Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2011, 08:00 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,324 times

Advertisements

K... So they can afford gym memberships and personal trainers? Wtf...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 08:12 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
I know right. Janelle sure did wait a LONG time to finally want to get her weight in order.

Kody seems like such a horn dog so I know he doesn't find her attractive anymore. Theirs is probably a friendship at this point.

I think he still likes Meri and Christine and of course Robyn because she's the shiny new toy but Janelle? Nope.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:23 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
Retirement benefits from doing a reality show, now there's a thought
True. Their motto could be "I retired from reality."

Old 10-23-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I watched Big Love before it got stupid so I couldn't help myself when I noticed this on TV recently.

I don't know what to think.

I feel bad for Christine but she had to know he role as the "new" wife would leave when Robyn came along. She knew they'd have kids and he'd be in honeymoon phase with her for a good number of years. She's his first brunette and slim body in like 10 years.

What I don't get is why this guy has a 2 door sports car. So he obviously doesn't take the kids anywhere for a day with dad. They all have big minivans that stay parked in the driveway yet he comes rolling in with a Lexus?

Didn't he have that car before the show? Their money doesn't add up. Kody works and Meri did but other than that that was the only income split 3 ways right?

At least on Big Love, Bill owned a couple of Home Depot/Lowe's like stores. That's money and he invested and then did gambling venues. He's fictional but he can honestly afford 3 wives and 8 children. This dude has something else going on that's no adding up before the money for the show.

I missed a lot. So this move to Vegas. Is he buying these houses or is he renting?
The houses are rented. There were three of them working in Utah. Kody's car is several years old. I believe he mentioned one time that he was involved in sales. The car was probably his "see how well I do at my job. You should buy from a cool dude with a Lexus convertible."

They lived a rather sequestered life in Utah among folks who follow the same religious beliefs. I seem to remember that all the kids, except one, were in public school but the school was mostly folks from their church.

If you like the show I would suggest you rent season one and see what went on before. It will fill in some gaps for you.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:22 PM

There is no way that Meri is a size 14. No way.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:03 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
There is no way that Meri is a size 14. No way.
See - I thought the EXACT same thing! And then I tried to rationalize it based on myself. I've been known (in my skinny girl mode!) to be in a size 6 pants - but due to the (natural) size of my, ahem, girls, I will only EVAH get into a 14 top. But since Meri is built so very differently from me - I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt - until her weight was disclosed and then I was like "Come freaking on!! There is NO way that will fit into a 14!!!".

And just speaking from experience, since the girls are anxious to get the weight off quickly (to motivate them to stay on a program), I don't get why the trainer is not doing more cardio with them (like HI treadmill workouts). That would truly work for them. Then on a couple of days he could throw in some weight training - or circuit training to keep the heart rate up. But who knows what goes on in editing. I wish them luck. The hardest part is starting - and then sticking to a routine. Kudos to them - and more so for allowing their weight to go out on national TV. I would freaking DIE before I allowed that!!! Even when I was at my size 6 svelte self!!!

Old 10-24-2011, 06:46 AM

At first I didn't believe Meri was a size 14 either. That being said, I've weighed what she's weighed and I was a size 16. If Meri has a couple of inches on me she could be a size 14. People's body's carry weight differently. There's less than a 10 lb difference between Meri and Christine, but Christine looks quite a bit bigger than Meri.

I'm also thinking that living in different homes may help them lose weight. When they lived in one home they had a lot more large family activities where everyone was involved and they made a lot of food for those activities. It will be easier for them to cook the correct portions when they're just feeding their own kids instead of all the kids AND adults.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:09 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I watched Big Love before it got stupid so I couldn't help myself when I noticed this on TV recently.

I don't know what to think.

I feel bad for Christine but she had to know he role as the "new" wife would leave when Robyn came along. She knew they'd have kids and he'd be in honeymoon phase with her for a good number of years. She's his first brunette and slim body in like 10 years.

What I don't get is why this guy has a 2 door sports car. So he obviously doesn't take the kids anywhere for a day with dad. They all have big minivans that stay parked in the driveway yet he comes rolling in with a Lexus?

Didn't he have that car before the show? Their money doesn't add up. Kody works and Meri did but other than that that was the only income split 3 ways right?

At least on Big Love, Bill owned a couple of Home Depot/Lowe's like stores. That's money and he invested and then did gambling venues. He's fictional but he can honestly afford 3 wives and 8 children. This dude has something else going on that's no adding up before the money for the show.

I missed a lot. So this move to Vegas. Is he buying these houses or is he renting?
Big Love is not a reality show. I don't think you can really compare the two shows.

He's renting the houses in Vegas last we knew, anyway. Things might have changed since then.

Read the previous posts in this thread... it'll answer some of your questions.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:21 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
The weight thing is really stupid. I don't know why all of a sudden they are focusing on the women's body size and weight and fitness level when that's not what the show was supposed to be about. How does a woman's weight relate to her choice to be part of a plural marriage and her decision to practice her chosen faith? What does her weight have to do with her interpersonal relationships between her sisterwives and her husband and all those kids and their community?

Are they doing a reality show to promote the rights of polygamists or are they doing a show like Heavy or Biggest Loser to see which wife can lose the most weight?

The numbers don't really mean anything though, on a side note. When I'm watching my weight and go back to only eating a raw vegan diet like I prefer and I go back down to a size 4, I still weigh around 168 pounds. At size 6 or 8, when I'm eating the traditional S.A.D. (Standard American diet - with animal products, meat, cheese, eggs, etc.) I'm around 180. Other women can weigh 120 and be a size 8, or 90 pounds and be a size 4. It all depends on how much muscle you have versus fat and your bone structure, how much water you carry, etc. Just because a person is a size 4 doesn't mean they are strong or fit. They could be mostly bones and fat and skin - that's not healthy. It's skinny, and can be seen as thin, but it's not healthy.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
The weight thing is really stupid. I don't know why all of a sudden they are focusing on the women's body size and weight and fitness level when that's not what the show was supposed to be about. How does a woman's weight relate to her choice to be part of a plural marriage and her decision to practice her chosen faith? What does her weight have to do with her interpersonal relationships between her sisterwives and her husband and all those kids and their community?
The show is a reality show. It's not just about plural marriage and their religious choices. This isn't the first time they've covered a non-religious non-plural marriage topic...

That being said, are you a woman? If so, the answer should be glaringly obvious as to why weight may have something to do with their relationships with Kody and each other. It's about their health, their confidence, and how they compare and relate to one another.

Quote:
Are they doing a reality show to promote the rights of polygamists or are they doing a show like Heavy or Biggest Loser to see which wife can lose the most weight?
They have one episode where they address their weight and it's suddenly being compared to a weight loss show? Did you even see the parts where they spoke to a theology professor, invited the professor and her husband over, and decided to take the older kids out east to visit this college and talk to the class?

Quote:
The numbers don't really mean anything though, on a side note. When I'm watching my weight and go back to only eating a raw vegan diet like I prefer and I go back down to a size 4, I still weigh around 168 pounds. At size 6 or 8, when I'm eating the traditional S.A.D. (Standard American diet - with animal products, meat, cheese, eggs, etc.) I'm around 180. Other women can weigh 120 and be a size 8, or 90 pounds and be a size 4. It all depends on how much muscle you have versus fat and your bone structure, how much water you carry, etc. Just because a person is a size 4 doesn't mean they are strong or fit. They could be mostly bones and fat and skin - that's not healthy. It's skinny, and can be seen as thin, but it's not healthy.
I agree with you on this. There's a lot more to the size of clothes you wear than your weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV