Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 07:58 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNYCer View Post
Mad Men. But that would mean that I would have to also change into a white person since the only blacks on that show are either elevator men or housekeepers.
What I saw of it they have nice clothes and houses, but they generally seemed brooding and unhappy.

On race it did have one moment I love. This Rockefeller supporter is going on about how backward the South is because of Jim Crow and racism, but then she blithely tosses her coat to the black housekeeper and acts like she's a coat-rack or something. The look the house-keeper gave her was priceless. (Granted she might have been the kind of woman who'd treat the white domestics as furniture, but still it was a nice way to show her hypocrisy)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 09:24 PM

542 posts, read 1,099,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
What I saw of it they have nice clothes and houses, but they generally seemed brooding and unhappy.

On race it did have one moment I love. This Rockefeller supporter is going on about how backward the South is because of Jim Crow and racism, but then she blithely tosses her coat to the black housekeeper and acts like she's a coat-rack or something. The look the house-keeper gave her was priceless. (Granted she might have been the kind of woman who'd treat the white domestics as furniture, but still it was a nice way to show her hypocrisy)
I like the nice clothes, but i also like how people smoke, drink and eat red meat w/o worrying about whether they were killing themselves. It seems so freeing. Also, it just seems like fun to be able to drink at work. I know it's not "pc," but that's what i like about the show.

And yes, i do remember that scene, it's priceless.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:12 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Newhart. I liked all the characters and the town would a fun place. But I think I'd choose " Lost", the show just clicked with me. The mystery, the suspense, the existentialism. Cheers was also good but how could you spend so much time in a bar?
Shows I'd hate to be trapped in: Family Ties, Full House, The Cosby Show, The Brady Bunch. I could get along with Alice and maybe Cousin Oliver, but that would be it. Just too phony and nice and upstanding, too saccharine.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:24 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,800,032 times
Diners, Drive -ins and Dives - though not choking out my co host might be really hard. Can you tell I have been watching too much Food Network?

Old 06-05-2011, 10:17 AM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,863 times
LOST
Of course!

Old 06-05-2011, 01:55 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNYCer View Post
Mad Men. But that would mean that I would have to also change into a white person since the only blacks on that show are either elevator men or housekeepers.

If that won't work, i'll take Cougartown because it somewhat resembles my life now. I have a teenager who's leaving for college this summer that i have a great relationship with. I embarass my son sometimes in an effort to be a good mom, the same way Courtney Cox does on the show. My ex and i still get along even though we haven't been together in years. And i LOVE wine!
Regarding "Mad Men" you would also want to be male. I was a young woman in the early 60's and believe me women were treated like 3rd or 4th class citizens in the workplace as well as at home. "Mad Men" is kind to women in comparison to what I experienced in those days.

In the mid 70's I had a female African American supervisor. The company I worked for solved two minority "problems" in one by giving her the job when lawsuits were brought against the company for not hiring minorities for higher level jobs. She was extremely intelligent and popular but being a woman held her back for years, in fact she always said she had more trouble getting ahead as a woman than as an African American.

The show I would like to live in for awhile is "The Golden Girls." It's because I am old and I loved the way they lived.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:22 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
LOST
Of course!
I thought I had given my opinion on this thread already, but couldn't find it...anyway, LOST, LOST, LOST (imo the best show ever!!!)+1!

Not to say I couldn't spend a week or so in Modern Family as well!

Old 06-05-2011, 04:20 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Newhart. I liked all the characters and the town would a fun place. But I think I'd choose " Lost", the show just clicked with me. The mystery, the suspense, the existentialism. Cheers was also good but how could you spend so much time in a bar?
Shows I'd hate to be trapped in: Family Ties, Full House, The Cosby Show, The Brady Bunch. I could get along with Alice and maybe Cousin Oliver, but that would be it. Just too phony and nice and upstanding, too saccharine.
Interestingly idea. "Shows where people seem nice, but that you wouldn't want to be trapped in."

I'd say most any show set in the nineteenth century, including "Little House on the Prairie." They might be perfectly pleasant, but there was too many things then that could kill you young or leave you in misery. Specific to "Little House" their lives seemed to be full of depressing events. People went blind, got addicted to opium, I think Laura was kidnapped by a deranged mother who lost a child, and probably other things I'm forgetting.

In modern times maybe "Friends." They're all perfectly pleasant and mutually supportive, but man I'd hate to be trapped with those people for any extended amount of time. I'd also agree on Full House, the Brady Bunch, and Family Ties. I still have some fondness for the Cosby family. Or at least I think they could be more fun and live closer to the real world than "Full House" at least. (I believe "Full House" was set in San Francisco, but I don't know if they ever even dealt with Drugs, Gays, or even Asian people outside of a couple jokes about them all being men yet raising kids)

Old 06-05-2011, 04:31 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
I can live in this TV show...

The Unit (TV Series 2006–2009) - IMDb

I watched the entire four seasons, back to back, this past week. I don't usually feel quite so at home as I did with the characters and plots of this series.

I was raised a military kid, never saw a civilian doctor or ate civilian groceries before leaving home. Regardless of where I am on the planet, I always feel more at home on a military post or around military persons. I didn't really realize until much later in life the only career I really ever wanted was to be in the Army. Unfortunately, it didn't happen for me, though if it had, I'd probably be dead. See Viet Nam.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:54 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
The Golden Girls
or
Northern Exposure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV