U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2009, 02:52 PM
 
2 posts, read 6,521 times
Reputation: 11
Default Live Crawfish in Tulsa

I am trying to find a place to buy live crawfish in Tulsa. I know of Herbert's, but is there anywhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2009, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,882 posts, read 24,262,125 times
Reputation: 5356
How about Mingo creek? Seriously, I wouldn't know the answer to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Tulsa, OK, Traffic Circle Area
687 posts, read 1,447,963 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
How about Mingo creek? Seriously, I wouldn't know the answer to that.
Not since they dredged it out. I used to go fishing for crawdads (what we called em) down there all the time in my youth when it was all tangled in trees. Flood control changed all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 08:02 PM
 
2,548 posts, read 3,314,404 times
Reputation: 891
Maybe Bodeans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,882 posts, read 24,262,125 times
Reputation: 5356
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post
Not since they dredged it out. I used to go fishing for crawdads (what we called em) down there all the time in my youth when it was all tangled in trees. Flood control changed all that.
I lived in Tulsa during the 1984 Memorial day flood. I was caught on Skelly Drive and Interstate 44 at around 2 am in the morning.

One of Tulsa's finest tried to push my car out of the flood waters but he was caught up in it as well. Eventually, both me and the police officer made it up a hill to a radio station where several dozen other people were camped out for the evening.

I had several friends that lived in apartments on Mingo Creek; they said the flood waters reached up to the second floor.

That flood was unreal. I've NEVER, ever experienced any other weather event like that. It poured buckets within just a couple of hours.

I heard the storm cell just sat over the city and didn't move. The next day I saw cars sticking out of sink holes like they were toys in a sink drain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Tulsa, OK, Traffic Circle Area
687 posts, read 1,447,963 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I lived in Tulsa during the 1984 Memorial day flood. I was caught on Skelly Drive and Interstate 44 at around 2 am in the morning.

One of Tulsa's finest tried to push my car out of the flood waters but he was caught up in it as well. Eventually, both me and the police officer made it up a hill to a radio station where several dozen other people were camped out for the evening.

I had several friends that lived in apartments on Mingo Creek; they said the flood waters reached up to the second floor.

That flood was unreal. I've NEVER, ever experienced any other weather event like that. It poured buckets within just a couple of hours.

I heard the storm cell just sat over the city and didn't move. The next day I saw cars sticking out of sink holes like they were toys in a sink drain.
If you're familiar with the Vegas Club on Admiral near the Traffic Circle, that's the neighborhood I live in now. It's also the neighborhood I lived in then. I was a junior in high school during that, but I was on an overnighter at my cousin's home who lived at about 36th and Memorial at the time and worked at Skaggs. I remember this because they had the Star Wars vector graphics game up there and on weekends we would go up there an play until very late. This evening was really no different, except that we saw the carnage that was that intersection at about 1:30 AM coming from the south on Memorial and decided to turn left on 31st towards Sheridan. We got to the big church and it was flooded down there too, so we turned around, got on the Skelly Bypass, looped around on the BA to the east and got back off just south of his house and avoided the flooding. We stayed up the rest of the night watching Gary Shore on Channel 2 talking about the event and how the storms just kept reforming over themselves for about 4 hours to create the problem.

My parents, brother and sister had to deal with the flood without me. They tried driving my dad's truck out (which for 20 years after the flood was part of Channel 2 footage for weather; his truck was shown on Channel 2 with a hard hat floating inside of it) and it flooded. The wound up having to wade up to the old motel next to Hank's Hamburgers and wait it out.

The flood sirens are like nothing you ever want to hear in Oklahoma. A lot of people make fun of me if those things go off because I cringe; but it brings back an awful lot of bad memories of that night. The water was two inches from coming into our front door. We were one of three homes on the block that were spared any water damage. I still remember helping dad pull the engine out of his truck with a cherry picker, disassembling it and cleaning it and reassembling it. It took us all of the following weekend to do that. I wish I had pictures of that night. I'm sure several can be found, but it was a mess. I couldn't believe that there was 12 feet of water in the 31st and Memorial intersection. Looking at that intersection now, that's just hard to fathom. It's so much different now then it was back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2009, 06:09 AM
 
Location: Jenks, Oklahoma
559 posts, read 748,356 times
Reputation: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post
Looking at that intersection now, that's just hard to fathom.
Nice play on words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2009, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Tulsa, OK, Traffic Circle Area
687 posts, read 1,447,963 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill236c View Post
Nice play on words.
What's worse; it was truly unintentional...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2009, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,124 posts, read 9,232,606 times
Reputation: 6395
The OP might also consider calling White River.....if I were checking out water dwellers in Tulsa, I would check out White River on Sheridan and Bodeans on 51st. BUT, if you had some fish heads and stuff, and a minnow trap, I bet you could catch all you want on any creek feeding into any lake in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2009, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Tulsa, OK, Traffic Circle Area
687 posts, read 1,447,963 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
The OP might also consider calling White River.....if I were checking out water dwellers in Tulsa, I would check out White River on Sheridan and Bodeans on 51st. BUT, if you had some fish heads and stuff, and a minnow trap, I bet you could catch all you want on any creek feeding into any lake in the area.
I think White River does frozen only. They have crawfish, but frozen. I don't think they have it live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top