Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 08:43 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times

Advertisements

My visit was this weekend--I spent Saturday morning running from downtown through Midtown and back to my hotel and it was really charming. We are going to think hard about aggressively pursuing job opportunities there. Tulsa felt like home--I'd happily move back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 05:29 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
If you were to move to Tulsa where would you buy? I keep hearing some reports that crime invested areas are trending to grow but as a former resident would be interested in your view from being away a while?

Old 10-29-2017, 08:55 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
If you were to move to Tulsa where would you buy? I keep hearing some reports that crime invested areas are trending to grow but as a former resident would be interested in your view from being away a while?
I was there for a wedding and spent most of my time downtown, so I cant really speak for the suburban areas so much :/ I really loved the Midtown area and that would be my first choice. I think we would be VERY happy there.

However, even though it is comparable pricewise to where we live now, I can see how it would be prudent to check out the suburbs a bit more because you can get so much. Outside of the Midtown area, I don't think I would consider Tulsa Public Schools (and honestly, they gave me pause in any area at the lower grade levels). So probably Jenks or Tulsa/BA feeding to Union ISD. I hate how massive Union secondary schools are, though.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:28 PM

158 posts, read 659,349 times
Grew up in Tulsa many years ago and moved back to be closer to family. Was very disappointed by the overall culture as well as the amount of crime that wasn't there when I was growing up. People are moving away, especially educators. There are a few things I still enjoy about Tulsa, but the cons outweighed the pros for the long term and so after a few years we returned to Texas. Just don't see it ever changing much and potentially getting worse over time because of the poor management of the state as a whole.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
I think most Oklahomans feel their lives are doing just fine. It reflects why it's so hard to balance the budget so it can make help continue for the poor people who can't say the same. Surely, most of the Republican legislators come from fine homes that are well blessed with success and good heath in life. They can relate to what real pain and sickness is. Medicine to treat mental illness can run over $2000 a month. I bet legislators never personally heard of that kind of health care burden.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:00 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I was there for a wedding and spent most of my time downtown, so I cant really speak for the suburban areas so much :/ I really loved the Midtown area and that would be my first choice. I think we would be VERY happy there.

However, even though it is comparable pricewise to where we live now, I can see how it would be prudent to check out the suburbs a bit more because you can get so much. Outside of the Midtown area, I don't think I would consider Tulsa Public Schools (and honestly, they gave me pause in any area at the lower grade levels). So probably Jenks or Tulsa/BA feeding to Union ISD. I hate how massive Union secondary schools are, though.
Midtown is a great area, central to everything with beautiful neighborhoods. Several good TPS elem schools are in Midtown including Eliot, Lee, Mayo and Eisenhower. Edison MS and HS is improving. If you can get in Carver MS and Booker T Washington HS are fantastic but very competitive.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:32 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblu View Post
Just don't see it ever changing much and potentially getting worse over time because of the poor management of the state as a whole.
I disagree about Tulsa not changing, especially downtown where the transformation is amazing over what it was like 15 or even 10 years ago. Midtown and south Tulsa still have some of the most beautiful neighborhoods anywhere and the Gathering Place, one of the largest new urban parks in the country, opens next year along the riverfront which looks better than ever with new trails and parks. Agree on the OK state government though, hopefully with a new crop of leaders they can right the ship. Part of that involves increasing taxes on oil and gas production. Oklahoma has one of the largest O&G reserves and should be a much wealthier state because of it..

Old 12-22-2017, 12:26 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
The Midtown area has some of the best Tulsa PS although, even these schools are having teacher issues. The best one is Lee which serves the Maple Ridge area and immediate Gathering Place neighborhood. Once you get south of 41st, that is Wright Elementary and is not as good. Ranch Acres Elementary has a great mix of kids that are across all three classes (lower, middle, upper). All three of these elementary schools feed Edison Middle School/High School. Edison and Booker T. Washington are the two magnet schools. The nice part about living in Midtown is that Edison has both "magnet" and "community" tracks in the same school and the teachers are shared with both tracks. If you live in Midtown, you will have a very easy time getting into the magnet program there as you'll have neighborhood preference in your favor.

I wish I could recommend Tulsa or any place in Oklahoma right now. We moved to IL of all places to get away from the school issues there. I have had an opportunity to go back to Tulsa and turned it down flat specifically because of the school funding issue. Teachers making 31k at the start and 45k (with a PhD and 25 years) is just stupid!!! Personally, if I were superintendent, I'd kill the athletic programs not because I hate sports, but because its the only way the idiots in OKC will pay attention. During our 5 years there, the entire Edison math department quit and moved out of state. I love, love, love Midtown but I can't subject my kids to substandard education and I can't afford private school.

We pay through the nose in Illinois but at least our kids get the education they need.
I don't mean to be rude to you, but I wouldn't recommend anyone in their right mind move to Illinois. It's a sinking ship, people are fleeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa