Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 01:48 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times

Advertisements

Here's some happy news for James. He's getting married, and Stefano will be his best man with Paul as a groomsman. I think these guys really had some good times when not performing.
Durbin: Langone will be best man at wedding - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 01:56 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Adam lambert was more talented. But there were pictures of him in drag, making out with men all over the Internet. That's why he didn't win. Don't think it was fixed at all.

Yes, those photos popped up on the internet shortly before the last week of voting. There was much speculation about whether he was gay at that time and I read, much later, than Adam's gay comrades encouraged him to "come out" -- but he told them he wanted to win so badly that he didnt dare do so. I have a feeling that those many gay comrades may have been offended by his choosing winning over honesty and didnt vote (or voted for Kris Allen) that last week.
I don't think Adam needed to formally "come out". It was pretty obvious from the start that he was gay. I don't think his being gay hurt him. I think it was the teeny boppers voting for Kris Allen that cost him the win.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:41 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,501 times
I am not a country music fan but from the first audition I thought Scotty was the best. I don't understand why anyone would not like him. He is the perfect role model for teenagers today. He is the all american boy next door. Would parents today rather have their kids watching Lady Gaga and Britney Spears?
I thought the final 2 was going to be Scotty and James. i couldn't believe that Haley made it another week. I liked her up until this past week. I still do like her but I don't think she is a better entertainer then James. I don't think she is well liked by the judges though. They do seem to be hard on her. She sounds a little like Janis Joplin or Stevie Nicks, don't you think?

Old 05-13-2011, 03:01 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,317 times
What is this about Lady Gaga's shoes

Glad to see James gone.

Hope Scotty wins

Old 05-13-2011, 03:44 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
She did an amazing job with this! I listened again to her Rolling in the Deep as well as Adele's version...Another winning performance. The final 3 have distinct differences but all super talented!
She's horrible, i can't believe she's still there

Old 05-13-2011, 03:48 PM

83 posts, read 87,507 times
This was the first season I ever watched American Idol. I never watched before because I knew the public would not vote for the best singer. Sure enough, the two best singers are gone in Abrams and Durbin. They should have this show exactly how it is except allow the three judges vote the whole way through. This was the first and last season for my viewing of American Idol because the best singers don't win.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:55 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anp80 View Post
This was the first season I ever watched American Idol. I never watched before because I knew the public would not vote for the best singer. Sure enough, the two best singers are gone in Abrams and Durbin. They should have this show exactly how it is except allow the three judges vote the whole way through. This was the first and last season for my viewing of American Idol because the best singers don't win.

To me AI should be about who will actually be an idol. For instance, who would want to watch Taylor Hicks perform? How would people put him on a pedestal or swoon for him? An idol is someone that is the whole package, talent and appearance. People who buy CDs are usually young people, and they are the ones these contestants need to appeal to.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:14 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anp80 View Post
I've got a question for folks, when was the last time metal acts dominated the Billboard 100? I like James, I thought his singing was fine, is he the next Steven Tyler, Steve Perry, Brian Johnson? More importantly does any one really care?

Can Durbin compete in a market dominated by the likes of Lady Gaga, Beyonce, 50 Cent, Lil Wayne? I don't think so. So ask yourself, what something new and exciting does he bring to the table.

As for Casey... I liked him too but as a solo act? Naw. Both James and Casey could be leaders in a collective, but I just don't see them as being able to stand on their own.

The only three that have any chance of being break out pop solo artist were left on the stage, and considering Idol's record, even that is iffy.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:22 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
Everyone was so disappointed here in Santa Cruz that James did not make the top three that somehow the producers made an exception and our town WILL be featured on the show after all. Tomorrow will be James Durbin Day here (it had been cancelled) after all. American Idol will feature the top four on the highlight show . So be sure to watch for this next Wednesday or whenever they have it .

I am not sure why they decided to do this. Maybe they read all of our comments here on city-data . LOL.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-13-2011, 06:31 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I've got a question for folks, when was the last time metal acts dominated the Billboard 100? I like James, I thought his singing was fine, is he the next Steven Tyler, Steve Perry, Brian Johnson? More importantly does any one really care?

Can Durbin compete in a market dominated by the likes of Lady Gaga, Beyonce, 50 Cent, Lil Wayne? I don't think so. So ask yourself, what something new and exciting does he bring to the table.

As for Casey... I liked him too but as a solo act? Naw. Both James and Casey could be leaders in a collective, but I just don't see them as being able to stand on their own.

The only three that have any chance of being break out pop solo artist were left on the stage, and considering Idol's record, even that is iffy.
He doesn't have to do metal, he can front a rock group. Kinda like Chris Daughtry.

Prime example of a successful group with a lead singer like James Durbin: Muse.

Durbin can 100% top rock charts (where he belongs). What you're doing is comparing him to artists that aren't in his genre which is ridiculous. Daughtry hasn't ever really made a huge splash on the pop charts either (sure, they've had some popular songs but have never dominated the pop charts), but the group is hugely successful and has a very strong following.

Basically, it's like saying "Carrie Underwood will never be like Lil' Wayne, Lady Gaga, and Beyonce". Well... no duh.

ETA - I'm sure James could do it on his own if he really wanted too, but rock right now is a very "group" driven genre. They don't have very many soloists in general. As for Casey, the genre he best fits in is the exact opposite, he can easily be a successful jazz solo artist.

I think to many people forget that there are other charts and genre's where artists can be successful than just pop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV