Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:39 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times

Advertisements

It's a nice thought, but Google the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. BC. Wikipedia has a very good description of what was done and what it cost. It's been at least 3-4 years since the WA side of the border started gearing up for the overflow - a lot, and I do mean a lot, of money being spent on spec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 09:12 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Default This Would Bring The Shot In The Arm That TULSA Needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaArtist View Post
I know I know, fall out of your chair absurd idea right?

Tulsa World: Committee eyes possible Tulsa bid for Olympics

Tulsans Look To Host 2020 Olympics - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

At first I was like,,, You have got to be kidding. However, I like big ideas and going for it. I like thinking out of the box and giving it a go. Sometimes its the unexpected, taking the untried path that changes ones perspective and you suddenly realize you might be on to something. Even if that something wasnt what you had originally expected.

After watching the News on 6 segment, it appears that what Tulsa would be doing would be making itself the headquarter city for an Oklahoma/regional bid for the Olympics. They noted that the Atlanta Olympics, didnt actually have all the events in Atlanta. Like the big, money making, Soccer events being in Florida. The story mentioned that we would actually have events hosted as far away as Norman, Stillwater, Bartlesville and OKC. We would be the instigators and the "named face" of the Olympics, but it would really be many cities, or "Oklahoma" putting on the games. In this light, this laughable idea starts to look interesting. The very novelty of the approach being proffered, if played right, would at least get us a double take lol, and there may actually be advantages to this approach (versus one huge city like Chicago) which might have been over looked simply because nobody else has ever been so bold as to even consider the idea.

There are some possibilities here. But you would have to play your cards with all the flair and finesse you could muster. That would include getting all the other cities like OKC behind the idea. I think it would be great to have everyone pulling together to get this to happen. Though OKC might be a bit upset that it wasnt their name up as being the host city . Hey, it was our insane idea lol. Though they and all the other cities and colleges would get a lot of attention.
The OLYMPICS Are Only Staged In World Class Cities Or at the very
minimal near World Class Cities.....Tulsa Is SMART And Has A Lot Of
Fire IN THE BELLY To Even Try "This" And I Say Go Ahead And Do
Your Level Best TO MAKE THIS WORK /It Will Be Very Interesting To
See What The Out Come Will BE......

Old 08-06-2009, 09:45 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,086 times
I agree with Happytown he city of Tulsa does not have the infrastructure to support this endeavor. Just because we have the BOK center drawing big name entertainment does not in any way shape or form mean we can host any type of Olympic venue. The powers that be in the City of Tulsa and the big spending dreamers need to find something more productive to do, this is way out of the league of Tulsa. Just this morning I read where Big Splash had a big broo-ha-ha last night and had only one security guard on duty. Now someone explain to me how Tulsa can support the Olympics, which would put a great deal more stress on an already stressed out City? City planners or whoever thought this up, please take your head out of the clouds or where ever your heads happen to be at the moment come down to earth and clean up the messes we already have and start small. Also who do you think is going to pay for this fiasco? I am sure the citizens would freak out if the cost would come out of their pockets, we are already stretched to the max.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:53 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
The only way Tulsa could get the Olympics would be if they teamed up with other cities......maybe a OKC, Tulsa, Wichita venue would work, where simultaneous events could be held in different facilities located in different cities.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:12 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Yes, the summers are really unbearable. It's 100 degrees this minute and miserable.

For this and other reasons, I really do not believe this will happen. I actually think it is Mayor Taylor's communications staff working overtime. Like them or not, they are pros at generating spin. It's good PR to for a city to claim it's making a bid -- gets people to talking about Tulsa and in turn gives them an opportunity to promote "all the wonderful and exciting things that have happened in Tulsa lately," even if the bid never comes to fruition.

And it won't.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:52 PM

Default Shoot For The Moon And If YOU Miss Land Among The STARS

This is a "win" "Win" deal for the city of Tulsa , it would be like a
man walking into a room and knocking out a 800 pound Gorilla....

Old 10-07-2009, 06:42 PM

Default Vancouver BC Winter Olympics Link................

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
It's a nice thought, but Google the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. BC. Wikipedia has a very good description of what was done and what it cost. It's been at least 3-4 years since the WA side of the border started gearing up for the overflow - a lot, and I do mean a lot, of money being spent on spec.
Here Is The Vancouver BC Winter Olympics Links And How Much
It's Going To Cost.....I Think That Tulsa and The State of Oklahoma
Along With The federal Government Could Foot The Bill For Something
In This Neighborhood what Do You Think...............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_winter_olympics

Old 10-07-2009, 07:27 PM

72 posts, read 165,834 times
OK I volunteer to host the judo matches at my house....we have a decent backyard and I could build some bleachers, I suppose.

Who else can help out?

Old 10-07-2009, 08:15 PM

Default Now That's The Spirit.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
OK I volunteer to host the judo matches at my house....we have a decent backyard and I could build some bleachers, I suppose.

Who else can help out?
Now that's what I'm talking about....Now that's the Spirit , we are
cooking with grits NOW.........Can You Smell What The TULSA Is Cooking..

Old 12-20-2009, 09:56 PM

I'm chopping at 'the' bit to see what becomes of this "Olympics
Bid" of Tulsa Oklahoma , and if it does fall short I think that Tulsa
should (Bid On A World Fair...Expo) Check The Internet Links Below

List of world's fairs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expo_(exhibition)

Home

These World Fairs can sometimes be stepping stones to an OLYMPIC.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa