Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2011, 02:55 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
But LDS women are socialized from very young to obey men, have lots of children, and be SAHM, and stay married--not unlike many other young women from strict religious background4 catholic, or Baptist.
I have no idea what "SAHM" is, but I am an LDS woman, and was never taught to "obey men." I was never taught to "stay married" either. Of course my parents had an excellent marriage and I learned from them what two people do to make a marriage work. Consequently, mine has lasted 41 years. I think it's absolute nonsense to take a mainstream religion and try to generalize how people within that religion are socialized to behave. I'd love to hear my husband's answer to the question, "Was your wife socialized to obey you?" Oh, and by the way, I'm not unique in this regard by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited by Katzpur; 06-26-2011 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 03:50 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
But LDS women are socialized from very young to obey men, have lots of children, and be SAHM, and stay married--not unlike many other young women from strict religious background4 catholic, or Baptist.

Polygamy may have its roots in the LDS religion, but it is not part of the modern LDS faith, any more than condoning child molestation is part of the Catholic faith.

My own family has polygamy in its history, but it was in a historical context, when women could not even own property--not so long ago--and running a successful farm took a large extended family, and women frequently died in childbirth. Not to mention the number of women left unmarried or as widows due to high numbers of men dead in wars, or other reasons. Polygamy was, more of an economic benefit, and society benefit than men just marrying as many women as they wanted.

I don't respect Cody, and consider their lifestyle choice unusual, not one I would live. I feel bad for the kids.
I was raised LDS, and while I am now agnostic I can tell you from the time I understood how to form my own opinion I had one. My dad never encouraged me to "obey men" and in fact encouraged my independence and what he considered "spunkiness".

I was never told I needed to have lots of children.

I was never told I was going to have to be a stay at home mom.

I was never told that I needed to stay married.

You do realize Cody is not LDS... right?

Old 06-26-2011, 04:40 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Pssst, back on topic of the show please

Old 06-26-2011, 04:46 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
I have not read the entire thread. . . .prior to seeing this show, I really thought that all polygymas relationships were forced on young girls. . . . .but the Brown family seems to be totally volitional, by all parties, the kids are not being abused, I see no reason at all for them to be critisized, much less prosecuted for choosing to live as one big family! Surely we can allow folks to live as they choose, so long as others are not being hurt, or even affected!

Old 07-04-2011, 11:44 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
Is the show not on any more? Haven't seen it in a while (TLC Sun. nites).

Old 07-05-2011, 06:30 AM

393 posts, read 1,497,253 times
I like the show. The family is generally happy, everyone is treated well and taken good care of. They're taking responsibility for their family, which a lot of people in our society don't do. They're not hurting anyone, and I have no problems with there being more than two parents in the blended family.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:59 AM

348 posts, read 850,058 times
I like the show, too.

I don't think Kody is the most articulate of people and it compromises his image. I don't think he is stupid, as other here suggest.

The real strength of the show comes from the women, who are all down to earth and are quite different from each other. Some are more sharp-witted than others, and Robin definitely wears her emotions on her sleeves. I don't think she's faking-crying, as a few have written.

I hope the kids adjust okay in a new city and new schools. Speaking of the kids, they seem to be well-adjusted and supportive of each other and the other mothers. Logan is my favorite - that kid is insightful, mature, and competent.

This family is easy fodder for those who want to knock their lifestyle but they seem to function better than a lot of people, and, they are living a peaceful life with faith.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:31 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Kody's too much of a goofball to be a "spokesman" for polygamy or probably much of anything else. His wives seem to be more serious minded than he is, but they do not come across as folks who could argue for their way of life all that well either.

Can someone explain why they moved to Las Vegas? I know the town and county they lived in was trying to build a court case against Kody at the very least, but I can't imagine Las Vegas being any different. Moreover if they couldn't afford a single home for their family with Las Vegas' real estate market in the tank I can't see how they ever will without a major change in their financial state.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:02 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
If you were in the situation because your husband had a lot of money I guess it would be okay. He could just have sex with the other wives instead of bugging you! But, alas Kody appears to have no money so that example would not work...makes me wonder if there are wealthy polygamous families?
There are in Muslim countries. In the US I doubt it. It isn't socially acceptable so it could have a big impact on your finances if people found out, and as so few people are doing it combined with the odds against anyone being rich to begin with makes it pretty unlikely.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:28 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Reality TV 'Sister Wives' to challenge Utah anti-polygamy law – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

This guy Cody, is really too much...the law in Utah never bothered him, they don't usually go after polygamous marriages...just usually underage ones...but now, Cody wants to make waves and go after them...take about drama...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV