Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 08:37 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,249,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This is me...last week, I didn't even watch, instead opted to stay longer at the gym rather than beating feet to get home (I don't DVR). This week, I was around, so I watched, but I'm not nearly so interested in it with Casey gone. I was always curious to see what he'd do, now it's not nearly as interesting, despite people having nice voices.

Last night was pretty predictable...James on a crowd-pleasing rocker that's so overdone between the White Sox World Series and the Sopranos that it's a karaoke mainstay...The two country kids do heavy-handed flag-wavey and topical, which that demographic eats up...Haley's attitude is something I'm torn on (part of me thinks she's a snippy prima donna, and part of me thinks that somebody needed to get up in Randy's dumb face), but at least she's still bringing something a little different and less predictable to the table, which can't be said for the others at this point. The others really only venture out of their comfort zones when the producers force them to, by picking themes that aren't necessarily a natural fit for them, like Carole King and Leiber/Stoller. When left to their own devices, they pick the obvious and the cliche much of the time.

Casey didn't do that, and Haley, while not nearly the individual that Casey is, does at least dabble in a variety of genres. But instead of getting props for being willing to take risks and try to do different things, she gets slammed for "not knowing who she is." Like I said, not sold on Haley overall as a person, but I do like people who don't trot out the same old stuff constantly. The judges talked about the importance of picking a crowd-pleaser at this stage, but for me, I don't always think that the usual anthems are necessarily the only potential crowd-pleasers. I'd rather hear something that you don't ALWAYS hear, done up well. Not sure Haley did that last night, but man, it was nice to hear somebody doing an MJ song that's not usually done.
Did you at least get to see Casey in the crowd last night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 08:38 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,748,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
It boggles the mind how folks compare James to Lambert. There's no comparison....James is a poor man's version of Lambert. His screeching is grating..I could survive it if he kicked it in towards the climax of his performance, but man he starts *off* in his upper register.

Ugh...couldn't imagine enduring an entire concert of his screeching.
I completely agree! Lambert did not scream, he was singing at the top of the male register. James screams. You can tell by the way he constantly has to change the key to keep it from sounding bad (well it always sounds bad to me).

I cant believe people are complaining about Haley screaming when Turdbin was so much worse.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
It boggles the mind how folks compare James to Lambert. There's no comparison....James is a poor man's version of Lambert. His screeching is grating..I could survive it if he kicked it in towards the climax of his performance, but man he starts *off* in his upper register.

Ugh...couldn't imagine enduring an entire concert of his screeching.
I think that Lambert screeched alot more than James did, but it is just a matter of personal preference. I didn't like Lambert when he was on Idol so no reason I would have changed my mind.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:44 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,508,982 times
What's up with Scotty and the cross kissing?

Oh wait, OMG, lol, brb, gotta kiss my cross, kthanx.

Does he think Gaga is Satan? I admit I was laughing tho.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:59 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,285,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Tyler was off base with Haley, she sucked in the first round, pure and simple. Haley arguing and snotting about it? She just has no class.

I liked her, and she's capable of being good, real good. But now, I throw her under the bus. She's gone tonight IMO. Her first song was pitiful, not that that alone did it. She did it, she just doesn't get it.
I think she did herself in with her outburst last night. Her first song wasn't anything special and it didn't help that she followed James. I think she's out tonight.

IMO the last show will be between James and Scotty.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
What's up with Scotty and the cross kissing?

Oh wait, OMG, lol, brb, gotta kiss my cross, kthanx.

Does he think Gaga is Satan? I admit I was laughing tho.
I read an article this morning, where Gaga said she didn't know Scotty was that conservative.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I don't care who wins now, as long as it isn't Scotty. Voice and performance is only part of an entertainer's charisma. Personality also enters into the equation---at least for me---and that kid really turns me off.
These are my feelings also, for some reason I just don't like him. To me he sounds just like all the other male country singers who sing that low. I want someone who has a different sound than anyone else, why in the world do we need another country music star who sounds like him?

I was going for Paul and Casey from the beginning and while Haley is not my favorite, she still sounds different than anyone else. So when I voted last night it was for her.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:09 AM

474 posts, read 902,085 times
Haley dropped back to her normal levels last night. One great song the week before was an anomaly. She screamed in her first song because she can't reach those notes otherwise and she was trying to make it sound like she was trying.

Scotty's first song was well done. His second was gimmicky and irritating. Coasting again.

Lauren did well. But why if she was worried about "evil" did she pick a song with that lyric?

James' first song was very well done, if too much like the original. I thought his second was his worst performance in some time. A kinda-metal version of Love Potion #9 was not effective. His singing on that song was constrained in a very narrow range.

My top two - James and Lauren. But I wouldn't be surprised of Lauren ends up in the bottom two with Haley (who goes). I just don't think Lauren has as much voter support as Scotty.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
Haley dropped back to her normal levels last night. One great song the week before was an anomaly. She screamed in her first song because she can't reach those notes otherwise and she was trying to make it sound like she was trying.

Scotty's first song was well done. His second was gimmicky and irritating. Coasting again.

Lauren did well. But why if she was worried about "evil" did she pick a song with that lyric?

James' first song was very well done, if too much like the original. I thought his second was his worst performance in some time. A kinda-metal version of Love Potion #9 was not effective. His singing on that song was constrained in a very narrow range.

My top two - James and Lauren. But I wouldn't be surprised of Lauren ends up in the bottom two with Haley (who goes). I just don't think Lauren has as much voter support as Scotty.
The teenage girls must be jealous of her looks and the teenage boys must not be voting. Lauren is definately more talented of the two and has been willing to do songs outside her genre. Scotty just takes everything and makes it country. Can anyone tell I am not a Scotty fan? I just want Casey back on the stage, shame on the Idol voters for not getting Casey.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:33 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,315,311 times
shame on the Idol voters for not getting Casey.

Why would you cast shame on the voting public just because they dont agree with you? I've disagreed, quite often, with who's gone home and when...but people have a right to vote however they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV