Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:27 PM

11 posts, read 23,617 times

Advertisements

It looks like we are another family relocating to the Tulsa area. I've read a bunch of great information here, and really appreciate all of you for your responses!

I'm curious about a few (odd) things...

What kind of grocery stores do ya'll have there?

Prices of chicken/beef/pork?

Prices of cigarettes?

Gas prices this week? (LOL)

General costs of things generally more out of curiousity than a deal breaker on the job move, as this is the first offer we've had for him in months!

Looking forward to getting out there and seeing the area. Live outside of Atlanta now, so imagine the weather will be comparable...

I have two younger children, ages 7 & 9, and will be looking at where the better school districts are, yet trying to stay in a pretty tight budget (this job is a huge money cut for us). Is Broken Arrow the most popular? Other nice school districts with affordable housing? We'll need a 4bdrm as my mother lives with us as well (sigh).

Thanks so much! Really excited, even if I'm a bit scared, about starting over in Tulsa

Pamela
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 01:30 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
I don't know about all the other stuff, but cigarettes are roughly $12 a carton cheaper in Joplin, an hour and half away via the turnpike. It's worth the trip if you buy enough to offset the price of gas and the tolls.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:49 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Those things aren't odd at all! I wondered the same thing before we moved.

Here are a few links that should help... There are MANY more Grocery stores in Tulsa this is just a sampling for price comparison.

Homeland Homeland :: Store Locator

Reasors Reasor's Foods - Services - Ad Specials

Food Pyramid http://www.foodpyramidonline.com/weeklyads.php

Current Gas Prices: Gas Prices Tulsa Gas Prices - Find the Lowest Gas Prices in Tulsa, Oklahoma

Old 07-23-2009, 05:20 PM

259 posts, read 1,072,513 times
I'm not sure on gas prices since I'm in Okc- you should be able to look up Tulsa's prices online.
Also not sure on groceries since every store varies. A pack of chicken breasts is usually $5-7, ground beef $3-6, not sure on the diff. cuts of beef or pork since I'm too cheap to buy it! Lol

Reasors is a great store, Super Target is a favorite of mine as well. There's an Akin's health food store but it's incredibly overpriced. Cherry Street has a market (On Saturdays I beleive) for fresh, local produce and goods.

As far as school districts go, Jenks, Union, Owasso and Broken Arrow are all good. You should easily find an affordable home in almost all of those school districts (with the exception of Jenks). Not sure what your price range is but plenty of decent homes here, even new construction for under $150k.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:36 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,491,643 times
Don't forget Whole Foods Market! Expensive, but worth it for some...

Also - I would say the summers are comparable as far as heat and humidity, but Tulsa gets more cold in the winter than Atlanta does.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:48 AM

304 posts, read 888,391 times
Pamela,

Just a note to say good luck. There's lots of good here and I think you'll be pleasantly suprised how much you like it, in a year. It takes that long to get settled in and to learn to appreciate the charm.

Safe moving!

Old 07-29-2009, 08:53 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
I buy my ciggies at a smoke shop. Saw the price at a convenience store, $50/carton for marlboro reds. WOW!

I pay $3.45 a pack give or take.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:32 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,492,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I buy my ciggies at a smoke shop. Saw the price at a convenience store, $50/carton for marlboro reds. WOW!

I pay $3.45 a pack give or take.
Generic cigs/USA Golds....are $50 a carton, in S.Dak.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:46 PM

56 posts, read 179,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamshallen View Post
It looks like we are another family relocating to the Tulsa area. I've read a bunch of great information here, and really appreciate all of you for your responses!

I'm curious about a few (odd) things...

What kind of grocery stores do ya'll have there?

Prices of chicken/beef/pork?

Prices of cigarettes?

Gas prices this week? (LOL)

General costs of things generally more out of curiousity than a deal breaker on the job move, as this is the first offer we've had for him in months!

Looking forward to getting out there and seeing the area. Live outside of Atlanta now, so imagine the weather will be comparable...

I have two younger children, ages 7 & 9, and will be looking at where the better school districts are, yet trying to stay in a pretty tight budget (this job is a huge money cut for us). Is Broken Arrow the most popular? Other nice school districts with affordable housing? We'll need a 4bdrm as my mother lives with us as well (sigh).

Thanks so much! Really excited, even if I'm a bit scared, about starting over in Tulsa

Pamela
  1. Grocery stores: Walmart Supercenters are the most popular. I HATE Walmart, but I'm in the minority in Oklahoma...Sam Walton is almost iconic here... Reasors and Warehouse Market are also in Broken Arrow ("BA" for the locals...just so you know...) HOWEVER, Aldi is the best place in town IMHO - a warehouse type store that is still small enough to maneuver. You "rent" your cart for a refundable .25 and bag your own groceries, but the saviings are WORTH IT!!! We love Aldi!!
  2. Meat prices....remember, this is cattle country - well in the "other" part of the state. Prices run from 1.89 for cheap beef to 2.59 for the good stuff. I shop sales and buy the lean meat! :-) I buy my chickens whole for .89/lb and don't buy pork so you'll have to find that out from someone else.
  3. Cigarettes...not a smoker so can't help you with that one.
  4. Gas - of course that is a volatile market,. The minute this post hits the board, they'll change the price, but for now it's running 2.29. My favorite gas price site is gaspricewatch.com...
  5. Schools: Broken Arrow, Jenks, Union down south are good; Owasso is the premier district to the north. Tulsa schools shoudl probably be avoided just as most major metro school systems. The smaller districts in some of the outlying areas can also be quite good as they have a high per capita spending per student and the class sizes are smaller....
  6. I have a 4 bedroom house that I may be selling in the next couple of months...not because I want to but because I HAVE to ...We are possibly/probably moving out of state. ugh ugh!!! i love Oklahoma and never wanted to leave!
Hope that helps... I wish you the best in my beloved Oklahoma!!!

Old 07-31-2009, 02:08 PM

265 posts, read 904,023 times
Broken Arrow is a great school district!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa