Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:52 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times

Advertisements

Did you all know that you can grow your own fruit and veggies even on a small lot? I know of people who live on an urban lot and use 1/10 of an acre to grow 5,000 - 6,000 pounds of produce every year.

And even in the winter you can grow lettuces etc. here in OK.

Do yourselves a favor ..... buy a good freezer and buy your meat in bulk; i.e., a quarter or half beef and pork (depending on the size of your family) from a local meat producer (such as Cedar Crest Farms ) for about $3.00 - $3.50 a pound, eat seasonal and can, freeze and dry your fruit and veggies for the winter.

Not only will you be eating a superior product (no chemicals or hormones) but you will save a TON of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 05:20 PM

840 posts, read 3,466,287 times
Default Local Grocery store ads online

Llinks to local store's online ads. (I put K-Mart and Walgreen's on since they do have some grocery items.)

Aldi *

Country Mart

Food Pyramid

Homeland*

Kmart*

Reasors Click on Ad Specials

Target Choose Weekly Ad*

Wal-Mart *

Walgreens *

Warehouse Market Click on Advertisement

*Click on this and let it build your grocery list! (It doesn't have all the stores but it will tell you who has the item on sale and if there was a recent coupon...which is good since a couple of the stores have double coupons.)

http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/groceryguide.php

Old 01-03-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishing View Post
It looks like this is popular in Oklahoma as well. You get alot for your $25. http://angelfoodministries.com/menu.asp (and then look at the host sites to see locations)

S.H.A.R.E. is another that is for everyone you - no matter what their income?

SHARE is a not-for-profit, volunteering awareness program that provides nutritious food packages once a month to people willing to help themselves and others through volunteer work. Because of the bulk buying power and the volunteer distribution network, savings of up to 60% are passed onto SHARE participants.

Being a participant in SHARE stretches your food dollars; with the dollars you save, you are then able to buy other things you may need or want.

www.sharecolorado.com now handles Oklahoma.

__________________________________________________ ____________
Here are the locations. If you don't see one in your town you can check to see what is the closest one to you: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

BLACKWELL
BROKEN BOW
BUFFALO
CAMERON
CHEROKEE
CHICKASHA-NINNEKAH
CUSHING
DEL CITY
DRUMRIGHT
ENID
FAIRVIEW (Between Woodward and Enid)
GUYMON
HEAVENER
HUGO
LAWTON
MARLOW
MOORE
OKLAHOMA CITY
PAWHUSKA
PAWNEE
PERKINS
POLOCA
RATTAN
SALLISAW
SAPULPA
SILVER CITY
SKIATOOK
STIGLER
STILLWATER
STRATFORD
TALIHINA
WAUKOMIS
WISTER
YUKON

Check for the closest location to you SHARE Colorado Online - Host Site Locations

Old 01-05-2009, 02:00 PM

304 posts, read 888,391 times
Default Don't forget the Farmer's Markets

And don't forget the farmer's markets that start in spring and go through fall.

And since we're rural, we have a gravel lot (corner of Highway 48 adn 412). That's where we buy our produce, all summer long. Some old men sell cantelopes, some tomatoes, green beans, lettuce, corn, peaches, it goes on.

But there are several weekend markets around town. Bar none, the best produce you'll find!

I was with friends driving back from Choteau (Dutch Pantry breakfast!!!!) and passed a pickup truck manned by two old men in coveralls. They back of the truck was filled with canteloupe. We each bought two or three and to this day I wish I'd bought more. Those were the sweetest, richest canteloupe I've EVER tasted! Mmmmmm!

Old 01-10-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
Did you all know that you can grow your own fruit and veggies even on a small lot? I know of people who live on an urban lot and use 1/10 of an acre to grow 5,000 - 6,000 pounds of produce every year.

And even in the winter you can grow lettuces etc. here in OK.

Do yourselves a favor ..... buy a good freezer and buy your meat in bulk; i.e., a quarter or half beef and pork (depending on the size of your family) from a local meat producer (such as Cedar Crest Farms ) for about $3.00 - $3.50 a pound, eat seasonal and can, freeze and dry your fruit and veggies for the winter.

Not only will you be eating a superior product (no chemicals or hormones) but you will save a TON of money.

Gardening in small spaces, vertical gardens and structures for climbing plants | USA WEEKEND Magazine (http://www.usaweekend.com/08_issues/080720/080720vertical-gardens.html - broken link)

USA WEEKEND Magazine (http://www.usaweekend.com/05_issues/050320/050320garden_smart.html - broken link)

P.S. Do you have a number or a way for us to contact Cedar Crest Farms?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:00 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
One day, the problem I have with those food packages is that they consist of mostly prepared foods.

For $30 you can buy dried beans, a ten pound bag of chicken and whatever fresh or frozen veggies and fruit that are on sale and still have money left and have fresh, low fat, low sodium, healthy meals.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:47 AM

Schousse, I had noticed that about the processed foods in the Angel Food and had quit buying it but I know a lot of people do buy from there. I had been told that a few of the places that had previously done Angel Food had switched over to www.sharecolorado.com because they seemed to have more produce.

On another thread here on City Data someone mentioned that instead of buying processed food she ate healthy for $1 a day. She said had contributed to a thread showing the foods one could buy for that. It might have gotten deleted or maybe we weren't searching the right way because we never found it. I did google and found this 20 healthful foods for under one dollar.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:38 PM

172 posts, read 559,236 times
I just sent this link to my relatives in Tulsa. Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food

I saw some news article the other day about this, if you put in your zip you can pull up local farmers markets, which there are a good number in the Tulsa area, or CSA's which are kind of like time shares...lol. There are always more options than the big supermarkets, but I have been to Reasors when I have been to Tulsa and I have to say it's a good grocery store. Whenever possible always try to buy local, it's fresher and you're helping out your neighbors.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:30 PM

218 posts, read 562,750 times
Wal-Mart. =P

Old 05-16-2009, 05:22 PM

100 posts, read 267,164 times
wal mart is now importing food from china ,if you have to shop there read the lable. the g v brand apple juice is processed in china as are other g v products,wal mart sells no oklahoma beef and is limiting shelf space for name brand products ,just say no to walmart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa