Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 09:14 PM

11 posts, read 11,468 times

Advertisements

Bravo LeaveWI, Bravo! Thanks for the help I really like the part about the Kevin Durant money and like you noticed most people from here have never been outside the state lines. I guess we should be thankful :-) I'm still laughing... You are so spot on. Kevin Durant left, he couldn't take it anymore either. We just got a new sheriff. I voted for Luke Sherman, but Vic Regalado bought the spot, (yeah you can LEGALLY do that in Oklahoma). Looks like he's getting it cleaned up around here. We had two police shootings this week that were fatal. I was listening to the radio today and a local reporter said and I quote: "two days in a row Tulsa man fatally shot".I was like..what?? that's torture. LOL Oh well we know what she meant to say.

About the fish - it's a parasite that uses the fish as a host while completing its life cycle. The American White Pelican and the fresh water snail are the other two hosts. On the fish it causes a small cyst, mostly around the fins, but here they cover the fish all over the lips, fins and body. When filleted you will find these parasites looking similar to black pepper on the fillet. As long as they're cooked properly it's not a problem.
Glad you got out LeaveWI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 03:09 PM

11 posts, read 11,468 times
Great article here about the mental health of Oklahoma! Oklahoma ranks near the bottom in new mental health study | News OK

Old 07-23-2016, 06:02 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieDokie1 View Post
Great article here about the mental health of Oklahoma! Oklahoma ranks near the bottom in new mental health study | News OK
I hope they didn't post my picture on that study!

Old 07-23-2016, 06:38 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
My sister used to live in Tulsa for a number of years. I would definitely agree that the city appears to be on the decline overall, apart from some of the old money areas and gentrified neighborhoods Downtown, Brady District, etc.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:13 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times
The suburbs are growing. I live in Owasso and there is little reason to live in Tulsa. While I hate the road work(in Tulsa), it is a necessary investment in the future.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:57 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
This comment is focused on Oklahoma in general but moreso in Tulsa. The sense I received was it was not racially tolerant. Interracial relationships were frowned upon. Black and white dating was viewed as being taboo and against cultural norms in my experience. The city was not very religiously tolerant toward non-Christians to the point that you would be told you are going to hell if you didn't accept Jesus Christ. And of course, support for LGBT was not well endorsed based on the conservative evangelical nature of the city. I think you can trace this back to it's history. Tulsa used to have an affluent African American community and neighborhood which was burned down. When you combine that with it's large evangelical Christian presence ie Oral Roberts University etc, it's not difficult to understand why. Most troubling to an outsider like myself (born and raise in California) is the city didn't seem troubled by this reputation and was almost okay with it. What I always found fascinating is that Tulsa was not that far from Kansas City yet they were worlds apart culturally. It would be like comparing Chicago (Kansas City) to Birmingham (Tulsa).

Old 08-17-2016, 08:06 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
In nearly every other state, the urban areas have cultures that are very different from the more conservative surrounding rural areas. That isn't the case in Oklahoma. This thread is primarily about Tulsa, which is actually more urban and progressive than OKC (urban and progressive is a relative term in Oklahoma). The three hour trip down to Dallas is like jumping forward in time 30 years and being back in the real world. It's hard to believe two places so close can be so night and day different. As the poster above said, it's similar with Tulsa and Kansas City, though like I have said compared to OKC, Tulsa does seem a little more progressive and vibrant.

I will say that when I moved back to Oklahoma I was still a churchgoing person (though I did have certain issues with it). However, the way most people here wear it on their sleeves and use the government to enforce their rigid, narrow interpretation of the Bible has really turned me away from wanting anything to do with the church. Not to mention that here is seems to be more about who you vote for and who you hate than anything else. And yes, I am part of one of those groups most people in Oklahoma hate, though I am closeted (and will be until I get out of this state).

Last edited by bawac34618; 08-17-2016 at 08:18 AM..

Old 08-20-2016, 11:46 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
In nearly every other state, the urban areas have cultures that are very different from the more conservative surrounding rural areas. That isn't the case in Oklahoma. This thread is primarily about Tulsa, which is actually more urban and progressive than OKC (urban and progressive is a relative term in Oklahoma). The three hour trip down to Dallas is like jumping forward in time 30 years and being back in the real world. It's hard to believe two places so close can be so night and day different. As the poster above said, it's similar with Tulsa and Kansas City, though like I have said compared to OKC, Tulsa does seem a little more progressive and vibrant.

I will say that when I moved back to Oklahoma I was still a churchgoing person (though I did have certain issues with it). However, the way most people here wear it on their sleeves and use the government to enforce their rigid, narrow interpretation of the Bible has really turned me away from wanting anything to do with the church. Not to mention that here is seems to be more about who you vote for and who you hate than anything else. And yes, I am part of one of those groups most people in Oklahoma hate, though I am closeted (and will be until I get out of this state).

People in the closet are (both) Great and Small Smart and Dumb and Good and Evil . However I always felt that the Majority are great and the Majority are also Good. Now if a person goes to
Heaven none of the above matter , just Faith in JESUS his last name is not Christ however.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:31 PM

125 posts, read 212,982 times
Like OkieDokie1 and LeaveWI, I'm at about 5 years here (transplant from KC). I spent much of my childhood in B'ville, and it wasn't a bad place to grow up, but the seventies were a different time and no one I knew who was "in the closet" or in any way different would have dared to come out. Like in much of America, it didn't happen in small towns. Most of my graduating class headed for the hills as ConocoPhillips laid off our parents. Still, it was relatively light on bullies and crime, high on art and music and school, and very pretty as far as towns go.

Having come back here after decades spent around the greater midwest (never could afford the coasts), I expected to really love it and fit in. It's been...challenging.

I believe it has changed, in that many left, and those that stayed that were on the gravy train (oil and gas revenue) dug in and defended their livelihood against change (social or economic) by taking over the government. Sound strategy, ask the Koch brothers...

I have relatives in Texas, Missouri, Kansas, and further Southwest, and I see many similarities. What is it I notice? Fear. Lots of fear. You see it as anger, being closed off, not liking change, racism, homophobia, defense against crime, etc. Why else would we all carry guns in the gloveboxes of our trucks and place giant mega-church stickers in the back windows at the same time? Trust in God but pack heat? I'm not anti-gun, but ownership and constant carry is a new thing (I was brought up as a gun owner, and unless we were hunting we never felt like we needed them).
This fear is causing a lot of lowered eyebrows, mistrust, road rage, middle fingers, neighbors that don't talk, etc.

Much of the middle USA (outside of the cities) is suffering this same malaise. As we transition from manufacturing and skilled labor to service jobs and retail, people outside the cities (and I don't really count Tulsa as on an economic playing field with places like KC or Dallas) are going to continue to suffer. Small Oklahoma communities are being destroyed by meth and poverty. Its just as bad around the Missouri lakes or Texas plains.

Many of the friends I've made here are transplants, as outsiders aren't really trusted very much by those that have never left, and we seem to band together. I've known several couples who just couldn't do it anymore and went back to more expensive cities. When we're in Dallas or KC we feel like we're just normal "people" and we blend, but here, we just try not to offend. I don't expect this place to change to suit me, I'm not that egotistical, but I can't say I'll stay once I get my kids matriculated (there's a weird word).

Old 10-29-2016, 03:23 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Default March Maddness Doesn't Come To The BOK Center Every Year

Events - BOK Center

BOK Center
204 South Denver Avenue, Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Today we offer extra 8% off the ticket price:

8PFGHX98 - use this code at the checkout to receive extra discount.

The NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament: Rounds 1 & 2 - Session 3 will take place at the BOK Center, at 204 South Denver Avenue, Tulsa, Oklahoma. Next performance is on March 19, 2017. Gates typically open two hours before the event start time. Gate opening times are subject to change so please clarify before heading to the venue.

The National Collegiate Athletic Association, better known as the NCAA, sponsors inter-collegiate national championship sports teams. This top-notch organization awards 2.7 billion dollars in college scholarships per year to support student athletes in Divisions I, II and III, attracting the cream of the crop in sports athletics.

Over 45% of Americans follow the exciting college games sponsored by the NCAA. One of the highlights of the championship tournaments is "March Madness," an extremely popular series of NCAA college basketball games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa