U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:17 PM

347 posts, read 633,397 times

Advertisements

Suzanne whang is a comedienne? I be she thinks it is funny she gets paid to do this show...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 12:48 PM

2,979 posts, read 2,873,685 times
Well then explain why on one or two episodes the couple chose option D, none of them? If it's staged, they would be faking one of them. But no, they didn't like any of the three and the show ended with them still on the hunt.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:58 PM

16,074 posts, read 14,020,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Well then explain why on one or two episodes the couple chose option D, none of them? If it's staged, they would be faking one of them. But no, they didn't like any of the three and the show ended with them still on the hunt.
That's a GREAT question - and I believe that THOSE were older episodes that were filmed before they made the decision to film AFTER the decision was made - and in fact I suspect that such instances were probably the REASON the producers decided to film after the people made their decision. Maybe they decided that there was too great a risk that the people would not find a home too many of the times - which would not make for as "satisfying" a show.

Just my guess - based on the fact that I KNOW for a fact that they DO film after the decision is made because my son and his wife were asked to be on the program - and a real estate agent friend of mine was also asked about himself and the client (and film would take place AFTER the client found a home).

Ken

Old 01-21-2009, 01:34 PM

2,979 posts, read 2,873,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
That's a GREAT question - and I believe that THOSE were older episodes that were filmed before they made the decision to film AFTER the decision was made - and in fact I suspect that such instances were probably the REASON the producers decided to film after the people made their decision. Maybe they decided that there was too great a risk that the people would not find a home too many of the times - which would not make for as "satisfying" a show.

Just my guess - based on the fact that I KNOW for a fact that they DO film after the decision is made because my son and his wife were asked to be on the program - and a real estate agent friend of mine was also asked about himself and the client (and film would take place AFTER the client found a home).

Ken
You know the more I do know about this type of programming the less I enjoy it. Thinking about it a bit more, yes perhaps the current format IS a bit more contrived than the older episodes seem. I could easly believe that the entire process is done and over before any filming would take place. Saves money in production, ya know?

I go through stages where I'll just sit there and gel into HGTV programming for a bit and then tune it out for weeks on end. It's the nature of this beast, the unchangeing.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:44 PM

43,861 posts, read 27,529,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
I still wish city-data people would film their neighborhoods and put their video on Youtube and post a link here. I think those would be great videos.
I didn't even notice until recently, but with an address, you can check out just about ANY neighborhood (unless in the boonies) with Google Street View. It is just incredible! Sometimes I "drive around" on my internet and check out other cities.

-------------------------------------
As far as the original thread question, I was always under the assumption that the program, due to time, only shows 3 of the many houses the shoppers have looked at. I used to love the international version until they just went around to all the island places available. I can't imagine THAT many people who can afford a half a million to a million vacation home. Geeze....I can't afford even one like that where I live all year.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:02 PM

374 posts, read 462,374 times
Question HGTV-House Hunters/House Hunters International

Just curious about HH/HHI:

How does one get on the show?
What is the benefit of being on the show?

Old 10-27-2011, 11:07 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,097,329 times
Watching HH now, if i hear this line one more time i'll scream "i can def see myself out here in the morning with my coffee"

Old 10-28-2011, 06:13 AM

374 posts, read 462,374 times
The other line that's I find annoying is "we "need" a big DR and a kitchen w/stainless steel, granite yada yada yada, because we just love to entertain family and friends".

Still love watching the show, especially the international version.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:39 AM

18,717 posts, read 15,435,155 times
The benefit you get from being on the show is the fun of being on tv. I don't believe participants get paid. Realtors get publicity, and someone selling a house gets to show it, I suppose (although I think most of the homes sell before the shows air).

Whether or not the buying situations are real, the homes are real and I enjoy seeing what they look like.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:09 PM

5,947 posts, read 6,822,920 times
I like to watch the International version.

We are still years from retirement, but we have become interested in the concept of retiring internationally based on the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV