Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,148,492 times

Advertisements

Although I wouldn't recommend this re-enactment of possible real life experiences to everyone, I thought that the idea behind this "Halloween alternative" was very good. It is a bit erie and not for the faint hearted but it really gets one thinking about what is really important in life.. Sometimes one bad decision can change a person's entire life and this is what the dramatization was all about. The message behind this is HUGE!!! You have to be at least twelve years old to get in and it costs $8.00 per person.

I took my oldest son and it really caused him to think about things. Wow!! I give the church credit for their bravery in being "different" and they are definately set apart as far as church activities!!! Good for you GUTS church!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 10:25 PM

265 posts, read 904,153 times
Yeah, that is always a really great thing GUTS does.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:25 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,543,384 times
I have always found the method churches use to scare people into a certain behaviour appalling.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:10 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,978,684 times
I like the GUTS bike rally too.

They are not everyone's cup of tea, but you have to admit, they bring Jesus to the street level.

Even for non-Christians (and yes, there are lots and lots of them in the Bible belt) there are some important messages being presented in a dramatic way. Considering the predominant attendee of Nightmare (and GUTS) are young people, and life choices are so crucial at this age, the message of consequences is excellent. If it can move just one kid from starting drugs, from unprotected sex, from gang activities, I am all for it.

We as a society need to send more clear messages to our future...........

Old 10-03-2009, 08:24 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,543,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I like the GUTS bike rally too.

They are not everyone's cup of tea, but you have to admit, they bring Jesus to the street level.

Even for non-Christians (and yes, there are lots and lots of them in the Bible belt) there are some important messages being presented in a dramatic way. Considering the predominant attendee of Nightmare (and GUTS) are young people, and life choices are so crucial at this age, the message of consequences is excellent. If it can move just one kid from starting drugs, from unprotected sex, from gang activities, I am all for it.

We as a society need to send more clear messages to our future...........
That is the parents' job.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:33 AM

702 posts, read 2,516,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
I have always found the method churches use to scare people into a certain behaviour appalling.
Ditto! I always tell people I recovered from a serious "drug" problem when I was a youth. My mom drug me to church every Sunday and I hated it!

Old 10-03-2009, 10:05 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,532,523 times
So, what exactly is "Nightmare" about?

Old 10-03-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
That is the parents' job.
and after seeing kids in grocery stores, fairs, malls, and playgrounds, you think society doesn't have a right or duty to protect itself from those little darlings

Old 10-03-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
So, what exactly is "Nightmare" about?
GUTS is a heavy metal church that ministers primarily to the youth of Tulsa. They operate a Christian based haunted house during the month of October (leading up to Halloween) on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. Instead of skeletons, ghosts, witches (cartoon ones, not real ones), black cats and pumpkins they display the results of drugs, alcohol, crime, and prostitution. This includes mock car accidents, overdoses, prostitution/pimp relationship reenactment, rats, prisons, filth and degradation. Despite the Christian (or perhaps because of it) overtones, it presents the reality of bad choices.

I agree with Annemieke that this is something parents should teach their kids. However, I think this kind of display is far more effective than the cops showing up at HS with a wrecked car with blood still in it or a cop giving a lecture using cartoons about taking a bite out of crime. And a good parent (in my opinion) will take advantage of those educational opportunities where they exist. You cannot raise kids in a vacuum with only home grown aids.

For one thing, the kids, the men and the women involved in the presentation are frequently recovering from just those environments, they are frequently the same age as the people that take the Nightmare tour, and they can talk on the street level where a lot of the tourists live. Overall, I think that regardless of the faith of the attendees, the message of consequences for bad life choices is excellent and young people should be exposed to the portrayal of the reality of those consequences.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:31 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,163 times
I agree with GP. Whatever keeps kids on the straight and narrow is ok with me. Sometimes it takes scaring the daylights out of them to get the message across. I do agree it is the parents job, but at the same time there are parents that just don't care and some parents that just don't know where to turn. I know parents that have tried everything under the sun to get straighten the kid up and nothing is getting through. Sometimes it does take a village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa