Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2012, 11:47 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,499,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepastorsson View Post
Light rail would be smart, but I doubt it would happen anytime soon. From what I understand, OKC will have some sort of rail mass transit up and running in 5 years. Tulsa will probably think about playing catch up at that point...*sigh*

Back in the 90's when I lived in Tulsa, downtown was beautiful and well kept, but dead as a doornail after 5pm. From what I've been told, downtown is really coming alive now. It's not quite what OKC has done with there's, but it's also happening more organically.

I just spoke with a close friend a few weeks ago who was telling me about the Brady and Blue Dome Districts and how they are really coming alive now. Lots of bars, clubs, restaurants etc. Can't wait to, check it out!

Official City and County Government agencies have beem attempting to bring Mass Transit Rail to Tulsa Oklahoma since the latter part of the 1990's to no avail , the most recent example was Ex-Mayor Kathy Taylor if my memory serves me correctly had a Urban Planner Pushing Hard for Rail Transit during her time in office. Tulsa is going to have to FIGHT HARD To Win Out Over THE SUBURBAN ANTI-URBAN WING OF TULSAN http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...11_spancl92532

OKC already has Money Set Aside for Rail Mass Transit thur the MAPS tax's projects , but it might take them 5 years to get a project up and running , when it should just take one or two years "because both Tulsa and OKC will use TRACKS AND ROUTES Already IN EXISTENCES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
Is downtown pretty active? Lots of pedestrian traffic so that it feels safe? Really my only experience downtown was for a convention about four years ago and I got hit up for money a few times. I did love the architecture.
downtown OKC and Tulsa becomes more active with each passing year , and the safety issue with Downtown TULSA Is Just A Lot Of Hot Air AND HYPE no more and no less "Downtown Tulsa Is Probably THE SAFIEST SECTION OF the City Of Tulsa Oklahoma.. Downtown among safest areas | Tulsa World#

Old 06-09-2012, 02:02 PM

Default Tulsa Has a Half Way Iconic Bridge If Only They Would've Made It Intermodal And Suspension Bridge

The Tulsa Intermodal Bridge was a missed opportunity for Tulsa to push The Iconic Envelope and make that bridge a World Wide Iconic Wonder ,
like of of these other Iconic Bridges at the bottom.

If The element of a suspension bridge could've been incorporated into this design " what a hot bridge this would've been" no I'm just dreaming.

Millau Bridge - Bing Images

Old 06-09-2012, 04:10 PM

181 posts, read 296,233 times
It's really a bummer Howest, that the citizens of Tulsa aren't more forward thinking. Rail lines would improve quality of life AND really put Tulsa on the map, as would the bridge you mentioned. Wake up people! Car culture is only cool until a metro gets too big, and Tulsa, you are almost there NOW!

Regarding the safety of downtown, back in the 90's (when there were NO entertainment districts there to speak of), a close friend and I used to walk around DT in the middle of the night for hours, just talking. I'm a guy, she was a smaller female, and we NEVER, NOT ONCE, had any issues or problems. So at least then, with LESS people walking around, it was very safe.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
It's really a bummer Howest, that the citizens of Tulsa aren't more forward thinking. Rail lines would improve quality of life AND really put Tulsa on the map, as would the bridge you mentioned. Wake up people! Car culture is only cool until a metro gets too big, and Tulsa, you are almost there NOW!

Rail would only make Tulsa more of a World Class and National Ranked Major USA city. Tulsa just came out of a near Detroit moment
in 1990's and 2008 recessions " Detroit turned its back " on sections of Detroit and built up the suburban area.

Regarding the safety of downtown, back in the 90's (when there were NO entertainment districts there to speak of), a close friend and I used to walk around DT in the middle of the night for hours, just talking. I'm a guy, she was a smaller female, and we NEVER, NOT ONCE, had any issues or problems. So at least then, with LESS people walking around, it was very safe.
Bashing DT Tulsa is just talking in code about something that most people know nothing about. Most people think that Detroit is a worthless city ,but Mid-Town Detroit is some of America best "Urban Real Estate "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midtown_Detroit

Old 06-11-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Bashing DT Tulsa is just talking in code about something that most people know nothing about. Most people think that Detroit is a worthless city ,but Mid-Town Detroit is some of America best "Urban Real Estate "
Midtown Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've mentioned before--Tulsa, do NOT follow Detroit's example. The suburbs are only as strong as the city they surround. They are trying HARD in Detroit, and have turned some areas around. But you don't want the Tulsa Metro to turn into a dead city with sprawled out suburbs. Those nice rankings you guys keep getting for "Most Liveable City" will disappear...

Old 06-11-2012, 01:47 PM

Default The One Place Developement

Right across the street from Tulsa Oklahoma number one iconic wonder is One Place Developement........
June 03, 2012 Updates
One Place Tower Development

Old 06-11-2012, 05:00 PM

Wow man...that's cool!

Old 06-12-2012, 10:00 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,232,026 times
Quote:
I've mentioned before--Tulsa, do NOT follow Detroit's example. The suburbs are only as strong as the city they surround. They are trying HARD in Detroit, and have turned some areas around. But you don't want the Tulsa Metro to turn into a dead city with sprawled out suburbs. Those nice rankings you guys keep getting for "Most Liveable City" will disappear...
I was in Ann Arbor over the Memorial Day Weekend and decided to go into Detroit. I was shocked! It was kind of sickening to see such a great American city become what Detroit has. It looked like we had lost a war! In downtown there are tall building that looked like they had been empty for years. The old 20 story Metro train station sits empty just outside of downtown. All the windows are out of it. The part of downtown along the river was very nice but a few blocks in it looked like something terrible had happened.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:26 AM

Detroit is a sad tale to tell. It's history should be a required class taken by all mayors of major and up and coming cities.

Did you happen to drive up Jefferson along the river into Grosse Pointe? Talk about jarring! One moment you are in seedy Detroit, nice areas are hit and miss...then you cross a street and are in GP, which is the absolute epitome of an upper-middle to upper class town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa