Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:01 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I wish somebody could explain why Miles work last week had anything to do with the child challenge.
It didn't. He even admitted it when Simone asked him during one his little visits. But the judges didn't even mention that. They are so eager to nit-pick the other artists, but when Miles' pieces are boring or don't actually engage the topic, they just ignore him, they never call him out.

Oh, and another thought on collaboration - although neither piece was very satisfying individually, the best collaboration was actually between Peregrine and Mark, imo. They were the only pair who produced pieces that were clearly related to each other, and whether or not it was "too literal" for your tastes, they did effectively convey their themes. I think Mark took a huge personal risk to allow himself to be the subject matter and I was sad that they chose this moment to kick him instead of giving him some props for putting himself in such an intensely vulnerable position. Apparently only fake boobs and a trim waistline get you points for nakedness on this show.

Last edited by tilli; 07-30-2010 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 09:23 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
It didn't. He even admitted it when Simone asked him during one his little visits. But the judges didn't even mention that. They are so eager to nit-pick the other artists, but when Miles' pieces are boring or don't actually engage the topic, they just ignore him, they never call him out.

Oh, and another thought on collaboration - although neither piece was very satisfying individually, the best collaboration was actually between Peregrine and Mark, imo. They were the only pair who produced pieces that were clearly related to each other, and whether or not it was "too literal" for your tastes, they did effectively convey their themes. I think Mark took a huge personal risk to allow himself to be the subject matter and I was sad that they chose this moment to kick him instead of giving him some props for putting himself in such an intensely vulnerable position. Apparently only fake boobs and a trim waistline get you points for nakedness on this show.
I agree. Peregrine has become my favorite artist. Abdi seems to be moving in the wrong direction. His indecision is really hurting his chances.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:35 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post

I'm so sick of seeing Jaqueline naked, she was standing up looking perfect with her arms over her breasts, that looked to me like a men's magazine photo meant to be used for men's pleasure, and not a woman taking power for her own pleasure. She needs something new and very good or she needs to go home.

It's always interesting to see what Peregrine will be wearing on her head in the episodes.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:07 PM

50,368 posts, read 63,964,084 times
You are not kidding. How many more episodes are there, and will Jaqueline EVER do anything besides photograph herself naked?
I'm not a fan of Peregrine at all. She seems puckered at both ends to me.
I really don't know who should win at this point.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:07 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
i may have already posted this, but peregrine mostly wears clothes by designers from kansas city (where she lives), including ari fish, who was first eliminated from the last season of project runway!

Old 08-14-2010, 05:32 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
The finale has aired.

We never really discussed the previous episode where Nicole and Jacylyn were eliminated, but I guess there just wasn't much to say. So, on to the finale!

First, I would like to say that I really liked the format of the finale - send the artists home with some time and money and freedom and see what they come up with. I wonder how much stronger this show would have been with something more along the lines of this approach for the entire run, instead of this Real World manufactured drama thing that they were doing. I really enjoyed meeting the contestants' families and seeing their studio and living space. I felt like it would have been nice to have the finale as a two hour episode. They could have sent the artists home with cameras to record their work process and devoted an hour to exploring how they had arrived at their final pieces - what was refined, what was discarded. We could view an amusing little time-lapse of them flying around their studios. I also really wanted to hear the critiques of the final works from all of the previously eliminated contestants, not just a few. Especially Trong, of course.

I found the work that was made to be pretty interesting, and here I actually agree with the judges about which was the weakest - Miles' extremely cold pixel graphics. I was reminded of something his father said - that if the process was good then the final product would take care of itself. It's too bad that Miles bought into that line, because it is clearly not possible for technical skill to ever compensate for a lack of vision, or a lack of soul. These are things that Miles is lacking, and all the process in the world will never make up for it. Seriously, he took photos that captured someone's last days on Earth and this inspires him to make these ice-cold modernist dot compositions? It would have been so much better if he had just never revealed what the pictures were about. I was especially concerned when he mentioned that he spent his childhood killing small animals? Suddenly my head was full of the theme from Criminal Minds, and all his weird manipulative charm combined with total self-absorption finally made some kind of terrible sense. I hope that was just an artifact of editing or something and he's not actually quite THAT crazy.

Abdi! I did not think that he could really pull it off. The floor sculptures were quite lovely and expressive when he finished them and I really did like the effect of viewing them on the floor instead of upright. The upside-down negative painting was good although I was somewhat disappointed that he didn't render it in that amazing charcoal style he had used for the last challenge. The "body bag = home" painting sent chills down my spine. I found it interesting that the one judge basically came right out and admitted that he'd been biased against him and trying to get rid of him for the whole show but had finally been won over.

Peregrine's pieces were fantastic. The gallery crowd was totally into it. The cotton candy - brilliant! I even saw Miles eating cotton candy and he looked happy as a little kid. I loved the piece with the fawns and the wax sculptures. Could have done without the puke sketches but at least they made sense in the context of the installation. All in all I felt her work was the strongest, with the most cohesive vision, and I was quite surprised when they named Abdi the winner over her.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:36 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
I was elated that Abdi won

Old 08-14-2010, 08:16 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
i thought peregrine should have won but i'm not upset that abdi did. i think they both did great installations that were very different from each other, and abdi is probably the most likeable person in the show, although peregrine comes close in that department. i agree that miles blew it and i'm glad he did, though not that surprised.

i do think the show would certainly produce better art if the artists had more time to work. forcing the time constraints of a top chef or project runway on artists doesn't really work that well. and the material constraints that weren't even a specific part of the challenge seemed unfair. for instance, as much as i really despise mark and think his work on and especially off the show is crap, he primarily works with photographs of models and it would have been fair enough to let him hire models for his pieces.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:09 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,529 times
I didn't care for the show, I thought the art 'produced' on the show was crap, and in the end it's a reality show and nothing more.

That short, bald, troll of a judge completely had a hard on for Miles. When Abdi was name the winner he begrudgingly clapped for him, one-two and a feigned smile. You stop being a critic when the subtext of your critiques center around an infatuation or lack of one, time after time. I'm sorry but I wanted to punch his smug little face.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:01 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Wow...I can't believe how many people enjoyed Peregrine's art. I thought it was a bunch of mishmash nonsense. And WTF IS WITH ALL THE CRYING!??!!!! Geezus.

My wife and I agreed - there was not once piece of art from the entire show we'd put up in our home at all. And we collect art from around the world.

Glad Abdi won and not either of the other two. No, Miles, art cannot just be all about the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV