Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greatest sitcom
Fresh Prince 25 9.92%
Cosby Show 84 33.33%
Martin 12 4.76%
Good Times 25 9.92%
The Jeffersons 34 13.49%
227 3 1.19%
Diffrent World 6 2.38%
Sanford and Son 44 17.46%
Family Matters 7 2.78%
Other(Roc, Amen, Living Single, Hangin with MR. Cooper, etc) 12 4.76%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:32 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,936,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
The Game hasn't been decent since its been on BET. They ruined Kelly then kicked her off the show. They added Brandy so she could represent ghetto minded folks. Melanie is just stupid. Derwin is a jerk. Malik storyline is stupid. Just very bad writing all around.
LOL Brandy the singer is on the show? I think last season when it first got brought back was kinda bad, they made it too depressing with Malik's drug problems and Kelly's wierd reality show. This season is better, it has a funnier tone. I wish Jason was on more but that actor is on that show Burn Notice too so they have to limit his appearances
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 08:40 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
LOL Brandy the singer is on the show? I think last season when it first got brought back was kinda bad, they made it too depressing with Malik's drug problems and Kelly's wierd reality show. This season is better, it has a funnier tone. I wish Jason was on more but that actor is on that show Burn Notice too so they have to limit his appearances
Yes she's Jason's love interest. Her name is Chardonnay and she's a bartender and a walking stereotype. She lives in a studio apartment, rides the bus, always complaining about how hard it is to be a black woman and wears off color weaves.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:22 PM

684 posts, read 1,150,071 times
OK, here I go; I'm sure this will earn flames, but..."Amos and Andy." Was on in the 50's, very politically incorrect and, unfortunately, pretty racist. But, it was funny. I figure, as long as black actors were willing to do it, there was some legitimate value to it. This issue could be the subject of much controversy.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:54 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
OK, here I go; I'm sure this will earn flames, but..."Amos and Andy." Was on in the 50's, very politically incorrect and, unfortunately, pretty racist. But, it was funny. I figure, as long as black actors were willing to do it, there was some legitimate value to it. This issue could be the subject of much controversy.

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion but I never thought it was racist. There may have been stereotypes but no more than Norwegians in "I Remember Mama" or Jews in "Molly Goldberg" that were also shows about ethnic groups.

I think sometimes people judge without having ever watched the show. The thing is, I watched all these shows in the 50's with my parents and we laughed at the funny bits and didn't look for any deeper messages than the humor.

And if you are talking racist, how about good old Archie Bunker?

Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,784,892 times
My absolute favorites

Living Single (love the theme song 2 )
Cosby Show
Different World
That's So Raven
Fresh Prince
The Parkers

Old 05-04-2012, 12:22 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
I am having a mind blank here but there was a show with Tim Reid, Jacquee, Tia and Tamra Mowry. I can't recall the name of the show but I thought it was kind of cute.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:27 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,138 times
I'd say it is a toss up between Julia and Sanford and Son. Julia was ground breaking because the protagnoist was a Black professional. Sanford and Son was at the top of the ratings neck in neck with All in The Family for most of the 70's.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:05 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,784,892 times
It was called "Sister, Sister" and I watched it also, though I have others that I liked more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am having a mind blank here but there was a show with Tim Reid, Jacquee, Tia and Tamra Mowry. I can't recall the name of the show but I thought it was kind of cute.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:01 PM

88,504 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
I read an article on that once that was pretty good. It said although everyone would say, "oh, no, Amos and Andy was racist" now, that discounts the talents of the actors who played them, and they were very talented.

Personally, I liked Roc the best.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:07 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,200 times
I'm white,so take it for what it's worth. I think the Cosby Show is obviously No.1,then Sanford@ Son,then Good Times. Also enjoyed Roc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV