Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 11:33 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,241,919 times

Advertisements

Since I didn't get to watch every last episode, and I tend to move around when I watch TV......what was J-Lo's issue with Haley? Did she really have an issue with Haley? I didn't pick up on it until maybe a week ago, but I definitely felt that J-Lo had a problem with Haley and it wasn't related to music.

Any ideas? Guesses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 11:33 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
OH, I Am Major League Pissed!

I was lookign of a Crystal video when I ran across the One Touch ad with teasing some one on one jam session with BB King! But no jam secession not even a couple second of closing music!!!!

Old 05-20-2011, 11:42 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,440,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Since I didn't get to watch every last episode, and I tend to move around when I watch TV......what was J-Lo's issue with Haley? Did she really have an issue with Haley? I didn't pick up on it until maybe a week ago, but I definitely felt that J-Lo had a problem with Haley and it wasn't related to music.

Any ideas? Guesses?
I never felt that. If anything J-Lo supported her, hence the plea to save the girls a couple weeks back that got Haley out of the bottom 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovacatto
As one who was very late to jump on the Haley bandwagon, I agree. If there was a most improved category Haley would have won that title hands down. Haley, if she makes it, is never going to be one of those universal entertainers. You won't be seeing her on Broadway but give material that is tailored for her style, and she very well may become a major player, like my current all time favorite Idol loser/winner Crystal Bowersox the only Idol contestant in 10 seasons whose music I have ever taken the time to buy.
Oh so you are one of 184,000 that bought her record (been out for 5 months)... 63 on metacritic... yep Total Fail. Well, on the good side, she at least has more fans than a coffee shop now

Old 05-20-2011, 11:58 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,440,703 times
LOL @ hee haw being racist! Is country supposed to be strictly white music now?

Old 05-20-2011, 11:59 AM

2,118 posts, read 4,160,518 times
Well...Haley is gone. I liked her alot, hoped she could be in the final but I also like Scotty & Lauren and can't wait for the finale. Both are sweet kids and obviously a good work ethic. All that make it to the final 4 have to be worker bees. A slacker couldn't cut it. JMO I think Lauren is just adorablle. Scotty is a cutie with a strong moral code. Good for him. Lauren showed compassion on the home visit. They did not show so much of Haley but the snippets they did show , she is compassionate and grateful. I don't get the mean comments about her. Good constructive criticism ..yes..get that.. but wonder if grown up bullies are alive & well on this forum. So mean spirited at times

Old 05-20-2011, 12:03 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,599,432 times
Quote:
The complaint is less about the country genre, and more about the individual's talent, originality, range of skill, growth during competition, and overall performance.

Scotty has played it safe the entire competion and has not sang very difficult songs (from what I've heard/seen).

Besides, American Idol started as a competition for a 'pop' idol. It's dynamic and things change, but it wasn't a country music competition. It was a pop/rock competition.
Perhaps you have not used the term hee haw yourself, I don't care to keep track of who does or does not, however many certainly have and those are direct slams to country. That is the basic point.

I only watched the finale of the first season, however I have pretty much watched it ever since and country has always played a role in the top 10 of the competition, just like any other genre. Besides Carrie Underwood...Kellie Pickler, Josh Gracin, Bucky Covington and Danny Gokey come to mind. Then looking it up....Phil Stacey, Kristi Lee Cook, Carmen Rasmusen and Diana DeGarmo can be added to that.

If the powers that be really truly wanted only 'pop' idols then they never would have allowed a true country sounding contestant to make it past the initial auditions. So, whether or not it was meant to be a 'pop' idol, they have never moved solely in that direction.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:37 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,220,781 times
Quote:
Judges: Does anyone else believe AI lost something when Simon Cowell decided to not come back?

But, on the judges.....AI needs Simon to return, or get someone that is brutally honest like Simon AND that knows music.

Yeah, AI needs Simon back to the judges chair. His brutal honesty actually helped them, I think.
I highly doubt Simon will be coming back being he's aired his promo for new reality singing competition "The X Factor."

'The X Factor': Promo featuring Paula Abdul and Cheryl Cole released - From Inside the Box - Zap2it

Old 05-20-2011, 12:40 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,241,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Perhaps you have not used the term hee haw yourself, I don't care to keep track of who does or does not, however many certainly have and those are direct slams to country. That is the basic point.

I only watched the finale of the first season, however I have pretty much watched it ever since and country has always played a role in the top 10 of the competition, just like any other genre. Besides Carrie Underwood...Kellie Pickler, Josh Gracin, Bucky Covington and Danny Gokey come to mind. Then looking it up....Phil Stacey, Kristi Lee Cook, Carmen Rasmusen and Diana DeGarmo can be added to that.

If the powers that be really truly wanted only 'pop' idols then they never would have allowed a true country sounding contestant to make it past the initial auditions. So, whether or not it was meant to be a 'pop' idol, they have never moved solely in that direction.
I've missed many seasons but did watch the season that Carrie Underwood competed. She's from Checotah, OK as most everyone now knows, LOL. Checotah is about a 30 minute drive from the town where I work, and I live in Tulsa. She's done her hometown well, and has spent quite a bit of her personal money to purchase instruments for the Checotah band.

While country isn't my favorite genre there is much of it, both very old country and current country that I love. Two of the best song writers (IMO) of the past, at least 60 years, are country: Willie Nelson and Dolly Parton. Top notch musicians, song writers, performers and people.

I honestly thought the competition was to make a 'pop' artist, but like I said in my other post, it's a dynamic show and ever changing. Either way, it's a wonderful thing to have for these kids, and a great avenue to give them a chance to do what they love.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
If the powers that be really truly wanted only 'pop' idols then they never would have allowed a true country sounding contestant to make it past the initial auditions.
The line between pop and country is so blurred as to be meaningless in recent years.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:49 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,698,455 times
Lauren has much better highs and lows, Scotty is just always low in his delivery. Both are very marketable though, they should both win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV