Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:40 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrthwdswmn View Post
I'm sorry, but television is entertainment, unless it's called a reality show. I watch to escape reality, esp. after a crappy day at school or work. Look at the reviews on movies like Avatar, or the show The Good Wife. There are plenty of movies and tv shows that aren't realistic. As you can tell, I'm a fan. I watch because I love the premise and I love the literal, somewhat weird character played by Sasha Alexander. The rappor between the two main characters is awesome. Sorry, there are some that don't like it.
I don't think people are saying they don't like it, we're justing giving some criticisms, no show is perfect. No reasonable person expects a TV show to be totally realistic, but sometimes the writers can go to far and it can come off as silly. For me that's what happened with the empty police station, and people having no cell phones, it just went to far and took me out of the show. Constructive criticism can be used to make improvements, there is nothing wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 08:34 AM

2,747 posts, read 465,320 times
Actually I need to apologize. Got caught at a weird moment and took it out on this thread. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and you are right, there's nothing wrong with constructive criticism. I just kinda flew off the handle.....Sorry Posters!

Old 02-04-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Actually I need to apologize. Got caught at a weird moment and took it out on this thread. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and you are right, there's nothing wrong with constructive criticism. I just kinda flew off the handle.....Sorry Posters!
No worries, we all do that sometimes

Old 02-04-2011, 03:10 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
It happened in Detroit, the gunman, who was wanted for kidnapping a child, walked in and started shooting in the lobby at the front desk, there were many cops around and they took him down in probably less that a minute, he never made it past the front area. There were some injuries, but the only person who died was the shooter, that's why it didn't make that much news. Police stations never empty out to deal with one thing, that's crazy.

I thought it was Detroit but wasn't sure.Glad to hear that only the perp was killed. That amazes me having seen the video. TY, det.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I thought it was Detroit but wasn't sure.Glad to hear that only the perp was killed. That amazes me having seen the video. TY, det.
Yeah, it was pretty crazy. Thankfully the guy was not a good shot and he was somewhat out of control. One officer was saved by her vest, a couple others had only relatively minor injuries, thank goodness.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:57 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but television is entertainment, unless it's called a reality show. I watch to escape reality, esp. after a crappy day at school or work. Look at the reviews on movies like Avatar, or the show The Good Wife. There are plenty of movies and tv shows that aren't realistic. As you can tell, I'm a fan. I watch because I love the premise and I love the literal, somewhat weird character played by Sasha Alexander. The rappor between the two main characters is awesome. Sorry, there are some that don't like it.
That's fine for you if that's all you want and your level of caring about show quality is low. You have a right to your opinion - as does everyone else. Personally I expect a little more for TV entertainment (entertainment doesn't have to be crap) that totally unrealistic sloppy writing. Someone that may also like the premise but want the writing to step up and deliver what the premise deserves. Funny how if someone likes the show even though there are a lot of issues they cry "its only (read...what? ok to be bad?) entertainment" but if they don't like the show they slam it like everyone else. And there is middle ground. You can like the show but critique the problems. Or not like the show and explain why. No need to bash people.
And if anything is pure entertainment I would guess its reality shows which are, for the most part, hardly reality.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:42 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
Somehow I missed your apology. Now sorry for the tone of my post!
Although in a general context I think my comments about the way we talk about tv shows holds.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:57 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Has anyone heard when (if) the new season is supposed to start?

And who do you like better, Jane or Maura? (Ginger or Mary Ann) I can't decide.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:06 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Has anyone heard when (if) the new season is supposed to start?

And who do you like better, Jane or Maura? (Ginger or Mary Ann) I can't decide.

I actually like them both equally.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:14 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
Maura...Sasha Alexander is the better actor IMHO, but I don't like one more then the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV