U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:34 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,145,602 times

Advertisements

I loove that show, unfortunately my PBS statioon spends more time begging than programming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 09:36 AM

10,953 posts, read 8,347,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I loove that show, unfortunately my PBS statioon spends more time begging than programming
You can watch it on-line. No begging (or commercials!).

Old 12-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
I loved the one pbs showed last night. I've learned to extend the recording time now... This one has the outbreak at the school of rash. Its wonderful they way they weave the story of the village, how even if their kids are sick most people can't miss work, how most people are just surviving into the substitute fish and chips cook and he and the dog. Loved the end...

I bet that dog has him figured already.

But this was 2005 so I will be figuring out which it was, netflix or hulu plus, that I saw it on. I'm stuck with paying for hulu for the month and there must be something there worth seeing.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:10 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
The scenery in 'Doc Martin' is very typical of Cornwall. I have had a few vacations there, it is just beautiful.
I'm kind of hoping Heaven looks like Cornwall. Or the Cotswolds.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:01 PM

Well, so far I've watched all of the first season and the first episode of the second.

I don't miss Elaine - I grew tired pretty quickly of her surliness and disregard for the fact that the doctor was her boss. I like Pauline much better but I don't know yet if she will continue as his receptionist, because in that episode, he tells her that he will be interviewing others for the job.

I have to admit that I didn't see the story coming about the couple who practiced S&M. Kind of caught me off guard. LOL

Old 12-08-2012, 08:03 PM

And, hey!

Is he EVER going to feed that damn dog?????

Old 12-10-2012, 12:08 PM

28,760 posts, read 2,359,706 times
I love Martin Clunes. In addition to all the Doc Martin episodes (and movies) I also watched him in Reggie Perrin. Reggie Perrin is a sitcom and very funny.
This grew into looking for other British TV shows. Carolyn Catz from Doc Martin also stars in Murder in Suburbia (with Lisa Faulkner) which I enjoyed a lot. Then I watched and enjoyed Steven Fry in Kingdom. Now I am watching another British show called Rosemary & Thyme. Hmm, I sense a theme here. It turns out I like British TV! Oh, there's another show called Sherlock that is good. I get all these on netflix.
And if you go to youtube you can see Martin Clunes chatting it up on talk shows in his homeland. He really seems to be genuinely charming and happy.

Last edited by geebabe; 12-10-2012 at 12:33 PM..

Old 12-10-2012, 04:41 PM

10,542 posts, read 4,675,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I needed to take a break from my Dallas and Dynasty marathon and started watching Doc Martin over the weekend.

Who here watches it?

I am so far up to episode four or five and I am really enjoying it. It's kind of a British Northern Exposure, but I think better written.

And I love the scenery - a little Waking Ned Devine-ish.

I do find Elaine a little annoying and I hope they tone her down a bit (whoops - I just looked up Doc Martin on IMDB and I see Elaine is on only six episodes ).
I loved Northern Exposure and I love Doc Martin, have watched all 5 series twice. "Ballykissangel"-weird name to American ears-and "Kingdom" w/Stephen Fry are also great UK series in the same vein.
Elaine the receptionist annoyed the out of me, but thank goodness she is gone. Her replacement, Pauline, sticks around for a few seasons-I like her a lot better.
A 6th series (which is said to be the final one ) is set to film & air next year-I can't wait !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I've seen some parts of Men Behaving Badly, the one with the co-star. I've also seen Martin Clune in a situation comedy where he plays, I think a teenager or young adult, still lving with his parents. I can't recall the name.
"No Place Like Home", I used to watch it ages ago on PBS, before he became famous (I'd never heard of him).

No Place Like Home (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Martin Clunes - No Place Like Home - 1983 - YouTube

and I watched the UK (original) version of MBB on YT, it was okay.

He is excellent in the show "William & Mary" (w/Julie Graham), which is also on YT.
Season 1, episode 1, part 1-

William and Mary - Series 1, Ep 1, Part 1/3 - YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The first movie with the Doc Martin character, stars and was co-written by Craig Ferguson, who is partially responsible for the creation of the character. IMO, this was the better of the 2 movies. Was Martin Clune ever on Craig Ferguson's US show? I had always hoped he would make an appearance. I also love Caroline Catz and have seen her in a few things.
It gets a bit confusing: Craig Ferguson (writer/actor) debuted a version of doctor character played by Martin Clunes in small role at start of the film "Saving Grace" (2000).
Saving Grace (2000 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Then there were two made-for-tv movies called:
Doc Martin (2001) Doc Martin (TV 2001) - IMDb
& Doc Martin and the Legend of the Cloutie (2003) Doc Martin and the Legend of the Cloutie (TV 2003) - IMDb
but they were still a far cry from how the later series & his character turned out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
I love Martin Clunes. In addition to all the Doc Martin episodes (and movies) I also watched him in Reggie Perrin. Reggie Perrin is a sitcom and very funny.
This grew into looking for other British TV shows. Carolyn Catz from Doc Martin also stars in Murder in Suburbia (with Lisa Faulkner) which I enjoyed a lot. Then I watched and enjoyed Steven Fry in Kingdom. Now I am watching another British show called Rosemary & Thyme. Hmm, I sense a theme here. It turns out I like British TV! Oh, there's another show called Sherlock that is good. I get all these on netflix.
And if you go to youtube you can see Martin Clunes chatting it up on talk shows in his homeland. He really seems to be genuinely charming and happy.
It was from watching Doc Martin that I started watching Murder in Suburbia, which I enjoyed. She was just in the most recent season of the UK crime drama DCI Banks.
Rosemary & Thyme was another good one, but if I don't finish up this comment, I'll never get it posted.
I think we need another thread to rhapsodize about great British shows

Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 PM

17,356 posts, read 3,528,493 times
I have just begun watching the show for the 1st time on hulu.com

Clever, funny, irreverent and yes, that lovely scenery! Enjoying the show-just on episode 4-5 now! Main character is great-and yes, show is similar to NExp. I will not miss Elaine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Well, so far I've watched all of the first season and the first episode of the second.

I don't miss Elaine - I grew tired pretty quickly of her surliness and disregard for the fact that the doctor was her boss. I like Pauline much better but I don't know yet if she will continue as his receptionist, because in that episode, he tells her that he will be interviewing others for the job.

I have to admit that I didn't see the story coming about the couple who practiced S&M. Kind of caught me off guard. LOL

Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 PM

7,549 posts, read 7,974,415 times
I thought Saving Grace was cute and well-done. Yes, the Doc, was a very different character in those movies and he had a different speciality in medicine too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or