U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 12:41 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 19 days ago)

14,431 posts, read 16,743,296 times

Advertisements

So far my favorite episode was the one where his father and mother come visiting. No wonder he didn't care to see them. When someone says his father is a doctor too and he condensendingly says no he's a surgeon, ugh, wanted to throw something at the TV.

The scenery is so beautiful. Won't happen but I'd like to see Cornwall some day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 02:20 AM

10,423 posts, read 9,494,153 times
I've watched all the episodes through Season 5 which I think ended last October. Very entertaining and a nice break from American television programs - even though many of the American programs are copycats of British ones. Those Brits are the true innovators! Looking forward to Season 6, if it comes back. I read that it will.

Last edited by HereOnMars; 01-11-2013 at 02:42 AM..

Old 01-11-2013, 11:04 AM

10,953 posts, read 8,370,154 times
Well, I've made it through all the existing seasons and am waiting for the next one. From what I understand, they start filming this spring and it will be shown this fall.

Martin can be such a jerk but Clunes plays him to perfection, in my opinion.

I don't want to say too much and give too much away for those who are still working their way through, but I liked Elaine's replacement, her cousin Pauline, so much better. I was sorry to see her go and wished they had given her departure a little more attention.

I also didn't really like how they dealt with Aunt Joan's departure.

But those two things aside, I'm looking forward to picking up where the show last left off; I may go back and re-watch the entire series again just prior to it so that everything is fresh in my mind when the new season starts.

I guess I'm overdosing a little on British t.v. because I'm currently also watching Downton Abbey and have started watching Ballykissangel.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:24 AM

Oh, and I wanted to add that I really like the addition of Eileen Atkins to the cast as Martin's other aunt. I'm a big fan of the movie, Cold Comfort Farm, and it was nice to see her in something else, playing an entirely different character.

She has an interesting personal history, coming from very humble beginnings, and is quite the accomplished actress, as well as having writing credits to her name, including for Upstairs, Downstairs.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing her next season, assuming she will be back (I haven't seen anything to the contrary).

Old 01-11-2013, 02:26 PM

2,489 posts, read 6,459,529 times
Just discovered this on Hulu! Love it! Quirky show

Old 01-11-2013, 03:27 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,492,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
And, hey!

Is he EVER going to feed that damn dog?????
No, because as he repeatedly explains, it's not HIS DOG!

Old 01-11-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
No, because as he repeatedly explains, it's not HIS DOG!
Actually, the dog ended up disappearing. It was there at the end of one season and not there the next and I don't think they ever explained where it went - or even where it had come from.

Probably starved to death.

To be honest, I was always hoping that he would end up giving in to the dog's perseverance and taking it into his home. You know, to show a kindler, gentler, more compassionate side to him.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 PM

18,101 posts, read 3,661,517 times
Now that you mention it....I too have been very interested lately in British tv...and their sense of humor.

No tv set in my home, so watch everything on my laptop, on hulu.com
So far I have really enjoyed:

Spy (comedy)
Whites (comedy/cancelled now, but oh so funny)
Doc Martin
And several others...Peekaboo?

And British comedy movies.... ie Death at a Funeral.

Anyone remember Benny Hill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Well, I've made it through all the existing seasons and am waiting for the next one. From what I understand, they start filming this spring and it will be shown this fall.

Martin can be such a jerk but Clunes plays him to perfection, in my opinion.

I don't want to say too much and give too much away for those who are still working their way through, but I liked Elaine's replacement, her cousin Pauline, so much better. I was sorry to see her go and wished they had given her departure a little more attention.

I also didn't really like how they dealt with Aunt Joan's departure.

But those two things aside, I'm looking forward to picking up where the show last left off; I may go back and re-watch the entire series again just prior to it so that everything is fresh in my mind when the new season starts.

I guess I'm overdosing a little on British t.v. because I'm currently also watching Downton Abbey and have started watching Ballykissangel.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:38 PM

4,313 posts, read 269,197 times
I love Doc Martin and I have all five seasons on DVD. Can't wait to get season 6, when it comes out.

I also have all of Midsomer Murders, Ballykissangel, Hamish MacBeth, Foyles War, Rosemary & Thyme, plus all of the Piorot and Miss Marples dvds, & some of Jonathan Creek. I'd like to get more British shows on dvd, so if anyone has any they would like to suggest, I would love it.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Now that you mention it....I too have been very interested lately in British tv...and their sense of humor.

No tv set in my home, so watch everything on my laptop, on hulu.com
So far I have really enjoyed:

Spy (comedy)
Whites (comedy/cancelled now, but oh so funny)
Doc Martin
And several others...Peekaboo?

And British comedy movies.... ie Death at a Funeral.

Anyone remember Benny Hill?
I don't have t.v., either, and watch everything on-line.

There are a lot of other sites, too, where you can find things that you can't find on hulu or Netflix. For instance, I am half way through the third season of Downton Abbey - even though the first episode of season three was just released in this country last weekend.

I've also been watching the entire run of Dallas on-line (I just started season 10).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceege View Post
I love Doc Martin and I have all five seasons on DVD. Can't wait to get season 6, when it comes out.

I also have all of Midsomer Murders, Ballykissangel, Hamish MacBeth, Foyles War, Rosemary & Thyme, plus all of the Piorot and Miss Marples dvds, & some of Jonathan Creek. I'd like to get more British shows on dvd, so if anyone has any they would like to suggest, I would love it.
I watched the entire run of Rosemary and Thyme on Netflix.

Have you ever watched Good Neighbors, starring Felicity Kendall and Richard Briers (who was on Monarch of the Glen)? It's kind of a quirky little British comedy from the 70's about a couple who decide to become totally self-sufficient on their suburban property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or