Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:04 AM

884 posts, read 2,642,018 times

Advertisements

I used to watch ATWT and GL as a kid and teen. My mom LOVED these two shows. She watched from 1956 until she passed last year. In a way I think when she found out her favorite shows were going off the air it got her down in a way. I haven't watched either show since 93 or so. Seeing some of the names of the characters brought back some memories!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 11:48 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I really, really miss the Doug Marland days
I've never watched As The World Turns (I'm an ABC soap watcher myself), but am extremely upset that it's been canceled. The soap genre is slowly fading -- not because the audience has disappeared, but because the producers, writers, and other folks in charge of daytime dramas have not valued the audience that was there, nor have they bothered to cultivate new audiences. The idiots in charge are always chasing after the latest new thing instead of concentrating what has been proven to work with audiences.

When you think about why people get hooked on soap operas, back in the Doug Marland/Agnes Nixon/Ima Phillips days, it was because of the stories and the characters, how those characters interacted, and how the stories were resolved.

You tune in now, and you get underwear models learning to act while spouting dialogue from a vapid plot point.

It really is sad.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:24 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,036 times
Anyone planning on watching Y&R now that Maura West and Paul Leydon are joining that cast? I remember Diane from years back, and I'm a bit curious to see how well Maura pulls it off.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:30 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
I've been tuning in occasionally, so I can get caught back up because of Maura joining the cast (I have to admit that I'm not all that crazy about it). I also used to watch Y&R regularly back in the day, and remember Diane well. I didn't know Paul Leydon was going there, though. He hasn't been a regular on ATWT in years, though, so they could have hired him at any time. What character will he be playing?

Old 09-10-2010, 04:38 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times
Quote:
I completely agree about ridiculous characters like Gabriel & Blackthorne. I could have done without that self-absorbed Janet, too. What a whiny baby!

BUT, I have loved how they have brought some of the veterans front and center (where they should have been all along, which is why Y&R is still so highly rated - they don't backburner Victor, Jill, Katherine, etc., just because they've gotten old(er)). I adored Barbara & Henry's love story and marriage. And I loved how it brought out the forgiveness for past transgressions in the Ryan family. I don't think that would have happened had Barbara not gone missing and Emily not been held with her for a period of time. And it may have seemed hokey, but every one of them did need to "burn" James Stenbeck out of their lives. It was symbolic, but it brought not only closure to all of them, but made them realize their mutual connection, which they can now expand on to be a true family instead of a family at constant odds.

And though the "Chris at death's door" story seems too sad for a sendoff of a classic soap, it is classic soap drama, and in writing it, it gave both Don Hastings and Kathryn Hayes a chance to shine. Kim literally had me in rolling tears yesterday, both when she confronted Katie with not only true Kim compassion, but also with true Kim anger (all that was missing was her calling Katie "kiddo"), as well as when she confronted Reid, then learned the truth about his role and finally broke down. Kathryn Hayes is a phenomenal actress, and without such a heart-rending story, we would have been subjected to her and Bob having coffee and arguing about how much time he spends at the hospital. Yawn.

We will have some very happy endings, but there will also be tragic heartbreak. That's what a soap is. So far, I'm very happy with how they've been wrapping up some of the relationships and story lines. What I'm not happy with is how they've ignored certain characters that should at least have been mentioned. I mean, if Chris is "on death's door", why haven't any of his actual siblings been called other than Tom. Kim has 2 other children; Andy and Sabrina. And with John back in town, how could they not even mention Andy?!! Andy is not only Chris's 1/2 brother because they share the same mother, but he's also John's son!

Anyway, I did love yesterday's show and I'm looking forward to today's. Just remember that it won't be on next Monday or next Friday.
So nice of them to preempt it when there aren't even many shows left.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
Anyone planning on watching Y&R now that Maura West and Paul Leydon are joining that cast? I remember Diane from years back, and I'm a bit curious to see how well Maura pulls it off.

I love paul leyden and Muara west so I guess I have no choice but to start watching y&r. I ahd no idea Paul Leyden wasjoining.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Not only did they not bring Andy back, but they brought James Rebhorn back, but as a different character! The writers had a golden opportunity to tie Reid Oliver in with the community of Oakdale, by having his long-lost uncle (if they were going to have him played by Rebhorn), be Angel Lange Snyder's father! We already know that he was a child molester, so if they're going to make Reid's uncle be his molester (I'm assuming - not a spoiler), and they're going to use an actor who's already played one on this very show, why waste the potential for a tie-in by making the uncle just some other stranger who doesn't have a history with this show? Especially in the final week it's on the air!!!
Exactly. the writers must think we are so stupid no to have noticed who that the actor played Angel Lange's father. Man has he aged. He looked horrible.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I've been tuning in occasionally, so I can get caught back up because of Maura joining the cast (I have to admit that I'm not all that crazy about it). I also used to watch Y&R regularly back in the day, and remember Diane well. I didn't know Paul Leydon was going there, though. He hasn't been a regular on ATWT in years, though, so they could have hired him at any time. What character will he be playing?
He's going to be playing a new character named Blake. Since Paul is Australian (and thus has an Australian accent), apparently there is speculation the show may start exploring Cane's past and that there may be a connection between him and Blake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
So nice of them to preempt it when there aren't even many shows left.
Yeah, those were my thoughts, too. The show had 2 weeks left, and you'd think they could have taken that into consideration and allowed the show to air Monday and Friday...for the fans.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:12 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:

He's going to be playing a new character named Blake. Since Paul is Australian (and thus has an Australian accent), apparently there is speculation the show may start exploring Cane's past and that there may be a connection between him and Blake.
I have no idea who Cane even is. I have no idea who any of these "younger" characters are, except the one who is Nina's long-lost son.
Quote:

Yeah, those were my thoughts, too. The show had 2 weeks left, and you'd think they could have taken that into consideration and allowed the show to air Monday and Friday...for the fans.
They actually did take that into consideration. They've said all along that the final air date would be Friday, September 17th, so they filmed just enough episodes to get through that date, even with the two dark days.

I just can't believe that next week is the last week of ATWT ever.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I have no idea who Cane even is. I have no idea who any of these "younger" characters are, except the one who is Nina's long-lost son.
Profile on Cane. I haven't watched in a number of months now. The last time I watched was when Patty found out about Jack and Emily's engagement - but I never tuned in to see what transpired after that. I never really caught on to who Cane was back then, except that he was married to a girl named Lily who was battling cancer. I didn't read through all that profile, but it should give you some better info about him.

Quote:
They actually did take that into consideration. They've said all along that the final air date would be Friday, September 17th, so they filmed just enough episodes to get through that date, even with the two dark days.
Oh, I had no idea they planned it that way. Makes sense, then - I guess. Would have been nice if we could have had a couple of extra days, though, to give a bit more time to "say goodbye". But it doesn't really matter anyhow...the show's coming to an end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV