U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 11:25 PM

858 posts, read 1,411,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicalmom View Post
How do you break your child out of that mentality? I have a 13 yr old who loves to "pretend" he's "gangsta" I did not bring him up to be like that he see's his friends and others at school being complete idiots and thinks it's ok . He's always been a follower, so he's always trying to fit in. I don't want him to get hurt (we live on the east side of Tulsa which is becoming very bad as far as crime) I like to know ways of breaking him of this mentality, because everything I have tried is not working.
Change schools, move if you need to do so. Break him from his current negative friend group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 09:40 PM

11 posts, read 8,517 times
Bad water, Bad fishing. Not much in the way of outdoors and My God is it trashy! I mean literally trash everywhere! It must be litterbug heaven lol. We took our kids up to the Oxley Nature Center and believe it or not they display an exhibit there with a simple tree stump with squirrel clinging to the side,leaf litter and a crushed water bottle around the stump lol.

I quit even trying to fish here due to fish having cysts and I mean covered! Tried to tell a fellow fisherman who was a local and he said:" Aw dem turtle bites lol!" Oh well,they must taste great lol. That's my main grip though just very poor outdoor experiences to be had here.
The weather in my opinion is way too hot. Winter is way too short, usually no snow. Grass comes out for spring, greens up then gets burned to death and stays brown until next spring!

Prescription drug abuse is through the roof and meth is everywhere! I like Claremore but have actually seen tweekers staggering across the roads and walking and talking like zombies around the grocery stores. A man just yesterday blew his self away after shooting at cops in front of the Claremore hospital!

The roads are the worst I have seen in the country lol. I've been here almost 8 years and in some places where the road crews have been, the roads are falling apart behind them as they go lol! Bridges are falling apart literally! I could go on and on and on.
If you like Frisbee golf and running tracks around parks you may get shot in while stumbling over litter you would love it! We took our daughter to one of the better local parks here and we actually found human feces on the slide and I'm sure it wasn't a kid that did it. Pedophilia is through the roof! I've never lived somewhere where almost everyday some school teacher male or female has messed with a child. Doctors, Dentist, police and church leaders! A couple cops up in Jay Ok actually raped multiple women and after doing so the stupid town increases property taxes to pay for damages lol. In Spavinaw OK the sheriff who also functioned at school and church decides to pic up a couple of very young girls and have his way!

Everyone I've met is very materialistic and loves to show off if they get something new, especially lawn mowers lol. If you want friends in Oklahoma buy yourself a bass boat!! People here actually admit that they befriend someone for the use of something that person has, especially hunting land. I had a guy tell me it took him years to work his neighbor so he could hunt deer on the guy's land. It just turned my stomach.
I've become materialistic to an extent and that's because there is nothing else in this state like you have in others like the Smoky Mountains of eastern Tennessee or the Great Lakes of Michigan or the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. So we delight ourselves in small material things that bring us joy for a while and move on to the next item. Me I can't wait to leave, I'm counting the days!! Hope this little rant helps!
If you don't believe me, check our local news for a week.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:34 PM

143 posts, read 135,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieDokie1 View Post
Bad water, Bad fishing. Not much in the way of outdoors and My God is it trashy! I mean literally trash everywhere! It must be litterbug heaven lol. We took our kids up to the Oxley Nature Center and believe it or not they display an exhibit there with a simple tree stump with squirrel clinging to the side,leaf litter and a crushed water bottle around the stump lol.

I quit even trying to fish here due to fish having cysts and I mean covered! Tried to tell a fellow fisherman who was a local and he said:" Aw dem turtle bites lol!" Oh well,they must taste great lol. That's my main grip though just very poor outdoor experiences to be had here.
The weather in my opinion is way too hot. Winter is way too short, usually no snow. Grass comes out for spring, greens up then gets burned to death and stays brown until next spring!

Prescription drug abuse is through the roof and meth is everywhere! I like Claremore but have actually seen tweekers staggering across the roads and walking and talking like zombies around the grocery stores. A man just yesterday blew his self away after shooting at cops in front of the Claremore hospital!

The roads are the worst I have seen in the country lol. I've been here almost 8 years and in some places where the road crews have been, the roads are falling apart behind them as they go lol! Bridges are falling apart literally! I could go on and on and on.
If you like Frisbee golf and running tracks around parks you may get shot in while stumbling over litter you would love it! We took our daughter to one of the better local parks here and we actually found human feces on the slide and I'm sure it wasn't a kid that did it. Pedophilia is through the roof! I've never lived somewhere where almost everyday some school teacher male or female has messed with a child. Doctors, Dentist, police and church leaders! A couple cops up in Jay Ok actually raped multiple women and after doing so the stupid town increases property taxes to pay for damages lol. In Spavinaw OK the sheriff who also functioned at school and church decides to pic up a couple of very young girls and have his way!

Everyone I've met is very materialistic and loves to show off if they get something new, especially lawn mowers lol. If you want friends in Oklahoma buy yourself a bass boat!! People here actually admit that they befriend someone for the use of something that person has, especially hunting land. I had a guy tell me it took him years to work his neighbor so he could hunt deer on the guy's land. It just turned my stomach.
I've become materialistic to an extent and that's because there is nothing else in this state like you have in others like the Smoky Mountains of eastern Tennessee or the Great Lakes of Michigan or the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. So we delight ourselves in small material things that bring us joy for a while and move on to the next item. Me I can't wait to leave, I'm counting the days!! Hope this little rant helps!

Well, aren't you just a breath of fresh air! Sounds like you need to move away. I'm sorry you hate it here, but I think you've vastly over exaggerated everything!

Old 07-13-2016, 02:07 PM

3,832 posts, read 3,357,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieDokie1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomagirl74 View Post
Well, aren't you just a breath of fresh air! Sounds like you need to move away. I'm sorry you hate it here, but I think you've vastly over exaggerated everything!
I don't know that Okie Dokie over exaggerated everything although I've never heard of the cyst covered fish. I think he/she is maybe an outsider in a less desirable area outside of Tulsa. It's hard when you're unhappy and don't fit in with your surroundings. My advice to Okie Dokie would be to find out what makes you happy and look for that. Maybe move at least to a better neighborhood. If you look around, you might find a better one.

There are pedophiles everywhere. You have to be involved with and watch your children and teach them how to protect themselves.

I've met people who only wanted to be my friend to use me. It happened a few times in Tulsa, but it has also happened elsewhere. You have to figure out who those people are and avoid them (or really make them mad and they'll leave you alone. )

Tulsa doesn't have the greatest scenery or the best nature parks and trails or the greatest water access. It's not the ugliest or least desirable I've ever seen either. Sometimes you have to ignore that and find what does make you happy. If this stuff is important to you then you probably needed to get in the car and drive a couple of hours. Find your happy place.

I don't know about the materialism. Some people will always stand out in a crowd. In general, I have noticed that people notice when you have something nicer than them. Sometimes it's easier to find people who are closer to your stand of living and then live below your means. You're not envious of them and they think you're poor so they leave you alone.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:48 PM

Can't wait!!! As I write this Tulsa PD is engaged in a standoff with another poor Tulsan who has succumbed to the heat lol! Borded up in his home with a gun! While Homeland Security chases bombs around Tulsa! no kidding check the news right now! Also just heard Tulsa drinking water could be contaminated with lead and bluegreen alge. Just heard that bit on KRMG.

Thanks for the kind reply Sarasez! I have tried desperately to love this place for the pat 8 years and came very close to buying a home but just couldn't make myself do it. I live in Broken Arrow at the moment in the best it has to offer as far as apartments go and I've traveled OK extensively within 2 hours and beyond and from what I've seen it only gets worse! But all that being said yes I'm a transplant used to the forests of the east growing up in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains which is far more beautiful than the Ozarks. I used to fish the salt water and natural lakes and rivers which are non existent here. Anyway it won't be long and I'll be home! It's like waiting on Christmas! Can't wait to show the kids what I've seen.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:11 AM

620 posts, read 1,541,061 times
Local news on TV in every town and city I have lived in has focused on Crime, Weather, and Sports because that's what gets people's attention, raises audience viewership, and increases ad revenue. I would urge you to use the internet to listen to stations in cities around the country including your next destination and you'll find the same "Breaking News" to grab your eyeballs to watch on-the-scene reports of traffic accidents, molestation, crime, fire and flood.

Some viewers are psychologically impacted more than others by this type of repeated bombardment by negative messages. Hopefully, your venting and extreme use of hyperbole should sound an alarm bell that you need to watch less news and perhaps talk to a therapist. Depression of this sort is understandable and treatable. Good luck to you.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:34 PM

Thanks Bill, But I have lived in many other states and other countries and I can tell you with great certainty that it is not as bad in some other locations, however it can be worse -take Detroit for example! I already watch the news in the location I plan to move to shortly and wow what a difference!

But My problem with Oklahoma is not just the news, it's a million other things as well! such as bad roads, bad weather, bad outdated dilapidated architecture, too much dust, smoke and smog plus you have the heat and ozone alerts, flat land small underbrush type trees, stagnant water, a lack of fish and game management, to name a few!

As far as depression goes I'm far from it and you know as well as I do prescription drugs are the only way to go for depression in Oklahoma if you don't believe me check the stats LOL! But I must admit you're right about the venting. I love it!

Just got back from the Michigan's Upper Peninsula near the Canadian border and wow what a change - A fisherman's paradise and a hunter's dream. No, that's not where I'm moving but must admit I thought about it

Check any worst place to live list online and you will find this great state ranks in the top 5.
America's 10 worst states to live in 2016

Most people I talk to that are from here or been here more than 5 years typically feel like you - as if there is nothing better outside state lines I think because of constant local propaganda. Such as a story recently on the news explaining how Oklahoma is the fishing capitol of the WORLD lol not just the country the world folks! We have more shoreline than the East coast they say. I say they must count ever muddy hoof print in the state to come up with those numbers Oh and we have big foot too I see the back glass stickers everywhere! It cracks me up man! To be honest I'll probably check Tulsa news regularly after moving just to laugh!

Old 07-14-2016, 07:27 PM

32,602 posts, read 18,066,961 times
Mommy, come get me!

Old 07-14-2016, 07:34 PM

There you go redbird!

Old 07-18-2016, 08:18 PM

3,420 posts, read 2,405,810 times
No, sadly OkieDokie speaks the truth- IDK about the fish though, but yeah everything else is spot on. I lived in Tulsa from 2008-2013, and my brother still lives there from 2009 on. I used to love Tulsa, as did he! But in the last few years, Tulsa has declined. Crime is worse, schools awful, roads abysmal, and with oil and gas tanking, the job market there is awful. Companies there think $10 an hour is Kevin Durant money, and nepotism is king there. Not to mention that most places won;t want anyone with an IQ above houseplant level, as it makes the manager and others look bad. Most people I spoke to had never left the state, and all seem to follow Fox News, and talk about either Sooner football, how evil Obama is, and guns. roving packs of feral "youths" are harassing and vandalizing people where he lives, and the apartment management and police are afraid to do anything due to political correctness. Tulsa used to rock, now it's getting more ghetto by the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or