Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 04:57 PM

10 posts, read 10,919 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a transfer from the DC area to Tulsa where I'll be working at the airport. I'm looking for a reasonable combination of low rent, low crime, and decent access to basic shopping and takeout food not too far from work. I'm not fussy so apartments, trailers, mobile homes are all fine. I just need a place to land at night. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 05:54 PM

641 posts, read 1,064,714 times
There are affordable neighborhoods all around the south side of the airport from east to west. Also Owasso is just a few miles to the north on Mingo.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:10 PM

Are you saying the south side of the airport is better than the north? Any specific neighborhoods you could mention? I'm from a northeast urban environment I've never spent any time in the Midwest so I'm trying to get a picture of these areas. Owasso is basically a suburb would you say?

Old 05-02-2018, 07:02 PM

There is not much that is due north, except some on the Northwest side. The north is industrial and some flood plain land. Owasso is just a few miles to the north and it is nice.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:03 PM

27 posts, read 26,776 times
Yeah, if I was working at the airport daily, I would probably live in Owasso. Quick and easy trip and a very safe and affordable town with easy access to all the basic shopping and amenities you might need. Lots of rental options up there as well. Depending on traffic, it would take about 15-20 minutes to get from most places in Owasso to the airport.

East of the airport is mostly rural and industrial.

The area immediately south of the airport is older and kind of run down and maybe not the safest area. Of course, like most bigger cities, there are pockets of good and not-so-good neighborhoods in the older parts of town.

If you're coming from the DC area you'll be pleasantly surprised at how fast you can get around the whole metro area, even with current road construction everywhere. We really don't have any bad traffic to speak of most of the time, compared to most big cities I've been to.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the reply...alot of the best prices I saw for apartments were south of the airport. Is it anything like a northeast inner city? I've never lived downtown anywhere.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:48 PM

Actually lots of Tulsa is less than a 20 minute drive, you have lots of options, too much to even try to name really. The whole of Northeast Tulsa. This is mostly working class neighborhoods, some areas not bad, but some fairly rough.

Owasso is actually only about 10 minutes from the AA maintenance gate if you come down Mingo. I don't know what it is like if there is heavy traffic on that road in the morning.

You also could look further East, Lots out there, too, That's where many Mexican and Asian people have settled, some of it looks pretty decent.

Last edited by teakboat; 05-05-2018 at 05:31 PM..

Old 05-07-2018, 07:58 PM

27 posts, read 26,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyuser19 View Post
Thanks for the reply...alot of the best prices I saw for apartments were south of the airport. Is it anything like a northeast inner city? I've never lived downtown anywhere.
Nah. I drive all over the metro daily for my work, including north Tulsa which people generally think is the worst part of town. Occasionally I'll see gang graffiti, but it really is fairly isolated. There are some neighborhoods where the majority of the houses are boarded up so obviously those aren't good places to live. But like a Northeast inner city? No way. Tulsa is one of the safest "big" cities I've ever lived in or visited.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:33 PM

10,399 posts, read 15,480,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyuser19 View Post
I'm planning a transfer from the DC area to Tulsa where I'll be working at the airport. I'm looking for a reasonable combination of low rent, low crime, and decent access to basic shopping and takeout food not too far from work. I'm not fussy so apartments, trailers, mobile homes are all fine. I just need a place to land at night. Thanks for your help.

The neighborhood near the airport is Mohawk Park. The Mohawk Park area has some pretty nice houses , and some houses can be bought with a song. I believe that I saw some in the $60,000. range.

My brother lives in Owasso but theirs real estate consist of McMansions and are sort of expensive for the Tulsa area.If you decide to buy in the Tulsa city limits make sure that you have metal bars and doors and a alarm system.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:24 AM

Owasso has neighborhoods in the older parts of town that are not mcmansions, and they seem nicer/safer than the North Tulsa neighborhoods on average. No bars on windows or alarms needed.

Last edited by teakboat; 05-08-2018 at 07:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa