Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 10:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I think HBO's first big failure was John from Cincinnati. What a bore.
We stuck with that though! We really wanted to figure out what it was all about. HBO should have provided at least one episode wrapping it all up.

Cancelling a show before ANYONE could figure out what it was about just isn't fair. It's like reading mystery novel without an ending.

We devoted an entire season to that show and still don't know what it was about.

I think we deserve to be compensated for our time! Either tell us what it was about or pay us for wasting our time watching it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 10:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
HBO series survival is not dependent on audience numbers because it has no advertising. It's dependent on awards from Hollywood. If HBO can tout their "award winning series" they can get more HBO subscriptions. So, HBO series just have to please Hollywood who votes on the awards, not on general audience numbers which please advertisers. If Boardwalk Empire racks up Hollywood awards, that's what counts.
Awards don't attract viewers. People subscribe to HBO to watch a good original series. If a show sucks, it sucks. The general audience doesn't care about awards!

Just when I'm considering cancelling, they announce a new upcoming season of one of my favorite shows, and my viewing tastes are not influenced by awards.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:43 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,838 times
ABC cancelled My Generation. I liked the show a lot but the story was detail oriented & would take awhile to unfold, with the low ratings they went ahead & halted production.

Courtney

Old 10-02-2010, 08:19 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Awards don't attract viewers. People subscribe to HBO to watch a good original series. If a show sucks, it sucks. The general audience doesn't care about awards!

Just when I'm considering cancelling, they announce a new upcoming season of one of my favorite shows, and my viewing tastes are not influenced by awards.
Please, when was the last time you saw an HBO ad on regular television advertising its movies? They sell subscriptions to HBO touting their award-winning series. "Award-winning" is always a part of the ad speak. They don't care if you watch Boardwalk Empire or not, or Bill Maher or not once you subscribe. They're job is to attract new subscribers to HBO not to individual shows. They want to be able to say HBO series won X number of awards in 2010 and that's why you should subscribe to HBO.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:55 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,647,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We stuck with that though! We really wanted to figure out what it was all about. HBO should have provided at least one episode wrapping it all up.

Cancelling a show before ANYONE could figure out what it was about just isn't fair. It's like reading mystery novel without an ending.

We devoted an entire season to that show and still don't know what it was about.

I think we deserve to be compensated for our time! Either tell us what it was about or pay us for wasting our time watching it!

I totally agree with you! We watched this show and really wanted to know the whole story. I would have watched an entire additional season just for the answer! "I've got my eye on you Bill!"

Old 10-02-2010, 09:45 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,863 times
I thought No Ordinary Family was kind of lame...

Old 10-03-2010, 01:00 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Outsourced lasting until November will be shocking.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:08 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,943,480 times
I thought the first episode of Outsourced was pretty good - but it conflicts with so many other shows on Thursday that I can't watch it, nor can my Tivo record it. So, it will most likely be cancelled. Why they would put it up against several other shows that have been around a lot longer and have a much bigger following doesn't make sense. I also agree that Raising Hope will be cancelled for sure.

I haven't had a chance to watch many other new series. But, none of them caught my interest when they run commercials.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:13 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I thought the first episode of Outsourced was pretty good - but it conflicts with so many other shows on Thursday that I can't watch it, nor can my Tivo record it. So, it will most likely be cancelled. Why they would put it up against several other shows that have been around a lot longer and have a much bigger following doesn't make sense. I also agree that Raising Hope will be cancelled for sure.

I haven't had a chance to watch many other new series. But, none of them caught my interest when they run commercials.

The only thing I found interesting was the TEASER during the first ep

Old 10-03-2010, 04:53 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
I think the title "Outsourced" might turn some people off, because it's not a laughing matter, but I thought it was better than some of the new other situation comedies. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV