U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-13-2011, 09:26 PM

12,155 posts, read 7,408,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I didn't care for Scotty's rendition of I Cross My Heart but that is probably because I just can't imagine anyone else but George singing it.
Agreed. Honestly, I don't want to hear anyone but George singing George's songs.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 04-13-2011 at 09:47 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 09:35 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,197,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Scotty-Not a fan. AT ALL. Someone really needs to work with him on holding the mic and nixing the weird faces.

THANK YOU!!

I was coming on here to post this. Why does he always hold the mic to the side like that and always, always, always tilt his head? It drives me crazy.

I actually love his voice--I am a fan, but the finger shooting thing he does every week, plus the mic holding....ugh.

Scotty definitely should have sung "Everybody's Talkin at Me" instead of the George Strait song (boring, even I though I love me some George Strait). Dude, sing some contemporary country. Sing some Lady Antebellum or some Kenny Chesney or something. Dang.

AND WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE BUY THAT BOY A COWBOY HAT?

Old 04-13-2011, 09:45 PM

4,501 posts, read 1,856,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
No, I was saying that earlier. I agree about Paul's teeth - thought I was the only one who doesn't like that chicklet white look.
Glad somebody agreed about the James thing. With all the flack other contestants caught for being arrogant, conceited, etc, I was surprised that was allowed to slide.

LMAO at the "chicklet white look" comment. So true...Reminds me of Mr. Wilson when Dennis changed his dentures.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:50 PM

79 posts, read 58,417 times
Both Casey and Scotty disagreed with the mentors tonight on what song they should sing, so I don't think James was out of order.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:51 PM

17,379 posts, read 14,527,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Scotty definitely should have sung "Everybody's Talkin at Me" instead of the George Strait song (boring, even I though I love me some George Strait).
I was so excited when I thought he was gonna sing "Everybody's Talkin' at Me," and so crestfallen when he opted not to. That would have given him some slightly different flavor. He was boring tonight, for sure. I usually love him, but even his nice deep voice couldn't help him out tonight.

I feel like Paul didn't so much sing tonight as kind of chant. His veneers are distracting, even moreso than his funky suits.

Lauren's fine, but yawn on the song. Hannah Montana's just not really on my radar.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:59 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,197,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I was so excited when I thought he was gonna sing "Everybody's Talkin' at Me," and so crestfallen when he opted not to. That would have given him some slightly different flavor. He was boring tonight, for sure. I usually love him, but even his nice deep voice couldn't help him out tonight.
Exactly. If Scotty isn't gonna sing contemporary, at least get out of that 90s rut he's in (Elvis excluded).

Also, his backup singers were way, way off. During the first chorus, it seemed as if Scotty stopped singing for a few bars....they seemed to be in different key?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:12 PM

14,699 posts, read 13,562,195 times
Was it really fair for Durbin to have Zakk Wylde playing guitar during his performance? Hell, anyone could sound good with ZW playing behind them.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 PM

24,929 posts, read 31,778,737 times
Casey was incredible tonight. I want to buy his version of that song. He was my overall favorite tonight.

James, Jacob and Stefano were my other favorites. Lauren and Paul were great too. Scotty and Haley were the two weakest for me tonight but for the 3rd time in a row, I thoroughly enjoyed the show overall. Which is odd cause normally I wasnt able to stand sitting through the entire hour and change of season's past cause there were so many tepid performers with a few standouts. This year there are many standouts and that is awesome.

I agree with the judges. We're seeing more artists than just singers and that is really increasing the quality and caliber of the performances imo.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:21 PM

533 posts, read 321,872 times
First, I really enjoyed the show tonight! I think this group of kids is really, really talented. It's almost becoming difficult to pick who to vote for........for me, that is.

I still love James. I am NOT a "Heavy Metal" fan at all, but his performance was incredible! If that young man doesn't get some kind of recording contract then they're all nuts! But I think he will. I don't think he did himself any favors with his selection tonight, as a lot of "us older folks who vote" don't like metal---but I voted most for him because he really brought it, IMO. So many posters have commented that it's mainly the teens that vote, though, so maybe it doesn't matter at all.

I was proud of Stefano for getting in there and fighting for it. I don't think he will win, but stranger things have happened.......again, I just find him very likeable. Seems like a genuinely nice kid. Pleasant voice, but not a big one like some of the contestants.

Jacob has a wonderful voice, and his performance was great tonight. I don't think he is meaning to be arrogant with his comments, just trying to formulate a "sound bite". At least that's my take on it.

I haven't been a big fan of Haley's (don't dislike her, she's just not my favorite), but tonight I disagreed with the judges. I thought she did a good job with her song. Bright, vibrant, compelling.

Paul, again not my fav, doesn't really appeal to me as a singer. He seems like a great person, but I just don't like his style, I guess. Someone mentioned "Blackbird" earlier, and I agree that it was pretty much the only one of his I've really liked.

Casey----wow---he surprised me tonight! I've found him interesting before, but tonight I thought he was fabulous!

Lauren is so young. Yet what a dynamic little gal she is, with a good, strong voice and pleasing personality. I think she did a great job tonight. Great future!

I think that leaves Scotty. I'm usually impressed by his singing, but not tonight---not at all. i was disappointed in the whole thing. I, too, thought the background singers/musicians really overpowered him in tonight's arrangement, and, unlike the judges, don't think he chose the best song. But, hey, i'm certainly no expert!!!! And I still think he has a wonderful future in the business, only getting better and better as time goes on and he matures. He's only 17!!!

I loved JLo's comment about "they want us to be more critical, but you're all so good there's nothing to criticise" or something similar to that. Guess someone there reads some postings or is simply getting messages on her own website.

Does anyone else think Steven doesn't get much time to comment? Don't know if he'd have more to say, but he never gets the chance. He's almost always last judge to speak, or is that just my imagination?

Someone mentioned the well-known guitarist who played with James......who arranges that? The producers? The kids? Who decides the staging and special effects? The costumes? How much do the contestants have to do with it all, because it does seem unevenly distributed. James' performances have had some incredible staging--professional, even, yet I'm thinking that's all his doing. Oh, BTW, I didn't think they were rude when talking to the producer, James included, simply strong enough to know their own idenity. And willing to take a risk.

Sorry to make this so long, but, in my circle of friends,I don't know anyone to talk to about this show, and I do enjoy it. Thanks for the chance to put in my 2 cent's worth! And at this point, I wouldn't make any bets on who will win..........

Old 04-13-2011, 11:32 PM

3,321 posts, read 2,851,389 times
Default JMO's

Too bad...so sad, but I think Steven Tyler sealed Paul's fate when he declared that the sax player stole the show and that he only "liked" his song. Bad move on Paul's part to think he could take on any Bob Seger song ....sorry....

Really love Jimmy and Will's (you're a witty guy dude) brainstorming mentoring sessions with the contestants. I so agree with Jimmy's assessment of Casey's song choice. Steven said his Mother sang "Nature Boy" to him as a child, so maybe that's where his enthusiasm came from, but for me Casey bombed big time! Randy's bantering about him finding his own niche selling to some market and Jennifer using Nora Jones career as a comparison was laughable to me...sorry....

Scotty (little Howdy Doody) Oh lord I was excited about you picking the "Midnight Cowboy" song that I believe was by Glen Campbell - A classic movie and song! Jimmy was spot on again in thinking you were taking on too much in mimicing George Strait...sorry you didn't make it your own It wasn't TERRIBlE though.

Lauren you looked beautiful and I agree with Jimmy publically proclaiming that your voice towers over Miley's, and in Randy's, that you made that song your own. I love your sulty voice and how you can cross over to other styles at such a young age! Good luck on following in other young female country stars footsteps.

Haley, not a best performance for me, but you have some mighty powerful pipes and I'm still rooting for you! What was your stylist thinking That outfit was somehow all wrong!

Stephano, I love your showmanship and positive beaming attitude. I love that Boyz2men song, although it wasn't one of my fave performances. You are really picking GREAT songs to showcase your voice! Keep it up little latino, the judges think you have a shot! Since I've never voted...sorry I can't help

Jacob, you're a powerhouse, although you can lean a little too far to the over dramatic, you're exciting to watch! I definitley see you with a career singing somewhere.

James I don't think you were rude to Jimmy...not at all! It's not easy to pull off hard rock in the idol format, but you closed the show on a high note!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV