Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 04:17 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
NO!
Well, you sir are just no fun at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 06:05 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,402,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Well, you sir are just no fun at all!
Well shucks Tex...
I NEVER claimed to be fun...

Old 06-07-2008, 08:16 PM

108 posts, read 305,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irondaisy View Post
Hi All.. Unexpectedly I seem to be going to move to Tulsa next weekend. Basically I'm getting rid of EVERYTHING, shipping a few things ahead of me and packing up my little car with my dog and 3 cats and driving to Tulsa....

I've never driven more then maybe 5 hours... so this should be interesting

Any suggestions, like, honestly how much does a typical person drive before they have to stop and sleep at a motel (since I'm alone!).. I'm trying to figure out where I should stop along the way to stay the night being I have animals and need to atleast claim having a dog at a motel

Unfortunately I can't drink caffeine... So I gotta rely on nature to keep my butt awake... Hopefully I'll be wide awake and can drive many hours the first day (hey I'm being "positive" here) haha...

Also any suggestions on how to travel with 3 cats and a dog??? This should be very interesting

I too worry about fitting in once in Tulsa, I don't do church, half the time my hair is pink, nose and tongue pierced.. I'm not conservative really so hopefully I'll be fine I'm coming from bakersfield california and theyre kinda churchy people, but theyre ghetto as all hell HAHAHA.....

Any tulsa suggestions, I mean, should I throw away the funky clothes and go buy a cowboy hat or what??

Someone tell me about driving please

danielle
DRIVING!....DON'T GET ME STARTED!!. Anyone in the state of Oklahoma over 50yo should have their licenses yanked... Why: They drive like "little old ladies", they're afraid to do the limit, they don't know where they want to go, they'll wait & wait& wait at a stop sign on a side street, and when you're right upon them, they decide to turn in front of you and then slow down to 35mph. Moderator cut: You need to tone down your insult level

Last edited by Synopsis; 06-08-2008 at 05:45 AM..

Old 06-07-2008, 08:28 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
At least they aren't Californians.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:28 AM

104 posts, read 725,583 times
Bakersfield is socially and economically conservative. Bakersfield is is in Kern County. Kern County is refusing to marry anyone (straights or gays) because they don't want to comply with the recent California Supreme Court ruling regarding gay marriage.

I realize that there is an impression that California is wildly liberal, but it's not necessarily true. Southern and Central California are pretty conservative for different reasons. Central is more segregated by race as Central is not viewed as very affluent. Southern is segregated by economics because you have quite a bit of money in many areas of Southern California.

Even Northern California can be moderate with some very liberal communities (Berkeley) and a few conservative communities (Danville). As the population strains the resources here, people tend to lean a little more moderate/conservative. There are many polls that indicate Californian's want public services as long as 'the rich' pay for them.

California is more segregated than one would expect. Central CA (including Bakersfield) is California's 'bible belt.' The biggest problem is the sheer number of people. Some areas have started building three-story and zero-lot-line homes because there isn't enough land to keep up with demand in desirable areas. I believe there were over 45,000 UC Berkeley applicants last year; about 10% were accepted. If you don't have money, you're not assured a spot even in a no-name California state college.

I am a native Californian looking to relocate to Oklahoma. My dad is originally from Idabel and my in-laws are from Henryetta and Okemah.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:08 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Default Bakersfield Is Oklahoma Third Largest City LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by N CA View Post
Bakersfield is socially and economically conservative. Bakersfield is is in Kern County. Kern County is refusing to marry anyone (straights or gays) because they don't want to comply with the recent California Supreme Court ruling regarding gay marriage.

I realize that there is an impression that California is wildly liberal, but it's not necessarily true. Southern and Central California are pretty conservative for different reasons. Central is more segregated by race as Central is not viewed as very affluent. Southern is segregated by economics because you have quite a bit of money in many areas of Southern California.

Even Northern California can be moderate with some very liberal communities (Berkeley) and a few conservative communities (Danville). As the population strains the resources here, people tend to lean a little more moderate/conservative. There are many polls that indicate Californian's want public services as long as 'the rich' pay for them.

California is more segregated than one would expect. Central CA (including Bakersfield) is California's 'bible belt.' The biggest problem is the sheer number of people. Some areas have started building three-story and zero-lot-line homes because there isn't enough land to keep up with demand in desirable areas. I believe there were over 45,000 UC Berkeley applicants last year; about 10% were accepted. If you don't have money, you're not assured a spot even in a no-name California state college.

I am a native Californian looking to relocate to Oklahoma. My dad is originally from Idabel and my in-laws are from Henryetta and Okemah.

During the Great Oklahoma Dust Bowl the OKIE'S from Oklahoma all went out to Bakersfield Cali to work the Industial Farms out west , and Bakersfield is in all reality Oklahoma Third Largest City Right Behind OKC and Tulsa. Oklahoma had African-American OKIE'S too my Great Grandfather Migrated Out West To..... not Bakersfield....but to Fresno Cali and picked grapes that were turned "Into California Raisins.

My Great Grandfather and Grandfather came from Paris Texas to "Idabel" and my Great Grandmother and Grandmother came from the Stamps and Magnolia Arkansas Area to "Idabel" Oklahoma then they Migrated Up Into Nowata Oklahoma where my Great grandfather took off for Fresno Cali. to pick the California Grapes To Raisins.

UC Berkeley is not a no name school it's one of the most ELITE Universities In The World Bar None. All of CALIFORNIA World Class Cities Are Intergregated and even The Nationally Reknown Cities However the Rest Are Segregated Like Stockton..Modesto....Merced...Visalia...Bakersfiel d....
Redding and they all are in one Valley Are Another ,but the Sacramento Valley City Of SACRAMENTO Is The Most Intergregated City In The Nation.

Before I Go There's a point that I whole heartly agree with you on CALI is going to turn into a State Of The Haves And The Have Not's.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:12 AM

104 posts, read 725,583 times
Default Cal is a good school

I wasn't saying that Cal is a no-name school. My point was that it is soooo crowded out here, one's kid can't get into a no-name school. Cal State East Bay (formerly Cal State Hayward) used to be the school of last resort. If you didn't get into any of your chosen schools, you would go to CSEB until you could transfer into a "good" school. Now, I'm not saying that CSEB is not a "good" school. It's all about perception. My only point is that now kids are competing to get into CSEB, Chico, etc. These all used to be schools that "anyone" could get into (therefore, not elite).

Cal is a good school. I work for a public agency, and many of our engineers come from Cal and Stanford. CSEB has become fairly well known for producing teachers.

The cost of living here (depending on the area) is about 150% to 180% of the national average.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:47 AM

620 posts, read 1,751,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N CA View Post
I wasn't saying that Cal is a no-name school. My point was that it is soooo crowded out here, one's kid can't get into a no-name school.
Give it a rest........ This is the Tulsa forum.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 6,388 times
Lightbulb Moving to tulsa from merced also!!!

Me and my fiance are moving to Afton, OK from merced next week also but cannot seem to find any transportation that is cheap enough for us. Would you consider riding together and we would drive for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irondaisy View Post
HEHE... thanks for the info Now I gotta figure out what city is about 7 or 8 hours from here :P My friend said I'll prolly make it past flag staff and either wanna stay there or somewhere past that but I dont even know cities so this'll be fun to figure out. I've never been past vegas so yah HAHAHAHA

thanks and i wont get rid of the funky clothes :P hahha
dani

Old 11-27-2008, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 6,388 times
If you would consider driving with me and my fiance, we would drive to tulsa for you. Please contact, if interested. We are in Merced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa