Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 11:38 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,597 times

Advertisements

High standards---reminds me Jon&Kate + 8 train wreck...we all know what happen to that show. TLC should be ashamed. But like many have said..people watch and people continue to talk about them so it keeps everyones pay check coming.
*(I talk about them )
You notice Janelle's and Christines is the less expensive. They have the most kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 11:40 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Also saw that over 45,000 copies of their ebook was sold. This is not including actual books sold as I can't find that info. But not knowing what their cut of sales are, selling at $10 average, that is $450,000 gross.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:33 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,030,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Also saw that over 45,000 copies of their ebook was sold. This is not including actual books sold as I can't find that info. But not knowing what their cut of sales are, selling at $10 average, that is $450,000 gross.
Author cuts are about $2.00 per book.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:44 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Author cuts are about $2.00 per book.
Varies widely. Depends on their contract. After their advance has been recouped, 15% is usually paid. Higher percentage on e-books, but again, it varies.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:13 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,159 times
Kody and his Klan are laughing all the way to the bank. I think all of us are spending way more time worrying about his finances/budget than he is!

Mariah spent the summer in Europe, everyone is in a McMansion, the kids that are old enough are all in college. Life is good!

When the TLC money train derails they just move back into the Lehi house and go back to the old lifestyle. Single Mothers that need to be and can qualify for food stamps do so, Janelle gets a job, Meri cries over losing her "web bar" and Robyn goes back to a Double Wide that will now be parked next to the Lehi house. And they had the fun of being on TV and being "celebrities" no harm, no foul. And I was dopey enough of spend how many hours of my life watching this show. Oh well, it has been entertaining.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:28 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,213 times
Wait though - on Christine's signed agreement it says she is "an unmarried woman". Is that perjury? Or because they were never married civilly, she is not technically telling a lie? She just did a legal name change?

Also, what I found interesting during the Mariah, Meri, Kody college cost discussion was when he said something about how instead of paying the tuition out of the "family budget", it would have to come out of Meri's budget. Meri looked like she was going to have a heart attack. But why - why is it coming out of the "family budget". Why couldn't the difference in cost be picked up out of "Meri's budget" if Mariah chose a more expensive school than Janelle's son. This is but one of the reasons I couldn't live in a plural marriage. That would burn my BUTT if I was one of the other wives. That, and the fact you have all already pointed out: Meri's house being the most expensive with her having the least children.

Maybe size doesn't matter - but being first wife sure makes a heck of a difference in the Brown Clan!!

Old 09-27-2013, 11:12 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,404,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
Christine and her kids were on food stamps, and even after filming began, were still on food stamps, all documented. Christine is a "single" Mom, no job, easy to get food stamps. Janelle, Christine, and (Meri and Kody) as a couple had gone bankrupt.

Robyn left her marriage with nothing but a boat load of debt, I think around $30,000. Many of it was "charge offs" that she never paid.

Sigh...no they had nothing and if not for the show unlikely any of the kids were have gone to college but I guess they would have qualified for "Pell Grants" which would have covered some of the cost. They had no problem going BK or getting food stamps prior to the show.

Now they all live in McMansions in Las Vegas and will live happily ever after or until the TLC money runs out and then back to food stamps (Christine says she does not like to work) and BK can happen every 7 years I think.
Yes, I'm aware of all that. Been watching the show from the beginning - I could write a thesis on their foolishness. I'm more facinated by their financial delusions than anything else.

According to Celebrity Net Worth, Kody Brown's net worth is $300,000. Nothing comes up if you type in the wives's names.

Kody Brown Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

Who knows how accurate that is, but they were biting their nails to see if they'd get approved for mortgages. Even their Realtor said it wouldn't be a cake-walk with their past financial record. Kody has mentioned that now that they're in the houses, they have to make those large payments somehow. I do think they are well aware that the show could end and they could lose their homes. Kody has said several times that they need to develop a sustainable business.

So far, they've looked at opening an exercise facility and selling real estate, but nothing's happening there. The jewelry business is just limping along, and having a book published is not the big bucks most people think. Kody is involved in a multi-level juice detox business and was rewarded with a car for being a high producer. Clearly that doesn't pay enough or they wouldn't be flailing around for a business.

They've put the cart before the horse!

You're supposed to figure out what type of business you want to do, and then SUCCEED at it before tying yourself to a hefty mortgage. The lower your expenses, the more likely your new business will succeed because you don't have that millstone hanging around your neck. You usually need plenty of cash to tide you over before it becomes stable.

Instead, they've taken on enormous expenses without knowing how they're going to support those payments in the future. If the show ends too soon, this puts a ton of pressure on any business they start. They don't just need success; they need MAJOR success to fund their lifestyle. Most businesses don't bring in big money in the first few years. Matter of fact, the majority of successful small businesses still wouldn't support $1,700,000 worth of mortgages, retirement funds, and neverending college tuitions ... ever.

These people just fundamentally don't understand how life works. They never grew up. The TV show is just buying them time. They think they've hit a home run, but they haven't even left home plate yet.

I saw a blurb by Meri where she bragged about how many kids they have in college now and said - "Pretty good for a plural family of 17 kids" or something to that effect. She's clueless. They'd be nowhere without the show; struggling like most plural families.

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 09-27-2013 at 11:20 PM..

Old 09-28-2013, 01:25 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Wait though - on Christine's signed agreement it says she is "an unmarried woman". Is that perjury? Or because they were never married civilly, she is not technically telling a lie? She just did a legal name change?Also, what I found interesting during the Mariah, Meri, Kody college cost discussion was when he said something about how instead of paying the tuition out of the "family budget", it would have to come out of Meri's budget. Meri looked like she was going to have a heart attack. But why - why is it coming out of the "family budget". Why couldn't the difference in cost be picked up out of "Meri's budget" if Mariah chose a more expensive school than Janelle's son. This is but one of the reasons I couldn't live in a plural marriage. That would burn my BUTT if I was one of the other wives. That, and the fact you have all already pointed out: Meri's house being the most expensive with her having the least children.

Maybe size doesn't matter - but being first wife sure makes a heck of a difference in the Brown Clan!!
Anyone can go to court and change all or part of their names. Christine and Kody are not legally married, only Meri and Kody are, so she is not lieing and it is not perjury.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:07 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Mod Note: Please keep posts on the topic of the show. Any posts that are not about the show or its' characters are considered off topic.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:22 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
I suppose they could peddle Kody's mom's caramels.

Or, create "destruction proof clothing" to be passed down to younger sibs.

Or a book on "How A Wet Bar Can Enhance your life."

Or, manufacture camping tents with 20 rooms.

Or start a line of tabis (the Japanese "socks" one wears with flip flops) to keep the feet clean. They are like mittens for the feet. We wore them all the time when we lived in Hawaii. I want the Brown women to have these so we don't have to look at their filthy feet. Yeah, that scene with one of them (Christine?) trying out the mattress in the store still bugs me. The bottom of her feet were so dirty from wearing sandals all the time.

Whatever they decide to do they need to hop to it. They only have 3 years of paying interest only on their homes and then they have to requalify for mortgages.

Did someone say the Mariah spent the summer in Europe? Really? Was she on a mission?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV