Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2009, 08:41 PM

265 posts, read 904,394 times

Advertisements

RHEMA Christmas Lights

The RHEMA Christmas Lights Display was introduced in 1982 with approximately 60,000 lights. This year, more than 1.8 million lights will illuminate the RHEMA campus from Thanksgiving Eve (Wednesday, November 25) through New Year’s Day from 5:30 to 11:30 p.m. This year’s display is expected to draw more than 200,000 visitors from all over Oklahoma and surrounding states. As always, admission is free.
Moderator cut: Copyright issues

Last edited by Jammie; 12-19-2009 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: copyright issues. Thanks for providing the link

Old 12-18-2009, 09:40 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
You say this like it is a good thing to burn almost 2,000,000 lights all night for a month............

I don't mean to disparage the joy others find in the beauty of the season, but where I live, without the light pollution of Christmas decorations I can see millions of lights that God Himself scattered across the sky.......and it doesn't spend the thousands of dollars on electricity that could be spent providing for the least among us.......isn't that what Jesus would want? Didn't He say that "how you treat the least of these so do you treat me"? It's a matter of personal belief, I know, but so long as one child is hungry, so long as one sick person goes untreated, so long as one person anywhere lives without shelter, food, clothing and hope there is no place for extravagant displays in the name of Jesus no matter how spectacular.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:10 PM

340 posts, read 1,286,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
You say this like it is a good thing to burn almost 2,000,000 lights all night for a month............

I don't mean to disparage the joy others find in the beauty of the season, but where I live, without the light pollution of Christmas decorations I can see millions of lights that God Himself scattered across the sky.......and it doesn't spend the thousands of dollars on electricity that could be spent providing for the least among us.......isn't that what Jesus would want? Didn't He say that "how you treat the least of these so do you treat me"? It's a matter of personal belief, I know, but so long as one child is hungry, so long as one sick person goes untreated, so long as one person anywhere lives without shelter, food, clothing and hope there is no place for extravagant displays in the name of Jesus no matter how spectacular.
If you read you will see it's a fundraiser that provides for 4,000

Disembark your soapbox at your earliest convenience and get in the holiday spirit.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:55 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrizzle View Post
If you read you will see it's a fundraiser that provides for 4,000

Disembark your soapbox at your earliest convenience and get in the holiday spirit.
A fundraiser for 4,000 what?

That whole display is ostentatious. I would imagine they could do much more with that money instead of blowing it on an electric bill and a year-round staff.

But then what can you expect of an institution that sends people to Iraq to try and convert Muslims to Christianity

Old 12-28-2009, 04:00 AM

744 posts, read 1,209,616 times
Annemieke Roell,

I also imagine if you sold your computer you could do some good with that money for the ones less fortunate than you. I would imagine you would not be ready to disclose how much you do for the less fortunate than you. You found an easy target to complain about but I highly doubt you live your life that way all the time. Before I get blasted I am responding from a computer in a public Library because for some I would be considered the less fortunate, but I look at myself as non-extravagant. Merry Christmas

Old 12-28-2009, 05:03 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBrennanDad View Post
Annemieke Roell,

I also imagine if you sold your computer you could do some good with that money for the ones less fortunate than you. I would imagine you would not be ready to disclose how much you do for the less fortunate than you. You found an easy target to complain about but I highly doubt you live your life that way all the time. Before I get blasted I am responding from a computer in a public Library because for some I would be considered the less fortunate, but I look at myself as non-extravagant. Merry Christmas
Actually she uses her computer for her work, so going to a public library to use one is not an option. You are not the only non-extravagant one, this IS Oklahoma, you know!

Come on guys, the OP merely stated the RHEMA lights are beautiful, let's not get into another hash slinging contest. Next thing you know, the out-of-stater trolls will smell the thread and come running to post their usual anti-oklahoma crap and then the thread will be closed.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:39 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,935 times
Or we could just nip this in the bud right now...

Thanks for the link BAGuy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa