete by the early 90s when fiber optic T-carrier became cheap and plentiful enough for long-haul usage. At minimum there were four horns to an array, two pairs for transmit and receive facing opposite directions on the tower since it's a bidirectional system. The transceivers were connected to (typically) a #1/4/5 crossbar or a #4 ESS that did the call switching and routing, i.e. to offload it to the local network or another wire or radio trunk to the next toll center in the chain.

There were satellite trunks in the long distance network but that was really just a stopgap while the phone company figured out what to do about its aging terrestrial microwave trunks before the widespread uptake of fiber, as well as staying relevant and competitive against the rapidly improving quality of competing long distance carriers like MCI and US Sprint.

The towers and their supporting buildings were designed and built to (literally) withstand nuclear war, thus a lot of them are still standing and have been repurposed for e.g. cell phone services, FM/TV stations, local 2-way radio comms and microwave data relays/repeater backhauls. Most of the few intact vintage AT&T horns, if they haven't been refurbished and preserved by collectors, have long fallen into disuse and decrepitude.

More reading/pictures:
[url]http://long-lines.net/[/url]
[url]https://hackaday.com/2017/07/10/horns-across-america-the-att-long-lines-network/[/url]
[url]https://99percentinvisible.org/article/vintage-skynet-atts-abandoned-long-lines-microwave-tower-network/[/url]
[url]http://spencerjharding.com/books/the-long-lines/[/url]
[url]http://kd5knz.blogspot.com/2004/04/at-long-lines-microwave-horn-removal.html[/url]
[url]http://coldwar-ma.com/ATT_Chesterfield.html[/url]

Last edited by Ttark; 09-15-2019 at 05:47 PM..

Old 09-29-2019, 08:08 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
https://theintercept.com/2018/06/25/...-nsa-spy-hubs/

Take a look at this link about what these buildings were used for in a few major cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa