U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:30 PM

3 posts, read 5,466 times
Default Will we fit in?

My family is relocating to Tulsa this summer. I grew up in Idaho, my husband grew up in Utah, and we have 2 kids. We have moved a lot because of my husbands job. My kids have mainly lived in Utah and spent 1 year in Des Moines (which we loved) and one year in Kingman, AZ (which we hate). We have never lived in the southern area and I was just wondering if there was any problems with new kids and families that move to Oklahoma. We are planning on moving to broken arrow. My oldest daughter is going to be 12 and in middle school. Anyone know any information on how the kids are in the schools? Are they friendly. We currently live in Kingman, AZ and the kids here are horrible and mean. I know that it comes with the age but it is way worse here than it was back in Utah. Thanks for the advice and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 01:49 PM

16 posts, read 44,597 times
I think it depends on the attitude of the people coming in.... not to say your kids are bringing it on themselves in Kingman, not at all.

But Oklahoma can be 'clique'-ish at times... if anyone who is an 'outsider' comes in and immediately talks about how great it was wherever else they were, they will be treated badly from the start... and it's all about how things start. I remember one guy who moved into our small town of <10k from NYC/NJ area... he acted all hard and kinda like he didn't want to be in "Oklahoma", you know, he was a big-city addict. So he got his rear-end beat down a few times for talking to people the way he was used to talking in the city, and his mom moved him back to NYC because Poteau was "too rough". lol I thought that was funny.

Anyways, if they try hard to assimilate, and genuinely get involved and work to make friends, I think they'll be fine. I have found Oklahoma to be pretty accepting of a lot of things, including my inter-racial marriage and bi-racial child, but I attribute most of it to an ongoing effort at hard work, being genuinely nice and helpful, and not going around with a chip on our shoulders - meaning, if someone gives you a look or says something just outside your hearing, you just ignore it and go on... they're the loser in the scenario. I've been dying to get back to OK for 5+ years, ever since we left.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:01 PM

266 posts, read 660,493 times
You'll be fine.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:59 PM

7 posts, read 9,879 times
Thanks for the advice. I have only heard good things about the people in Oklahoma but I wasn't sure if it was that way if you are not a native. I love to live in new places and I never thought I would imagine living in Oklahoma but I am excited. The area looks great and the schools look good. We love the outdoors and we love green and trails. That has been our biggest problem here is there is no green. We have all rock landscaping but my kids and dog don't like to play in the back yard. I guess I am not a desert person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRdoc View Post
I think it depends on the attitude of the people coming in.... not to say your kids are bringing it on themselves in Kingman, not at all.

But Oklahoma can be 'clique'-ish at times... if anyone who is an 'outsider' comes in and immediately talks about how great it was wherever else they were, they will be treated badly from the start... and it's all about how things start. I remember one guy who moved into our small town of <10k from NYC/NJ area... he acted all hard and kinda like he didn't want to be in "Oklahoma", you know, he was a big-city addict. So he got his rear-end beat down a few times for talking to people the way he was used to talking in the city, and his mom moved him back to NYC because Poteau was "too rough". lol I thought that was funny.

Anyways, if they try hard to assimilate, and genuinely get involved and work to make friends, I think they'll be fine. I have found Oklahoma to be pretty accepting of a lot of things, including my inter-racial marriage and bi-racial child, but I attribute most of it to an ongoing effort at hard work, being genuinely nice and helpful, and not going around with a chip on our shoulders - meaning, if someone gives you a look or says something just outside your hearing, you just ignore it and go on... they're the loser in the scenario. I've been dying to get back to OK for 5+ years, ever since we left.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:53 PM

13,496 posts, read 24,158,333 times
I have a friend who's Sis moved to OK years ago. She and her entire family have always felt like they "fit in" down there. I can't remember the name of the town she lives in, but she commutes to Tahlequah for employment.

We also know someone else who has a Sis who lives in Broken Arrow. Their family also feels comfy there.

Okies are pretty welcoming, friendly people and my guess is that they are passing that trait on to their children. At least I hope so.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:59 PM

13 posts, read 20,820 times
I'm sure you and the kiddos will fit in great. BA is one of the bigger of Tulsa's surrounding suburbs, lots to do in BA and the schools are great over there.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:07 PM

8 posts, read 17,658 times
We moved here a few weeks ago from Virginia. We are currently renting in Jenks until we can decide where to buy. We, like you, have lived in a few different places. Virignia, North Carolina, Maryland. I can say that by far Okies have been the friendliest. Everyone we meet is friendly, and welcoming.
I can't speak on the schools since my youngest is 4 and starts this year, but I have met some really great polite kids in our neighborhood. There is so much to do for families. Aside from the wacky weather in the last few weeks I couldn't be happier. I think we've finally found a place that we can put down roots. I hope you'll be as happy as we are.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:43 PM

3,238 posts, read 5,508,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moabnut View Post
My family is relocating to Tulsa this summer. I grew up in Idaho, my husband grew up in Utah, and we have 2 kids. We have moved a lot because of my husbands job. My kids have mainly lived in Utah and spent 1 year in Des Moines (which we loved) and one year in Kingman, AZ (which we hate). We have never lived in the southern area and I was just wondering if there was any problems with new kids and families that move to Oklahoma. We are planning on moving to broken arrow. My oldest daughter is going to be 12 and in middle school. Anyone know any information on how the kids are in the schools? Are they friendly. We currently live in Kingman, AZ and the kids here are horrible and mean. I know that it comes with the age but it is way worse here than it was back in Utah. Thanks for the advice and help.
We moved to Mustang, OK from NJ about 5 weeks ago. My 16 year old daughter started at the high school about 3 weeks ago. She has been completely accepted, and has a couple of different groups of friends. No one treated her like an outsider. She's very happy with the school, and that's no small feat for a 16 year old at the end of her sophomore year! Good luck, I think you'll be fine in OK.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 5,466 times
Thanks you so much for the responses. I was reading them to my daughter and it has already made her feel better. I am getting excited to move. I loved the one post that talked about what people hated about Tulsa, and what I mainly gathered was the roads is what people hated. When we moved to kingman I didn't know much about it except that it was a small town. When I moved here I found out that it is in the top ten cities for drugs and meth. The people are very poor because of it and a lot of the kids come from abusive families ect... The people are also not the friendliest and the the kids at the schools reflect how they are raised. It has been very sad because there have been a few kids that I wish I could take and raise as my own. Anyways, I am am excited to move to Tulsa, it is country I have never been able to explore. We are very outdoor people and I love bike and running trails and we love camping. It seems like we will fit in just fine. Any more responses would be great!!!!!

Old 04-15-2008, 07:44 AM

32 posts, read 87,537 times
Default Most likely Yes, however...

My wife, daughter and I moved from Utah to Tulsa to attend law school at the University of Tulsa. We love the area (green, warmth) and the people have been great. Generally, they are much nicer to strangers than people are in Utah. They have many great community activities throughout the year, especially in the summer (outdoor movies, outdoor concerts, baseball games, state fair) and most all Free. My daughter has not experienced any problems in school from being an "outsider." Kids here seem to be accepting of others. Can't say the same for adults, especially if they find out that you are not Christian. Housing prices are much lower than those in Utah and Arizona. However, we have been in Oklahoma long enough and miss the mountains and of course, family, in Utah. We will be moving back to Utah next spring, after our house remodeling and law school are complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa