Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:48 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
I really don't need this and will probably just leave the Tulsa forum. It is obvious that I cannot state my opinion or comment in the way I want to comment because it is ALWAYS taken in the wrong way. It is not worth the headache to me... I am pretty much done. See you guys.

>>>>>
It is obvious that I cannot state my opinion or comment in the way I want to comment because it is ALWAYS taken in the wrong way.
<<<<<

Raelyn,

You don't realize it, but some of this is just cultural norms and differences in communication style from the PNW and the South. I lived on the West Coast and I thought that people were quite curt in describing their feelings/viewpoints when I first moved there. After a while, I realized that they were not attacking me, but just being a LOT more direct than I was used to growing up in Oklahoma.

Here in the South-Central, most people prefer more of a gentle approach in describing their views/emotions. That little nugget of wisdom might help you as you settle into OkieVille and build relationships with those around you.

Blessings and I hope you grow to truly love Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 05:30 AM

687 posts, read 2,350,440 times
My intent was not to drive anyone away from these boards, and I'll be damned if I let someone think that's what I've done.

I've lived in different places and states and have always come back to settle here. I have a lot of hometown pride and to have someone who just moved here judge our city and state the way that was judged, whether I perceived more than I should have, I won't apologize.

Tulsa is like a child to a parent for me. I will be proud of her AND defend her no matter what.

And Raelyn, maybe my methods come across as a little harsh. But I'm being the defensive parent who knows that their kids have flaws, but doesn't need outsiders pointing those flaws out. EVERYONE has flaws. That's the root of my gripes with 'left coasters'. Most of them will tell you how much you suck before they look in the mirror.

I can appreciate you being homesick, truly I can. I've lived away from here before, but always tried to make the best of it. What I saw from you was that you weren't really trying to do that. Maybe you were, but you never mentioned it and I didn't sense it.

Whether or not you come back is your choice. But don't try and put it on me that you're not coming back here.

Good luck in the future to you, wherever that may be.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:58 AM

620 posts, read 1,752,064 times
Default Ignore Feature

If you want to use the City Data forum but want to "ignore" the comments made by anyone who offends you, go to My Settings (top left), Settings & Options and then to Edit Ignore List.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:36 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
http://bestsmileys.com/stoplights/3.gif (broken link)

Moderator cut: It's obvious that we've veered off topic here and not in a good way. I cannot just close threads without specific reasons since they are the property of City Data. We're all free to post on this thread, but let's get back to the original topic.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:52 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post

Moderator cut: It's obvious that we've veered off topic here and not in a good way. I cannot just close threads without specific reasons since they are the property of City Data. We're all free to post on this thread, but let's get back to the original topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa