U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-24-2008, 03:36 PM

11 posts, read 43,578 times
Default Best Tulsa suburb area and school district

We are moving to the Tulsa area from OKC. I am trying to research the best suburb areas to live in. We have a child and we are also concerned with the school districts. In OKC, you have to really worry about OKC public schools and suburb schools are typically better-is it the same in the Tulsa area? We have been looking at the Broken Bow area and so far it looks nice (comparible to Edmond?) How are their school districts and is it close to Tulsa downtown.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-24-2008, 03:51 PM

2,443 posts, read 3,619,164 times
Look into Broken Arrow, Union and Bixby school districts. These are considered the best in Eastern OK

Unread 04-24-2008, 04:01 PM

11 posts, read 43,578 times
Thanks Schousse,

Are you familiar with the OKC metro area? I'm just wondering how Broken Arrow compares to the Edmond area.

Also, Would I be looking at a long commute from Broken Arrow if I will be working Downtown?

Thanks again

Unread 04-24-2008, 04:47 PM

7,070 posts, read 8,764,764 times
Edmond is very similar to Broken Arrow. You might also look at the Jenks SD. It too has a lot of similar characteristics.......

Unread 04-24-2008, 05:52 PM

266 posts, read 640,300 times
Union is probably the best school district.. Best suburb?? Eh, depends.. Jenks, Broken Arrow and Owasso, heck I'll even throw Bixby in there. They're all growing very quickly and are starting to outshine Tulsa.

Unread 04-25-2008, 07:59 AM

687 posts, read 1,385,362 times
Here is a schooldistrict map of Tulsa County:

http://www.assessor.tulsacounty.org/maps/schooldist.pdf

You can live in the City of Tulsa and be in the Union school district. Likewise with Jenks school district.

Unread 04-25-2008, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 8,595 times
I just moved back to Tulsa from a North Dallas suburb. We chose the Berryhill area in west Tulsa because we wanted a smaller school instead of the very large schools my kids attended and Berryhill High School received a rating of 10 on greatschools.net. Also, I work downtown and it is 8 miles so we love it. We have only been back 1 week and my kids love it and I moved a Sophomore who was not happy with me when told he would have to move. I prefer the smaller school with more teacher involvement over the larger one with more electives and less time for the child.

Unread 04-25-2008, 08:06 PM

340 posts, read 809,991 times
People have to think about suburbs differently in Tulsa. Most true suburbs but right up to Tulsa and are around 20 minutes from downtown. Broken Bow is not really a suburb, it's just a community near Tulsa.
Owasso, Jenks, Broken Arrow, Bixby and Sand Springs are the major suburbs.
Sperry, Collinsville, Choutea, Catoosa, Claremore, Pryor, Pratville, Wagner, Coweta, Glenpool are all minor, outlying semi-suburbs.

Unread 04-27-2008, 04:47 PM

7,070 posts, read 8,764,764 times
Broken Bow is several hours out of Tulsa.................

Unread 04-28-2008, 05:57 AM

16 posts, read 42,732 times
Yes, the OP and a follow-up poster misspoke (mistyped? lol) and said Broken Bow when probably thinking Broken Arrow. Broken Arrow is a Tulsa 'suburb'... think of Midwest City or Moore to OKC... practically part of the city. Broken BOW is over 3 hours south of Tulsa, nearly in the OK/TX/AR junction. If you know where Idabel is, that's basically the same area.

I'll chime in, even though I'm not in Tulsa now... been doing some research the last month or so, as I'm moving there the first week of June. Growing up in Eastern Oklahoma, I've also got some input on school systems from competing against some of these schools in extra-curricular activities, and many of my friends are currently teachers and are still actively involved with Eastern Oklahoma school systems and organizations.

Broken Arrow (B.A. as it's usually called shorthand), Union, and Jenks are often considered 'top-tier' schools in the Tulsa area. Bixby is also very nice. All these schools will have tons and tons of opportunities for your kid(s) to get involved in very high-quality programs for both sports and arts (band, choir, etc). All of these areas will offer a relatively short commute to most of Tulsa, with downtown being typically 15-30 minutes' drive. 30 minutes would be the outside edge of BA on a heavy traffic day, I believe.

The poster above who chose a smaller school district has a very valid point. All of these larger schools are much much larger than the school I attended, with BA being the largest, I believe. I am a proponent of smaller schools, smaller towns, etc., to a degree. I don't want to see my child graduating in a school that has 10 students per grade level and struggling to buy computers, but I also don't think a class of 500-700 is ideal, either, regardless of how much money the district has and how many football coaches there are.

Just my $0.02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa