U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 08:20 PM

10,548 posts, read 4,698,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
I, too, have been watching a lot of British TV (and movies).

For all you Martin Clunes fans don't forget about Reggie Perrin (2 seasons 2009 - netflix). Talk about playing a totally opposite character from Doc Martin! Gee, I think I might watch it again.
Hope it's not excessive of me to add (since I mentioned it in comment on earlier page of this thread) how utterly opposite to Doc Martin he was in the 3-season (18 ep.) comedy-drama "William & Mary" (from a decade ago, just before he began doing Doc Martin). Touching yet humorous show, good for family-viewing (but the appeal isn't limited to that demographic).

Enjoyed Stephanie Cole (Aunt Joan from Doc Martin) starring in the 1990's Britcom "Waiting For God", thought it was great.
Have seen Selina Cadell (Mrs. Tishell) guest-starring in many programs, incl. two (separate) episodes of Midsomer Murders. She also guested on an ep. of "New Tricks", another "fun" (lighthearted) crime-solving show (where a middle-aged woman is the boss of three formerly retired male cops).
Lucy Punch (Elaine, s1) was in the movie "Hot Fuzz" playing the trashy actress (who is having affair w/someone), also as the ingenue in the period Britcom "Let Them Eat Cake" (w/Dawn French & Jennifer Saunders).
Katherine Parkinson (Pauline, s2-s4) was on "The Old Guys" w/Roger Lloyd Pack (Owen from Vicar of Dibley) & Clive Swift (Richard from Keeping Up Appearances).
I do like the addition of feisty character played by Eileen Atkins, hope they retain her for s6.
Didn't mean to rehash my previous post, just trying to swerve "back onto topic"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 09:00 PM

28,801 posts, read 2,375,803 times
cloven - I'll be looking for those. Thanks.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:03 PM

14,956 posts, read 26,717,009 times
Back on topic of the show please.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:15 PM

7,627 posts, read 8,041,120 times
I think the fictional town of Port Wenn was introduced in the Doc Martin movies too, something else they retained. But I wonder if they filmed the movies in Port Issac like they do the series or used another part of Cornwall.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:04 PM

1,644 posts, read 4,394,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I've seen 5 seasons of Doc Martin. I hope they do a sixth season, haven't heard yet.
Me too. I even took the CDs out of the library so I could see some of the episodes again. I'd love it if they did a 6th season. I heard they were at one point, but haven't seen it listed on PBS.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:19 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,380,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Me too. I even took the CDs out of the library so I could see some of the episodes again. I'd love it if they did a 6th season. I heard they were at one point, but haven't seen it listed on PBS.
Doc Martin to make series 6 house call in 2013 | Tellyspotting

Quote:
P.S. There's one other thing you should know. The sixth and final season of "Doc Martin" starts filming in Cornwall next spring.
'Doc Martin' Returns with Season 5 (And Some Season 6 News) | Bohdan's Corner | TV Talk | KCET

The way I understand it is that they will film season six this spring and air it in the fall.

The bad news is that it looks like this may be the last season.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:04 AM

10,548 posts, read 4,698,844 times
FYI, season 6 has begun airing in UK (can be found online)-I just started this season & it's delightful to see the show again.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 22 days ago)

14,433 posts, read 16,760,004 times
My pbs station is working their way through the seasons, and I've enjoyed rewatching them but just happened to notice that the first episode of season six is on Amazon for a couple of dollars. Normally I'd wait but after they left us at the end of season five...

Just LOVED it. I wish this seires was more widely known. Quirky is one word I'd describe it with Martin being so.... so..... but you love him anyway. I'm guessing I'll be spending a couple of bucks to see more of them too. Now I'm impatient for the next one.

One of the people leaving comments said that since season six is being well recieved there are plans or ongoing seasons. I sure hop it works out that way.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:32 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,185,042 times
I just finished binge watching the entire 5 seasons of this on Netflix. Love it. Is something wrong with me that every time he told someone "No" or "Be quiet" I giggled? Or when he told that little girl to "Mind your own business, Shoo" I laughed?

I thought it interesting that in one episode a Dr.(?) mentions to Martin that he probably as Aspergers and Martin just shuts him down. Then in several other episodes they allude to his upbringing in such a way that we ponder its impact on his personality. Not sure if Aspergers runs in the family but Aunt Ruth seems a bit as well.
I did think he was very helpful with James Henry and wasn't getting proper credit for it.

I can't think of anything about the show I didn't like except perhaps how he treats the dogs. I get that it helped build his character portrait but it seemed a bit excessive. I cheered Buddy when he lifted his leg on Martin's leg Since Louisa doesn't seem to like animals either I suspect poor James Henry won't be allowed any pets!

Old 01-11-2014, 09:39 AM

5,106 posts, read 6,099,771 times
I like Doc Martin and will watch it as long as they make it.

Love the quirkiness of each character. All characters. Not sure there are disorders involved because to me each one has its own quirky way. If I had to deal with them I would say shut up or something. Doc needs a barrier between him and the multitude of quirky villagers but they are probably the best medicine to his own phobia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or