Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 06:01 PM

16 posts, read 46,674 times

Advertisements

Please see page 4 of this post...I can't figure out how to move this thread to Tulsa

Thanks!
Cari

Where to go? Edmond, Norman, Tulsa, OKC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 08:12 AM

258 posts, read 1,014,669 times
From that Post.............."Yay! I got my boyfriend on board...Tulsa is the place He's going out to visit in May. NOw I just need to find out which neighborhoods. Can you guys give me more specific streets, areas? I'm thinking midtown, brookside or Cherry street area from what I've read. We like to ride bikes, walk, cool coffee shops, etc. Live music for sure (alternative) and reasonably safe. Will try to rent a house, but if we have to do apartment, that's okay, too."

Thanks guys!

First off "Welcome to Tulsa!" lol. You made the right choice ;-P

From the sound of it I would look into the Brookside area. Brookside roughly runs from I44 South to 31st on Peoria. The heart of Brookside is around 36th. The neighborhood between Peoria going west to the River often has some rental homes and there are a few apartment complexes near Riverside as well. Its only a few blocks between Brookside/Peoria and the River Parks. So you will be a hop and a skip away from the newly revamped river parks trails. The best trails to bike,rollerblade, run etc. in the city. And right near the trendy shops/restaurants, Whole Foods, etc. on pedestrian friendly Brookside.

Here are a couple of tips. 21st and Peoria to 31st and Peoria is part of the beautiful, highly desirable and posh, old Oil Mansion area. From 31st to I44 the homes and any rental properties gradually get smaller and less expensive. Cross I44 and your pretty much crossing the proverbial "tracks" and need to be somewhat wary. There are lots of caviats to that but for a newcomer, just stay North of I44 to keep it simple.

I would start at around 31st and go south looking for rental homes. They will get less expensive the further you go south so keep looking till you find that happy medium of what looks nice and still fits your budget. I actually lived near 46th between Brookside and Riverside. That area the houses may be quite "petite" lol and not look all that great, but its still a wonderful place to live. Very safe and friendly and becoming a more and more desirable area. I paid about 550 a month for a cute little 3 bedroom. That was a special deal, so no your not likely to find that type of bargain lol. But I had to brag ;-) I LOVED that area though and didnt realize how much I would miss Brookside till I moved away. Sigh... There are of course homes to the east of Peoria on Brookside as well so check there if you cant find any between Brookside/Peoria and Riverside.

Again, a lot of those tiny homes may not at first strike you as being in a nice area,,, but it really is about location, location, location. You can go south of I44 and see areas that "look" nicer, but your both, out of the Brookside vibe, and closer to a small crime spot towards 61st. You can drive along riverside from I44 and see these, ratty looking little homes. But boy I wouldnt mind one. Brookside is a very ecclectic area with more and more nicer homes and apartments being squeezed in. Here is a Zillow map of part of the area. You will see homes that range from as low as 80,000 to over 450,000 all mixed together. "those lowest prices are probably ones that havent sold in a long time so dont represent the higher values that lots of those homes are now getting, even the smaller ones". But again, the rents can vary widley too. http://www.zillow.com/homes/map/Tuls...77_rect/14_zm/

So have fun searching!

Last edited by TulsaArtist; 02-21-2009 at 08:29 AM..

Old 02-21-2009, 12:30 PM

265 posts, read 904,292 times
I would most definitely follow what Artist said and look at Brookside. Great area!!!

Old 02-21-2009, 01:07 PM

Thanks so much!
C

Old 02-23-2009, 12:51 PM

Are there any other safe, affordable (6-800 for a house) super close to downtown areas besides brookside?

Thanks!
C

Old 02-23-2009, 01:23 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
You might look on Riverside, from 21st to 41st. I lived there in the 80s and paid $400 a month for a small house. But, I'm sure that price has risen considerably today. I lived on 41st and Riverside and loved it, the Arkansas River and the River Parks were right across the street!

Go to maps.google.com and type in 4170 Riverside, Tulsa, Ok. That is the place and if you use google streetview you can get a look at the area.

Good luck!

Old 02-23-2009, 07:19 PM

75 posts, read 249,425 times
check 15th st(cherry st) from peoria to lewis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa