U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 11:13 PM

30 posts, read 59,898 times
Default bad parts of Tulsa

can anyone give me the places in Tulsa that are unsafe? I know there are bad parts in Tulsa just not sure which parts. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 08:08 PM

340 posts, read 843,569 times

Old 09-08-2008, 07:42 AM

13,496 posts, read 24,154,818 times
What happened to 74136? A few years ago that area seemed to be one of the safest.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:57 AM

7,124 posts, read 9,230,007 times
In an effort to mainstream the low income population, they put a lot of section 8 and Oklahoma Housing Authority housing in that area. This tends to bring in people who are basically broke, which encourages drug dealing and petty theft. Other acts of violence are associated with this population profile as well.

This, to me, is typical of halfassed social engineering. The problems with that group of people is not the area in which they live, but the lack of social programs, such as education and training, that give people like that hope for a better tomorrow. But the powers that be seem to think just putting "have-nots" in a neighborhood with "haves" will accomplish the same thing.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:11 PM

11,882 posts, read 24,258,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
But the powers that be seem to think just putting "have-nots" in a neighborhood with "haves" will accomplish the same thing.
Good point. More is needed than just "mingling." I'm not a big fan of government programs, if only because I realize the government is not very good at administering things. The fact that they just want to move these folks into more affluent areas is representative of government inefficiency; just throwing people together ain't gonna do the trick.

It's interesting that you bring this up; a local talk show (http://klif.com/host-bolton.html - broken link) down here brought up this very topic this morning.

I don't know what the answer is to this, but obviously something else needs to be done.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:22 PM

7,124 posts, read 9,230,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I don't know what the answer is to this, but obviously something else needs to be done.
The solution is obvious, but it requires a commitment most politicians won't face. It is called EDUCATION.....but to he|| with fixing schools, hiring teachers at a professional wage, or providing free rides to qualified post secondary students. They should pull themselves up by their bootstraps.....lets punish the kids because their mom's and absentee dad's are druggies and limited in their expectations. Better we should spend $10,000,000,000 a month building schools for Iraqi's to blow up. After all an A/C system and new roof in north Tulsa is a waste of money.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:49 PM

Kinda sad, really. That was a very nice area.

You've just got to wonder~in the past, very few people were educated and yet they didn't resort to crime and drugs and violence. I wonder why that has changed in today's world.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:04 AM

2,482 posts, read 3,857,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
The solution is obvious, but it requires a commitment most politicians won't face. It is called EDUCATION.....but to he|| with fixing schools, hiring teachers at a professional wage, or providing free rides to qualified post secondary students. They should pull themselves up by their bootstraps.....lets punish the kids because their mom's and absentee dad's are druggies and limited in their expectations. .
That is part of the solution.

We (menaing society and the school system) should also stop coddling kids for the simple reason they have a lousy home life. Schools and teachers should have the ability to discipline students and give them the backbone their parents aren't able to.

Also bring back school uniforms. Doesn't have to be an expensive uniform. Blue jeans (that fit, not hanging down their knees) or blue skirts with a white dress shirt.

Lets get some discipline and structure into those kids' lives.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:32 PM

559 posts, read 747,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Kinda sad, really. That was a very nice area.

You've just got to wonder~in the past, very few people were educated and yet they didn't resort to crime and drugs and violence. I wonder why that has changed in today's world.
You mean before drugs were illegal?

Old 09-09-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill236c View Post
You mean before drugs were illegal?
Okay, let me rephrase that~They didn't resort to crime and violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa