Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 12:57 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times

Advertisements

New prediction: Scotty wins the final after a rousing version of Ray Steven's Gitarzan.

Not that this will ever happen, what with the world ending tomorrow and all....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 01:12 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
New prediction: Scotty wins the final after a rousing version of Ray Steven's Gitarzan.

Not that this will ever happen, what with the world ending tomorrow and all....
Okay, that made me really laugh!!

Old 05-20-2011, 01:27 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
I never took the Hee Haw thing to be racist?!?! I figured it was being said that ppl didn't want a Hee Haw finale cuz it would be like Hee Haw the old show....nothing but a bunch of country music....don't see how that's racist. Lol.

I happen to like quite a bit of country music, Scotty and Lauren were just never my favorites.

Oh and Scotty will win by a landslide.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:28 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Jill61 - the funny thing about comparing Idol performers to current stars....did you watch Bruno Mars? He sucks. Any of the last six Idol finalists sing better than him.

All the girls in the top 13 sing better than Rihanna, K$sha, or Katie Perry.

Comparing Haley to the best is a reasonable thing to do. Scotty is 95% the singer many traditional male country singers are.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:38 PM

474 posts, read 905,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
The complaint is less about the country genre, and more about the individual's talent, originality, range of skill, growth during competition, and overall performance.

Scotty has played it safe the entire competion and has not sang very difficult songs (from what I've heard/seen).

Besides, American Idol started as a competition for a 'pop' idol. It's dynamic and things change, but it wasn't a country music competition. It was a pop/rock competition.
How many times did Simon say "this is a singing competition" in past seasons? He didn't say it was a pop singing competition. If Idol didn't want country singers they would have the judges not let them get to Hollywood. Idol wants stars. I don't really think they care much what kind of music they sing. The voters decide.

I agree Scotty has generally stayed in his comfort zone. And he is really good in it. But he has shown, often enough, that he can hit some different notes and doesn't have to scream to hide it when he can't (like Haley does).

In some ways I find it implausible that two country singers have so much voter support since country music isn't overall as popular as other styles. But hip hop makes no sense for a show like Idol. I suspect Idol in its current form is completely unappealing to many of the people who listen to whats on the radio today.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:39 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

Jill61 - the funny thing about comparing Idol performers to current stars....did you watch Bruno Mars? He sucks. Any of the last six Idol finalists sing better than him.

All the girls in the top 13 sing better than Rihanna, K$sha, or Katie Perry.

Comparing Haley to the best is a reasonable thing to do. Scotty is 95% the singer many traditional male country singers are.
Whatever. I think it's ridiculous to compare novices to seasoned veteran singers. To each their own.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:47 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,397,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
How many times did Simon say "this is a singing competition" in past seasons? He didn't say it was a pop singing competition. If Idol didn't want country singers they would have the judges not let them get to Hollywood. Idol wants stars. I don't really think they care much what kind of music they sing. The voters decide.

I agree Scotty has generally stayed in his comfort zone. And he is really good in it. But he has shown, often enough, that he can hit some different notes and doesn't have to scream to hide it when he can't (like Haley does).

In some ways I find it implausible that two country singers have so much voter support since country music isn't overall as popular as other styles. But hip hop makes no sense for a show like Idol. I suspect Idol in its current form is completely unappealing to many of the people who listen to whats on the radio today.
The show is an "Attempt" to find singers/entertainers that will have a successful career on a wide scale. There are many, many successful groups and singers out there right now that aren't even good, much less the best. But they find a way to gain an audience, and make millions. At the same time, Fox views Idol as an advertising revenue generator. They couldn't care less what music the singers sing.

I'll bet behind the execs doors, things revolve around the show's ratings. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if there are subtle things done to manage the results.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:16 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post

Why on earth are some of you taking this so damn personally? Fer crying out loud, it's a reference to an "All Country Music" television show in the '70. I didn't want to watch All Country then and I don't want to watch All Country now.

And by the way, how the hell that makes me or anyone else racist is beyond my imagination. Exactly.
Since you quoted me, I'll answer. Believe it or not, I am not taking it personally. I am not whining and griping and complaining about the show, or the process or who is or isn't there or why.

I just wanted to call out people who are referencing these two young singers with a phrase that is obviously meant as derogatory. They don't deserve the attitude towards them.

People would be nicer if they just called it what it is....a country/country finale.

Oh, and I'm not the one that used the term racist. If I had called it anything I would have said like I did above, that it was being used as a derogatory term.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:44 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,909 times
Finally, she is gone. I could not stand to listen to her growling anymore.
She can join Casey now, he can make weird faces while she growls back at him.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:46 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
Default Breaking news everyone...

Haley Reinhart: Judges' criticism intended 'to push me further' - Idol Chatter: American Idol News, Rumors, & Information

Includes in depth interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV