Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 02:33 PM

661 posts, read 1,251,049 times

Advertisements

Tony Danza was born April 21, 1951.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 02:44 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Yah my sis and I were watching and she thought he was 70 - so we looked it up. Not really that much older than we!

Old 09-28-2010, 04:25 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,077,765 times
Some posts seem a little harsh judging him before seeing the show. Although I can understand some of it if you watch most of the reality show crap that is on these days.

I wasn't sure if I was going to watch it or not until I saw him on Oprah discussing the show. Now I am definitely going to watch because it sounds interesting.

They showed some parts of the show. At first even the students were worried about him teaching. The also showed clips of students at the end telling how much they liked him. Tony hadn't seen the clips before that and got very emotional. It seemed like he put his heart and soul into this. The other teachers didn't cut him any slack and he was even called into the principals office when he didn't sign in like he was supposed to. It was pretty funny to watch.

This is just my impression from seeing a couple of clips of the show. Only time will tell. Maybe he looked kind of sick on the show because he was so nervous about doing it. On Oprah he looked really good.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:17 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
I think he just looks older. I don't know if I'll watch the show. It seems too gimmicky to me and I don't like the idea of doing a reality show in a school setting and possibly screwing up the students educational gains.
Reminds me of Welcome Back Kotter"

Old 10-01-2010, 07:48 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
thanks for pointing out what a real person looks like when they age naturally WITHOUT tons of cosmetic work done like so many older actors have done---2 thumbs up for mr danza
Honey, Danza is only two years older than me and I'm the one who looks like the Hollywood star without makeup and botox compared to him! He used to be cute but age has not been kind to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Reminds me of Welcome Back Kotter"
Now you've got that song playing in my head!

I think Danza is serious about this. I think he truly cares about children even though it's a "gig" to him.

Haven't watched the show yet, will catch it on VOD.

Oh, on Oprah, there's tons of makeup on him and I doubt much, if any on him in the classroom. I met one of our local "tv stars" at work and you could cut her make up with a knife because she was "camera ready". We all could look great with that amount of makeup on.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:46 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
I always put tons of eye makeup on when I go for my driver's license picture........then I go stright home!

Old 10-01-2010, 01:53 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
I agree that it is refreshing to see actors without plastic surgery, botox and dyed hair. But are y'all forgetting he almost died in a ski accident serveral years ago?

Sudden Impact : People.com

I saw rock it all natural Tony and good luck!

Old 10-01-2010, 01:57 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I agree that it is refreshing to see actors without plastic surgery, botox and dyed hair. But are y'all forgetting he almost died in a ski accident serveral years ago?

Sudden Impact : People.com

I saw rock it all natural Tony and good luck!

I did not know about that happening, Jax. Sorry, I don't read the rags. I originally was concerned about his health since he didn't look very well in the commercial.

Wow, he's lucky to be alive, isn't he? Being in good physical shape musta been the difference between living and ending up like Sunny Bono?

Old 10-01-2010, 02:54 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
I had no interest in seeing the program until I saw him interviewed by Joy Behar. He was knowledgable about the current situation in urban public schools and very sincere about trying to get kids to understand the importance of education. They showed clips of the program and he was teaching (English, not history) -- not fooling around -- and apparently he's the one grading the papers. The students were doing required work and the camera situation seemed fairly unobtrusive. There is another teacher in the room with Tony; apparently the pros' critiques of Tony's ability or lack thereof is another focus of the show. I would like to know that the kids had the ability to opt-out if they, or their parents, didn't think this was appropriate for them and that wasn't mentioned. But in what I saw I, this program and Danza's motives for doing it didn't seem suspect to me.

In a rather lengthy review of the program in Salon magazine, Aaron Traister gives it a mixed review. He said he was prepared to hate it, but didn't. "It's oddly endearing, because for all of Tony Danza's classroom and social failings, I don't doubt his sincerity in wanting to do a good job. I also get the sense that he showed up every day ready to work, which strikes me as unusual in the pantheon of celebrity do-gooder reality shows. But 'Teach' also has terrible drawbacks. While most reality TV shows deliver their message with the subtlety of a hammer to the head, 'Teach' seems unsure of its message, as though the show still doesn't know what it wants to be when it grows up."

If being unsure of its message is the most terrible drawback of a "reality" program, I guess I might have to check it out. If for no other reason to support Tony in looking like an actual 60-year-old, rather than a dyed and plasticized one.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:18 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I had no interest in seeing the program until I saw him interviewed by Joy Behar. He was knowledgable about the current situation in urban public schools and very sincere about trying to get kids to understand the importance of education. They showed clips of the program and he was teaching (English, not history) -- not fooling around -- and apparently he's the one grading the papers. The students were doing required work and the camera situation seemed fairly unobtrusive. There is another teacher in the room with Tony; apparently the pros' critiques of Tony's ability or lack thereof is another focus of the show. I would like to know that the kids had the ability to opt-out if they, or their parents, didn't think this was appropriate for them and that wasn't mentioned. But in what I saw I, this program and Danza's motives for doing it didn't seem suspect to me.

In a rather lengthy review of the program in Salon magazine, Aaron Traister gives it a mixed review. He said he was prepared to hate it, but didn't. "It's oddly endearing, because for all of Tony Danza's classroom and social failings, I don't doubt his sincerity in wanting to do a good job. I also get the sense that he showed up every day ready to work, which strikes me as unusual in the pantheon of celebrity do-gooder reality shows. But 'Teach' also has terrible drawbacks. While most reality TV shows deliver their message with the subtlety of a hammer to the head, 'Teach' seems unsure of its message, as though the show still doesn't know what it wants to be when it grows up."

If being unsure of its message is the most terrible drawback of a "reality" program, I guess I might have to check it out. If for no other reason to support Tony in looking like an actual 60-year-old, rather than a dyed and plasticized one.

Thank you! Took 3 pages of posts before anyone decided not to rip Tony a new one. That's pretty sad. Nice way to berate someone/ something before you know anything about it. Great examples! Wonder how many of you tearing him apart are actually parents; spouting nastiness while at the same time sooooo concerned about the children who are going to be on this show. LOL it's laughable. How disappointed many of you will be if/ when you watch the show and find out the kids in his class like and respect him and actually learn from him.

Congrats Tony for not only taking the time out of your life to get a teaching degree to teach the youth of today (gawd knows that's an under appreciated job), but for choosing to age like a normal person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV