Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 12:35 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times

Advertisements

I moved to Tulsa a few months ago and I plan to stay here for a few years(3 or 4).

Given that we are a small household(just two, maybe we'll have a baby in the future), buying a home to avoid paying rent sounds seems to be an option.

However, I am inclined to buy a cheap smaller home because I won't stay here forever. Anywhere in this area will be fine, from Jenks to Broken Arrows to Owasso.

Is it realistic to buy a home for less than 150k? Ideally, it's located in a safe area, and the build quality of the home is decent so I won't have to shell out thousands for maintenance.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 09:01 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I moved to Tulsa a few months ago and I plan to stay here for a few years(3 or 4).

Given that we are a small household(just two, maybe we'll have a baby in the future), buying a home to avoid paying rent sounds seems to be an option.

However, I am inclined to buy a cheap smaller home because I won't stay here forever. Anywhere in this area will be fine, from Jenks to Broken Arrows to Owasso.

Is it realistic to buy a home for less than 150k? Ideally, it's located in a safe area, and the build quality of the home is decent so I won't have to shell out thousands for maintenance.

Thanks!
Possible , but hard to do.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:03 AM

7 posts, read 11,372 times
So you want to buy a cheap home because you won’t be there forever? That just sounds dumb. Maybe just admit you can’t afford more than $150k lol

And nope it’s not dumb to do. Nothing wrong with a fixer upper and walking away with some sweat equity. But be ready to spend your free time playing fixer upper.

Don’t know why Howest says it’s hard to do. No it’s not. It’s OK, some of the cheapest housing in the US. Although it is unlikely you’ll find anything in Jenks. Most likely BA or slightly north and up to Owasso. Owasso has some pretty cheap housing but IMO I don’t get it’s hype and think the reason for cheap housing there is because it’s less desirable as the southern areas.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanity1x View Post
So you want to buy a cheap home because you won’t be there forever? That just sounds dumb. Maybe just admit you can’t afford more than $150k lol

And nope it’s not dumb to do. Nothing wrong with a fixer upper and walking away with some sweat equity. But be ready to spend your free time playing fixer upper.

Don’t know why Howest says it’s hard to do. No it’s not. It’s OK, some of the cheapest housing in the US. Although it is unlikely you’ll find anything in Jenks. Most likely BA or slightly north and up to Owasso. Owasso has some pretty cheap housing but IMO I don’t get it’s hype and think the reason for cheap housing there is because it’s less desirable as the southern areas.
Me and my wife have a friend from California that lives in Tulsa she married to a man from Washington DC both went to Oral Roberts University. During the 20 years after their graduation they both have bought a grand total of about 11 or 12 cheap houses in Tulsa Oklahoma. She is Indian and he is African American , you can buy houses in Norrh Tulsa OK for as low as $20,000 , however the rub is that they are in high crime areaa and need major repairs. If a person want to do major major plumbing and construction work then it's not hard , but if you don't feel like doing that is really really hard work.

I remember one year we were all in Tulsa Oklahoma on a vacation and I actually helped him do some heavy outside the house Plumbing work, like digging trenches and laying pipe now if you know how to do that it's hard but if you don't know how to do it it's really really really hard.. The husband from Washington DC lives a Very interesting lifes in Tulsa Oklahoma I remember him getting speakers and projectors from theaters that were closing down and them showing movies on theirs walls. Tearing walls and floors and ceilings out of other houses but yet still living in them.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:31 AM

210 posts, read 427,938 times
I've lived here the last 10 years and property value has went up quite a bit. I don't think it would be hard at all to find a home for 150K and I even think you could find a builder that could build you one. You would be surprised how much plans can change once you consider starting a family too.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:22 AM

For crying out loud why don't you just Google houses in Tulsa Oklahoma for under $150,000. I did exactly that and found 15 to 20 houses in Tulsa under $150,000 plus many townhouses and condominiums in the 40,000 to 75,000 price range.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,160 times
I live in Colorado and will be moving to Tulsa within next couple of years.
Zillow is my go to website for home search, you can narrow down the search by price, size, etc...
https://www.zillow.com/tulsa-ok/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa