Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 09:54 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,067,984 times

Advertisements

My husband's job is moving from Eufaula to Jenks within the next year (estimated). We have the option of moving and buying a house or buying a car to drive. There really isn't an option to get a different job. He don't have the training that most people want (his is OTJ) and no one here would pay him what they do.
Since we live in Checotah, I just don't know if I want to move to basically between Sapulpa and Memorial, South of 111 and North of Beggs or so. About a 15 mile radius of 111.
We live in an older house purchased in the 60's by my grandparents, my dad lived there for several years, now we do. It ain't much (3br, 1ba) but it is paid for. Our car is 10 yrs old, but it is paid for. If you only have to drive 10 miles to work each way you don't need a new one...

So here is my dilemma. Do I swallow my OMG $100,000 for a decent house.. Or do we go with buying a car. In the long run buying a car would be less expensive but it would take him 2 extra hours commuting and adding in the price of gas... well let's just hope he can find someone to ride with him. We also haven't been informed if the company will be giving us a moving package. I would think, since he has been there 21 years, they would do something. At least if we do decide to move, it would put us ahead on our house down payment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 10:47 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
My husband's job is moving from Eufaula to Jenks within the next year (estimated). We have the option of moving and buying a house or buying a car to drive. There really isn't an option to get a different job. He don't have the training that most people want (his is OTJ) and no one here would pay him what they do.
Since we live in Checotah, I just don't know if I want to move to basically between Sapulpa and Memorial, South of 111 and North of Beggs or so. About a 15 mile radius of 111.
We live in an older house purchased in the 60's by my grandparents, my dad lived there for several years, now we do. It ain't much (3br, 1ba) but it is paid for. Our car is 10 yrs old, but it is paid for. If you only have to drive 10 miles to work each way you don't need a new one...

So here is my dilemma. Do I swallow my OMG $100,000 for a decent house.. Or do we go with buying a car. In the long run buying a car would be less expensive but it would take him 2 extra hours commuting and adding in the price of gas... well let's just hope he can find someone to ride with him. We also haven't been informed if the company will be giving us a moving package. I would think, since he has been there 21 years, they would do something. At least if we do decide to move, it would put us ahead on our house down payment.
I know I would move. I certainly wouldn't want that long of a commute. There are good deals to be had on houses in Tulsa from what I hear.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:16 PM

778 posts, read 2,321,803 times
I would second that opinion. That would be a LOOOOOOONG drive and w/ gas at $3.75 a gallon, any sort of savings by not moving would be more than eaten up by fuel costs and car wear & tear.

I don't know if your budget is 100K for a home, but if it is, I wouldn't look in Jenks. You'll be hard pressed to get anything for $150-175K there. Instead look at Sapulpa or Glenpool. You could easily get a home for $100K or even a little less and be in easy commuting distance.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:08 PM

340 posts, read 1,285,884 times
If they don't relocate you, and you are unsure, rent a place near his job and keep the old house. I would suggest you move however, You likely won't find anyone to ride with him and losing 2 hours a day in the car will make him hate his job.

Consider the value of your time. If he makes $25 an hour, then he is giving up $535/month worth of his time every month. That makes that house payment a bit more manageable.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:17 PM

330 posts, read 970,079 times
I like the rent idea before buying. That way you have options if things turn out different or something else comes up. I would go against the long commute and buying a new car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa