Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:31 PM

70 posts, read 319,897 times

Advertisements

Well, what do ya say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 08:46 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,451,991 times
We, meaning the OK Dept. of Corrections, get a lot of business from Tulsa. Too many youngsters growing up with the mentality that its cool to be a gangsta. They have no idea whats in their future if they are sent to prison.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:52 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,794,796 times
1). Crime: Tulsa does have way too much crime for a city of its size, although most of the crime is centered in the far northern part of the city.
2). Development. For years Tulsa rested on its laurels with accolades of being beautiful, cultural, and so on. Yet they did nothing to really step up and bring in more young professionals and develop the city with an eye on the future. As a result, their population declined as people moved to the suburbs. That's changing right now but Tulsa has a lot of catching up to do with other cities in certain areas.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:31 AM

259 posts, read 1,069,081 times
I'll agree, downtown Tulsa needs more housing options and entertainment/nightlife for the young professional.
I also felt while living there that it's a very segregated town- the rich white people are in the south, African Americans in the north "bad" side of town and hispanics in the east side. Every city is like that to some degree, including Okc but it just seems less obvious there.
Overall I loved living in Tulsa- beautiful city, but people just seemed more conservative, close-minded, and a little snobby (for Oklahoma standards) at least on the south side where I lived.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:08 AM

94 posts, read 610,982 times
It's too far from here.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:10 AM

70 posts, read 319,897 times
Haha, obviously no George Strait fans, even out in Okie.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:48 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,794,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery'sMommy View Post
I also felt while living there that it's a very segregated town- the rich white people are in the south, African Americans in the north "bad" side of town and hispanics in the east side. Every city is like that to some degree, including Okc but it just seems less obvious there.
Gotta agree with you there. Every city has these areas, but in Tulsa it is somewhat pronounced.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:06 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,738,293 times
Default Tulsa will eventually get better

Very bad small roads with no sidewalks. Decline of development. Bad decision making by many community leaders. Has high air pollution for a city its size. Bad crime stats. I have to admit, segregation is bad. Problems with getting in and out of city because of the lack of major interstates/toll booths. Small in sq. miles for a city its size and will have trouble with expansion. Feels like one big suburb. Has fallen way behind other cities its size in the region. Holding on to its past as a defence for contemporary times. Charming city, but is lacking in infrastructure which is critical. Bad call on beautiful arena, because the site is next to a trash dump and the tulsa county jail. cant pass tax incentives for quality of life. Lakes and scenery is beautiful, but many of the green country lakes are just as close to Okc considering driving time.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:28 PM

15 posts, read 78,778 times
we do have a crime problem as stated, "in the north side" but i still feel safe there. ..actually i agree with everything they have said before me. they keep wanting to attract "young professionals" but we have nothing really to draw them in. or at least keep them here. the city officials need to create a better image and actually do something that makes that image substantial. this being said, it is a comfortable town. it's a town you could raise a family in. it has it's ups and downs. i'm leaving it, but i will miss it. and i can almost guarantee i'll come back to it.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:56 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,738,293 times
OKC also has its bad side (southside) that inflates many numbers that can also be misleading. This similarity to tulsas northside is a good comparison that two faces exist in both cities- both are ugly and have high crime statistics. To ignore tulsas northside is silly and does a great deal of disrespect to the citizens that reside there. I hear of tulsas northside via whispers and I assume it must be some kind of cover up for the image of tulsa. OKC southside is always seen as the face of OKC- . The northside of OKC doesnt embrace its southside, but we at least acknowledge it as a significant part of our town and heritage. So to reply to the thread- your question "Tell me something bad about tulsa". My answer is the entire northside of tulsa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa