Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:08 AM

52 posts, read 158,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I found this on Wikipedia.

Among the most geographically diverse states, Oklahoma is one of four to harbor more than 10 distinct ecological regions, with 11 in its borders — more per square mile than in any other state. Its western and eastern halves, however, are marked by extreme differences in geographical diversity: Eastern Oklahoma touches eight ecological regions and its western half contains three.

Happywacko, I like it here. And yes I have been to other places. Last year I spent 5 months in Middletown NY. Three years ago I was living just outside Tucson in the town to Benson. Before that I was in Ogallala, NE. I have also lived in Euless, TX, I have traveled all over the US and parts of Europe. Does Oklahoma's Ozarks look like the Alps? No. Do we have a Grand Canyon? No. Can you buy a beach front home in Tulsa and watch the whales? Of course not, but Oklahoma is not simple, boring or ugly.

I don't know maybe it just me. I guess I'm just simpler than you are.
Okie1962,
Oklahoma is not simple, boring or ugly and I am 100% agree with you on this. I know about the ecological zones in Oklahoma, and we do have seen a cactus under a birch tree. For some "mystical" reasons however most people prefer to go to Alps, Bay area, Cap Cod, etc. Despite all those ecological zones, I cannot name a single national attraction in Oklahoma. It's okay with me and apparently with you, but I am always concerned about kids. When someone tells me that Oklahoma is a great place to raise kids, I have no clue what they mean by this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 07:52 AM

174 posts, read 449,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happywacko View Post
Okie1962,
Oklahoma is not simple, boring or ugly and I am 100% agree with you on this. I know about the ecological zones in Oklahoma, and we do have seen a cactus under a birch tree. For some "mystical" reasons however most people prefer to go to Alps, Bay area, Cap Cod, etc. Despite all those ecological zones, I cannot name a single national attraction in Oklahoma. It's okay with me and apparently with you, but I am always concerned about kids. When someone tells me that Oklahoma is a great place to raise kids, I have no clue what they mean by this.

When people say it's a great place to raise kids it can mean a lot of things. It's hard to qualify the aspects that make up a feeling for a place. People are probably relating to a sense of shared values, community and stable institutions. I think there may be a financial aspect to it as well.

I lived in NYC and its suburbs all of my life. For my two cents the kids in Manhattan are much too worldly and tend to run wild. That's painting with a pretty broad brush but I've known many. I've dated a lot of their mothers in my day. The NYC suburbs are little better. Most of the kids are latch key. In or out of the city the kids are subjected to a torrent of negative images and ideals promoted by a popular culture design to separate them from their parent provided money.

There is little support for the kids. Mom and dad are living for today trying to keep up with their neighbors. In so many ways the entire life is superficial.

You can contrast this situation with what I've seen in Oklahoma. From where I sit I think there is more emphasis placed on family life and mom and dad seem to be more involved. I think they feel supported also because their neighbos and friends share similiar experiences. Part of this I think is the cost of living. Parents seem to have more time for kids. It's a slower pace of life and negative distractions aren't as readily available. It may not be for everyone but the churches are a strong bulwark against negative influences and provide an alternative to the popular culture that just celebrates and uplifts the lowest common denominator.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERISAjunkie View Post
When people say it's a great place to raise kids it can mean a lot of things. It's hard to qualify the aspects that make up a feeling for a place. People are probably relating to a sense of shared values, community and stable institutions. I think there may be a financial aspect to it as well.

I lived in NYC and its suburbs all of my life. For my two cents the kids in Manhattan are much too worldly and tend to run wild. That's painting with a pretty broad brush but I've known many. I've dated a lot of their mothers in my day. The NYC suburbs are little better. Most of the kids are latch key. In or out of the city the kids are subjected to a torrent of negative images and ideals promoted by a popular culture design to separate them from their parent provided money.

There is little support for the kids. Mom and dad are living for today trying to keep up with their neighbors. In so many ways the entire life is superficial.

You can contrast this situation with what I've seen in Oklahoma. From where I sit I think there is more emphasis placed on family life and mom and dad seem to be more involved. I think they feel supported also because their neighbos and friends share similiar experiences. Part of this I think is the cost of living. Parents seem to have more time for kids. It's a slower pace of life and negative distractions aren't as readily available. It may not be for everyone but the churches are a strong bulwark against negative influences and provide an alternative to the popular culture that just celebrates and uplifts the lowest common denominator.
I agree with many of your arguments. The cost of living is very important, and a somewhat slower pace of life might be sometimes beneficial for kids up to some age. Personally though I think that churches are the major distraction, but there are plenty of people in Tulsa that would agree with me, so I hope my kids will find good real friends. I am pretty sure that outside Tulsa and OKC, the communities are not welcoming diversity. It's just my opinion.

I am not sure what you call "common denominator" in respect to popular culture, but in Oklahoma all you basically get is church, sports, and drugs. If you think of some nearly illegal activities practiced by NYC gang-like groups of kids, then I am completely with you on this. But if you think of Disney World and Sea World as the popular culture phenomena that influence on kids should be limited, then I will respectfully disagree with you. I think that the lack of normal "popular culture" activities for kids in Oklahoma makes a strong impact on elevated crime rates and drug use; this is so pretty much everywhere in the world.

Last edited by happywacko; 05-20-2010 at 12:43 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 07:56 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,240,854 times
Happywacko

Believe me when I say I am not a church goer I mean it. A lot of religious folks have made it loud and clear to me that I am not welcomed to share the kingdom of Heaven with them, and that I am gong to burn hell anyway so why bother. Why go somewhere I'm not welcome? That being said I do tend to agree with a lot of what ERISAjunkie says.

Back a few post you ask what Oklahoma has that is a National Attraction. I can think of two in Tulsa. ORU and Route 66. I used to work in a camera store here in Tulsa, and I was surprised at how many people passed through Tulsa touring Route 66. Most were Germans and Dutch.

And I was very surprised how many people from all over the world came to Tulsa to see ORU?!? I mean I don't think it would be for you or me but a lot of other people seemed to like going to see it.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:10 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,240,854 times
Trying to pull this thread back to the subject. I think our friend form Nebraska will find Tulsa a very nice place visit.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:06 AM

okie1962,
I think, I will agree with you. Believe me or not, but I also like the ORU campus. Probably, Rt66 and ORU campus can be considered national attractions, but anyway I will never be able to encourage my friends from other states to come visit us partially because of those attractions. For this reason, we have to go meet on neutral grounds or at their places (like Boston).

That said, I do think that Tulsa is in many ways more interesting and attractive than Nebraska (I have traveled through Nebraska a few times).

Old 05-21-2010, 07:21 AM

174 posts, read 449,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Trying to pull this thread back to the subject. I think our friend form Nebraska will find Tulsa a very nice place visit.
Sorry for the distraction. BTW- I think Seaworld etc. are great places to have fun. I was talking about, say, the glorification of drug use in television and music. Thank you for your comments Happy and to Okie for getting us back on track.

I agree that Route 66 is a wonderful attraction. It should be more fully realized. I thought it was cool to ride Route 66 and take pictures. I spent money at local restaurants and hotels.

OKC is ripe for more major league expansion. I think the Tunder really did well this year and the city should look to build on that.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:46 PM

5,544 posts, read 9,471,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happywacko View Post
Okie1962,

>>>>>
When someone tells me that Oklahoma is a great place to raise kids, I have no clue what they mean by this.
<<<<<

Means OkieVille is a family-dominated/oriented culture.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
When someone tells me that Oklahoma is a great place to raise kids, I have no clue what they mean by this.
<<<<<

Means OkieVille is a family-dominated/oriented culture.
So, what does it mean exactly? For us, for example, the decision to get an addition to our family was partially due to the fact that my wife could not find job in Tulsa. I don't think you wanted to say that there is nothing else to do in Oklahoma but to multiply.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:52 PM

64 posts, read 228,076 times
Here's a suggestion for something fun to do in Tulsa this weekend:

"The 2nd Annual Tulsa Rock Art Show" taking place this weekend (Fri., Sat. & Sun.) at the Promenade Mall. I heard about it on the radio, and it sounds interesting. And it's free.

Welcome to Tulsa Promenade Features

I think I'll spend some time there this weekend.
Anyone here care to join me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa