U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:58 PM

442 posts, read 1,463,535 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone and hopefully someone can help shed some light on this issue. Are they any neighborhoods in the Tulsa area, including Owasso, Broken Arrow, etc., that do not have covenants or at least "relaxed" covenants? We currently live in a section if the USA that is covenant crazy. In other words, we cannot plan a shrub, create a flowerbed, paint the fence, cut down a tree, nor anything else on our property without approval from the architectural board. It took an act of congress to change our front door color from dark green to an oak brown. We want to live in an area with friendly neighbors and have the freedom to landscape our yard, paint our door, and build flowerbeds. Nothing crazy like a pink house with a purple door, mind you, just the freedom to enjoy our home. My husband likes to do woodwork and we would like to have a small outbuilding to store his tools in. Is there any such place? We are looking at Tulsa because it seems to have the nicest people in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 11:02 PM

99 posts, read 352,366 times
Default Wow I would be looking to move to

That is aweful I would never be able to live like that .I love changing things to much Colors and plants and flowers .I am looking to buy in Broken Arrow or Jenks area and hubby will work in Tulsa . Tulsa is very beautiful and many surrounding areas .I hope you find what your looking for

Old 03-23-2007, 06:54 PM

Does anyone know if Jenks, BA, etc., have covenants that restrict swing sets, storage buildings, etc., from rising above the fence line? Want to stay away from those areas.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:40 AM

11 posts, read 31,760 times
My neighborhood near Jenks (Fox Pointe) does have covenants that restrict storage buildings. But that may be more due to the fact the lots there are very small and you probably wouldn't want to build a shed anyway. Other than that, they are pretty leanient on everything else and I have never had a problem. Covenants here do not seem to be city wide as they vary more by neighborhood. I have not heard much of covenants anywhere else regarding swing sets. My guess is that Broken Arrow is probably going to be more flexible than most.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:22 PM

Thanks for the input. We don't want a metal shed -- just a small building that blends with the backyard landscape and the color of the house. Mostly to store tools and a lawnmower in just to keep the garage clean and neat. We want to be sure that where we live allows us to work in our yard, plant flowers, add shrubs if necessary, paint the trim when needed, etc. We are not into garage sales, but in our current neighborhood you can't have a garage sale unles it is approved by the covenant board. Weird. Hope Tulsa is not as crazy as Jackson, MS area.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:47 PM

77 posts, read 399,781 times
WOW- sounds like you were living in the middle east. Oppression is not on the menu in tulsa or oklahoma. Im sure lovely flower beds and new paint (hopefully with good taste) would be fine with tulsa-it would only blend in. The backhouse might require city ordinance if its HUGE- but a storage space in the backyard? Im sure you will be fine, just dont bother your neighbors view. garage sales are never pretty-but im sure all you have to do is get a permit/probably costs 10 bucks. I wouldnt worry so much.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:45 PM

Middle East -- now that's a great analogy. I like that, and it's probably very true. We live in Ridgeland, MS and there is not a neighborhood without strict covenants. The sad part is, it's purely racist. In other words, Ridgeland is basically a "white" city while Jackson is a "black" city. The white areas don't want the blacks to move in so they enforce strict covenants on your property. We are white and have black neighbors that are the best people you could ever live next door to. Jackson is so crime ridden than no one should live there. We want OUT and we want to move somewhere where we can enjoy our neighbors and our property. My husband loves yardwork and has many yardworking tools. We just want to work in our yard and store our tools in a small backhouse -- no bigger than an 8 x 8. We are opressed. Oh, and the housing prices also try to keep the blacks out of white areas. For example, we live in a 1,800 sq. ft. house that appraises for over $215,000. Is that not insane?????

Old 04-16-2007, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 9,383 times
sorry, completely irrelevant to sachablue's original posting but please don't make such assumptions about 'middle east' and oppression - the middle east is a huge area covering lots of different sets of values - hence some trouble!! .. they do have gardens .. although admittedly some have been ruined by thanks to political choices and the weather and expanding deserts may prove cumbersome .. it's not all nijabs for the girls .. you should see Israel and how westernised it is.

sorry to get on my high horse but misconceptions need to be broken down and other sets of ways understood - they're not all baddies!!!!

perhaps Zimbabwe and Robert Mugabe may be more accurate analogy regarding dictatorship.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:50 AM

48 posts, read 6,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
The white areas don't want the blacks to move in so they enforce strict covenants on your property.
yeah cause we all know blacks are incapable of keeping neighborhood covenants. ...are you freaking serious??? Thats quite offensive.

Face it, you probably have a junky yard and dont want to keep it up. Fine, move to a trailer park or neighborhood without covenants.
Really, listen to yourself.

Are you running from the law? Looks like you are looking at moving ANYWHERE they will take you, and your main goal in life is to disparage MS. You are a real piece of work.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:30 PM

99 posts, read 352,366 times
Hi SashaBlue :O) Do you have a Realtor helping you ?They can help with your ? We are buying right now in Broken Arrow ina very nice area with very limited restrictions .We have look at lots of homes in Broken Arrow,Jenks,Owasso,Tulsa .We have a agent though working with us and she has let us know if there are Covenants in the areas we been looking at .We live in Ca. and are use to doing what we want to our home always improving it . With nice landscaping and waterfall and pond ,Lighting all around the front and back .Painting our home when it is needed the color we choose .So it was important to use to have that same freedom in OK. we have here :O) I do want to live in a area where people care about there homes and keep them up nice .But not be so restricted we have to ask permission to change door color or paint house a new color or plants tree's,flowers.I could not live like that . I understand where your coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa