Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 11:13 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Tulsa, OK - is it pedestrian friendly? Mostly car-oriented? How is the layout?

Not that I wouldn't have a car, but it is nice to be able to walk around places without jumping in the car for nearly everything.

Also, if there is some walkable density...are there people around...? Is it mostly confined to downtown, which might close up early...and just isolated wanderers remaining?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 02:05 PM

340 posts, read 1,286,606 times
It is a car town trying to spawn a more pedestrian environment. Our transit system is pretty sub-par so you will find walkable pockets inclluding downtown, brookside, cherry street, riverside, etc.

If you plan on staying long term, look at downtown. There are dozens of recently completed projects with dozens more in work and planning. Downtown used to close at 5pm, but now it's leading more towards 2am.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:06 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Yep, just viewed. Downtown looks very much like a business district. I also looked at Brookside, it looks like one main street going through with a lot of parking lots, etc... and residentials on both sides...things look very grid-like...and basically seems like for the most part, you'd be driving. It looks like you COULD walk places here and there, but things are setup where you'd probably REALLY want to...as opposed to either one could be just as convenient.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:08 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,412 times
Pretty much car oriented. As Sgrizzle stated there are pockets here and there that are trying to become pedestrian friendly but it is rare. If you live near a major shopping area you could probably walk to shopping and such but any further you would need a car. I agree that the transit system leaves something to be desired. I did read where the city was thinking about laying off bus drivers and changing alot of the bus routes to save some money. Personally I would much prefer to walk wherever I needed to go if I could. Yes, Brookside is trying to become pedestrian friendly and years and years ago it was but today you pretty much have to have a car to go any distance and especially at night. I do not recommend walking at night.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:51 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Tulsa, OK - is it pedestrian friendly? Mostly car-oriented? How is the layout?

Not that I wouldn't have a car, but it is nice to be able to walk around places without jumping in the car for nearly everything.

Also, if there is some walkable density...are there people around...? Is it mostly confined to downtown, which might close up early...and just isolated wanderers remaining?

Now that's the 39 cents question Tiger Beer and the answer is Tulsa
is a city designed for automobiles. I will add that if you consult with
your doctor , and you can walk 10 - 20 miles a day"then" and only
"then" is Tulsa a walkable city. Brookside and Cherry Street along
With Tulsa University area is (midtown) (downtown Tulsa and
(Pearl District) (Blue Dome)(Bradley District..not sure if spelled
correctly)(Greenwood District) "are all part of downtown.Uptown Tulsa
is the start of Riverside Park which has Riverside Drive running thur
the very middle of it...very walkable. Not to forget about a area that
Tulsa is working on for walkability (the "Tulsa" to "Sands Springs" area).

Old 12-31-2009, 02:17 AM

150 posts, read 301,118 times
Tulsa is an Auto town. Things are really spread out and the "public transportation" is lacking at this time.
Tulsa does not have a major downtown shopping district such as the Gas Lamp District and Horton Plaza in downtown San Diego.
The main shopping corridor is on 71st St. which is several miles from downtown.
Tulsa does have nice "smaller pockets" of shopping and entertainment such as Brookside, Utica Square, or Cherry St.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:23 AM

3 posts, read 11,342 times
I'd agree with the other responses. You can craft a walkable lifestyle for yourself in Tulsa, but you would be pretty lonely on the sidewalk. In the area between Cherry St (15th St) and Univ of Tulsa, there are grocery stores, coffee shops, doctors, post offices, restaurants, and pretty much all of your everyday needs. I walk in that area a lot, and it is not uncommon for me to walk a mile and not pass a single other pedestrian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: