U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 02:42 PM

11,692 posts, read 5,656,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I haven't been to that area in years, it just wasn't my cup of tea if you know what I mean. The last time I was there, it seemed like an island of filth in a somewhat nice part of town. Trash on the streets, ugly buildings, no charm at all. I didn't know if anything or much has changed in the last 20 years. With OKC changing so much since then I would hope it's also turned around.
It hasn't changed. It's still, by appearances, a run down, ugly area in an otherwise nice part of town. Given the history of the gay community in OKC, that's how they wanted it when the area was initially developing. They wanted the gay-oriented nightlife in an area where people wouldn't be aware of it if they didn't know what they were looking for. I believe Angles still has an alarm system that was used in the 1980s to warn people that the police were coming so they could evacuate the club in time. There was a time, not long ago, when those bars were routinely raided by police merely for being gay bars.

Even with the conservative climate of OKC, LGBT acceptance has come a long ways since then. However, it's going to be difficult to convince the city to invest in revitalizing that area. It would be nice to see a new streetscape and I think that would go a long way towards spurring more development over there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 07:52 PM

2,572 posts, read 3,750,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It hasn't changed. It's still, by appearances, a run down, ugly area in an otherwise nice part of town. Given the history of the gay community in OKC, that's how they wanted it when the area was initially developing. They wanted the gay-oriented nightlife in an area where people wouldn't be aware of it if they didn't know what they were looking for. I believe Angles still has an alarm system that was used in the 1980s to warn people that the police were coming so they could evacuate the club in time. There was a time, not long ago, when those bars were routinely raided by police merely for being gay bars.

Even with the conservative climate of OKC, LGBT acceptance has come a long ways since then. However, it's going to be difficult to convince the city to invest in revitalizing that area. It would be nice to see a new streetscape and I think that would go a long way towards spurring more development over there.
Have you ever been to Boys Town in Chicago? It's amazing what the city and the LGBT community had done in st area. Even if you're not gay, it's an incredible place to go.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:45 PM

511 posts, read 273,269 times
There's that interstate highway on the east side. If they see 3 men in a car with no women or children, they just assume they are drug dealers and pretty much dismantle their car. Happened to 3 guys who went there to metal detect for old coins. They hated illegal drugs, maybe never even seen one let alone studied them.

As they were finally allowed to leave, one of them joked that they call it the sooner state because the sooner you get out of there, the better.

An elderly couple said someone dear to them was doing 100 years on prison for possession of 2 oz of plant material. Order from God against his best plant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviodante View Post
Well, what do ya say?

Old 06-20-2017, 11:46 PM

22,345 posts, read 15,848,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I haven't been to that area in years, it just wasn't my cup of tea if you know what I mean. The last time I was there, it seemed like an island of filth in a somewhat nice part of town. Trash on the streets, ugly buildings, no charm at all. I didn't know if anything or much has changed in the last 20 years. With OKC changing so much since then I would hope it's also turned around.
The construction of a new bar, the Boom, around 5 years ago has kept that area from going further downhill since Angles closed, except for special events. The Boom is packed on Saturday nights for the drag show. The host and co-owner Kitty Bobby Aimes is good at making audience laugh with her stand up comedy as in "Marriage is like a bean bag chair. It's easy to get into but hard to get out of." She can also be good with insulting individual members of the audience with her foul, putdown humor. I like the comedy part of the show better than when the drag queens are performing. But they are usually quite a sight in their elaborate outfits.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 06-21-2017 at 12:52 AM..

Old 06-20-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post

An elderly couple said someone dear to them was doing 100 years on prison for possession of 2 oz of plant material. Order from God against his best plant?
Oklahoma child molesters get off a lot easier. Instead of doing anything about it, Oklahoma legislators think it's far more important to try to ban abortion. So much for being pro-life for the little children.

OK Craigslist Predator Out On Probation - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 06-21-2017 at 12:31 AM..

Old 06-21-2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post
There's that interstate highway on the east side. If they see 3 men in a car with no women or children, they just assume they are drug dealers and pretty much dismantle their car. Happened to 3 guys who went there to metal detect for old coins. They hated illegal drugs, maybe never even seen one let alone studied them.

As they were finally allowed to leave, one of them joked that they call it the sooner state because the sooner you get out of there, the better.

The three guys lucked out better than me. One time over 10 years ago I didn't perform the sobriety test good enough for the cops and they put me under arrest. They didn't have a breathalyzer to test me for alcohol, so the first stop before jail was Guthrie Hospital, so a nurse could draw blood from me to get tested. The Logan County jail was a literal rat hole, because I saw a rat come out of a hole in the wall. So I sure didn't sleep that night. Overhearing a couple of inmates bring up oral sex acts didn't help, either. Over a month later the blood test came back free of alcohol, so I was cleared of all charges. Oklahoma is so paranoid over drugs that sometimes innocent people have to suffer over it.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

The city did something several years ago. It eliminated two lanes from a small portion of 39th, in order to mark off two bike lanes. Also street corners were made accessible for wheel chairs. It hasn't helped things enough. The ugly abandoned car wash at Barnes & 39th has got to go, if just for a new parking lot.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:35 PM

905 posts, read 590,419 times
They closed Po Folks restaurant didn't they? That's bad.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:36 AM

7,437 posts, read 9,173,373 times
Visited Tulsa this past weekend, just drove through and spent time exploring 74137 zip and jenks. I drive in from NWA on 412 then headed to south Tulsa, the zip mentioned before driving to Utica Square and through DT to Jenks. Much of Tulsa looks old and tired to me. The zip noted and Jenks much less so but coming from NWA where most everything is new, it looked shabby and the roads were rough in need of repair all over when I drove up from Durant to I40 to NWA then back home down US69 to Durant and home to Texas.

But the climate was nice this weekend and it is closer to family than NWA so moving to Tulsa is on my list despite this issues. I can see how once nice areas are run down now and though I do not have kids to benefit from my home want that area to remain nice for over 20 years or so and feel the two areas mentioned will do so. Gated communities are faux security in my view but so numerous in the area I prefer (bounded by 111 and 121 and Sheridan and Yale) I am more then open to them, this area and nearby shopping seemed solid for set to stay so, but who really knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa