Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 10:16 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Agreed. You try to file your marriage certificate with the county recorder and oops, the county recorder is a zombie who is munching on the people who work at the DMV. Now what? And who's going to issue the darn drivers' licenses?!
I was just at the DMV, I think the ZA has already started.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:21 AM

626 posts, read 754,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post

And No, The Walking Dead is not boring... And I"m not terribly bored with it. I'm terribly bored with the Grass talk though and the gripes about the show being boring, by those who gripe about it over and over and over.. Yawn!!
This is the attitude that I dont understant. People get up in arms about someone that has grown bored with the show. The first season was amazing. I was hooked. But the time to tell the story was limited to SIX episodes. Now they are stretching things to 16 episodes and it just creates or drags stories that we could do without. Instead of attacking my views because I am "those who gripe", why not explain what about the show is so intriguing to yourself other than generalities that most would say. Give me specifics as to why this show has you on the edge of your seat. Maybe I have been spoiled by the long winded story of A Song of Ice and Fire and the fact HBO has had to CUT things out to make room and it still being an amazing story. Plus white walkers = best zombies ever :P

Old 02-25-2014, 10:52 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
In reading this thread over all these months (years?) it seems that we fall into separate groups with regard to what we consider a "boring" episode.

I think there are 3 groups. You can be in more than one group, but you are probably mostly in one of them.

1. The people who like lots of action, attacks by zombies and zombie killing. Interpersonal interaction scenes are "boring" and scenes of individual journey/growth are "boring." The higher the body count, the better. The more zombies the better. The more surprises and heart-pounding action, the better. If there's a scene with lots of talking or relating, they might go get a beer.

2. The people who like the interpersonal relationships. The zombies are always a threat in the background, but the important thing is the characters--the conflicts they have, how they relate to each other and reveal themselves to each other. The action/danger scenes are okay, if they serve as catalysts in the relationships among the characters. Otherwise, they seem empty and gratuitous.

3. The people who like the individual struggles and personal "journeys" of the characters. Sure they grow and develop through interactions with others or through overcoming danger, but it's the silent journey of physical and emotional survival that's important. The zombie-slashing scenes sometimes feel gratuitous if the action has not had a personal impact on the person involved.

I can appreciate the #1 and #2 stuff, but I'm definitely a #3 person. I loved the last episode, especially the scenes with Michonne by herself, and with Carl by himself after Rick konked out. Partly it's how they survive physically, but I also like the internal struggles and transformations they go through. I don't even need talking/dialogue. I sometimes get bored by the slashing scenes, and by the soapy interpersonal drama.
I posted this earlier to explain the differences in what viewers decide is "boring" and "intriguing."

Old 02-25-2014, 11:37 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Bowman View Post
This is the attitude that I dont understant. People get up in arms about someone that has grown bored with the show. The first season was amazing. I was hooked. But the time to tell the story was limited to SIX episodes. Now they are stretching things to 16 episodes and it just creates or drags stories that we could do without. Instead of attacking my views because I am "those who gripe", why not explain what about the show is so intriguing to yourself other than generalities that most would say. Give me specifics as to why this show has you on the edge of your seat. Maybe I have been spoiled by the long winded story of A Song of Ice and Fire and the fact HBO has had to CUT things out to make room and it still being an amazing story. Plus white walkers = best zombies ever :P
I was just going to say no one needs to "defend" our thoughts about this show because we have done that already for hundreds of pages and do not need to bow to you types that come in here griping about being bored. Simple...Don't watch and stay out of a fan thread. Simple.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:37 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
I posted this earlier to explain the differences in what viewers decide is "boring" and "intriguing."
I'm 2. and 3. but not at a glacial pace.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:41 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
And she's also an idiot. She said something about Abraham's name being weird "Abraham Ford, like name of the President and the guy who killed the President..." I think she was thinking of John Wilkes Booth, but she was mixing it up with Ford's Theater. Shut up you freaking gabby valley-girl idiot. You're not even making a point that makes any sense.
Quote:
Well Abraham's Last Name is Ford.. Just saying.
Uh, what? That's the point. There's no presidential assassin named Ford so whatever point she was trying to make was just dumb. I think she's cute though. But I don't think she made a good guest.

I just wish that one time they would blow about 50-100 million on just one episode. Have it as epic and as action packed as possible. At least a thousand zombie actors and CGI in millions more. Show A-10s and AC-130s attacking zombies in downtown Atlanta and whatever army is left rolling down I-20. Have our crew be an integral part of the ground crew that has to fight it's way to the top of the Bank of America tower to get the McGuffin and detonate the building at the last second as they escape.

And...haters will still hate.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:55 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Yes, it is JUST YOU.

It does not need to change it's pace for you. It does not need to be cut back for you. It does not exist for you. If you don't like it or are bored, then this show is not for you. If you can't see how much information was revealed during this episode because there aren't enough munching zombies or not fast paced enough, this show is not for you.

I LOVE the pace of this show and am worried that we won't see enough of our characters before the season ends, however, that does not mean I want it to change at all. When I read the criticisms here, I understand where they're coming from, but I just don't agree. While I'm watching, I'm totally engrossed. I care about what happens to our characters and where they're going and what struggles and joys they will come across. Good grief, people...
Thank you!! my thoughts exactly!!!

Old 02-25-2014, 12:02 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
I love that there are enough episodes each season allowing the show to move at a slower pace. It allows the viewers to really get to know the characters and watch them develop and grow (and sometimes stumble). In many respects series like these are better then movies because they have more time to show us who the characters really are, and that view is much more realistic because like real people, the characters are multidimensional. I love this show! It's one the best.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:30 PM

626 posts, read 754,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I was just going to say no one needs to "defend" our thoughts about this show because we have done that already for hundreds of pages and do not need to bow to you types that come in here griping about being bored. Simple...Don't watch and stay out of a fan thread. Simple.
The thing is...I AM A FAN! "You types" are getting bent out of shape because I am disagreeing with the pace of the show. This is the fanboy mentality that gives people a bad reputation. You see things only one way and wont accept a different view. Simple.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:41 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
Quote:
Well Abraham's Last Name is Ford.. Just saying... I didn't care for her either.. Who is she anyway? She was just wasted air time - on The Talking Dead..

Did I not say that? I know that's his last name. I was commenting about that Mindy idiot who thought that it was weird that his name is "Abraham Ford," because it's supposedly a combination of the names of "the President and the guy who killed the President." But someone named Ford did not kill Abraham Lincoln. she was mixing up the killer (John Wilkes Booth) and the scene of the crime (Ford's Theater). Idiots should not do live TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV